Sticky valve

rsfruitbat

Sticky valve

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi
Got an intermittent problem with hydraulic tappet 1.7 engine. I haven't started the engine and it's been stood for about 20hrs but does rotate easily until a valve sticks open. Sometimes it you leave it a minute and try again then it will move. If it doesn't go then it will rotate wrong direction. Until the valve sticks again. It doesn't do it every rotation. It's turned over 20 + times but then out of the blue sticks.
Got the carbs and exhaust manifold off so I can see the stems and have tried soaking with WD40 and GT85. No real improvement.
Any other suggestions to try before I take the engine out?

Also the belt covers have been removed. Any suggestions on how to ensure the cams are timed in correctly.

Rsfruitbat

alfadave

Re: Sticky valve

Post by alfadave »

Could it be a broken valve spring?

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

It could be but it seems very inconsistent on when and where it does it.
Rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

not really any quick solutions really mate is there, even if it got to the point where you thought it would be ok it only takes a moment when it's running for a disaster to happen.
worth just pulling the one head off rather than a full strip down/engine out job?
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Morning Kev.
That's the conclusion I think I've come to aswell. Engine was always coming out at some point but I wanted to try gearbox and brakes first.
With it being a hydraulic tappet im struggling to identify even which valve / valves are sticking. When you can't see what's going on with the cams so I suspect it will be as a minimum both heads off and take it from there.
Rsfruitbat

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Turned out to be bent valves on the 2 4 cylinder head.

Rsfruitbat

junior

Post by junior »

Any ideas why ?

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

I’ve been helping Ade with this and we suspect the valve timing has been incorrectly set due to the engine not having any of the correct belt cover hardware. This may also Explain why the car was sat for 20yrs
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo