Interior light relay

NEG

Interior light relay

Post by NEG »

Does anybody have or know where I can get a replacement interior light relay from? It’s a Sipea 0948 3 pin relay, thanks!

alfadave

Re: Interior light relay

Post by alfadave »

New ones on ebay.it

But take the heart tablets before you look at the price.

Someone on here will have a used one......but not me, I just checked!

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Can you post a photo Neg . I’ve got a bucket full of relays so I’ll have a look
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

junior

Post by junior »

No none of mine will help you either. :roll:

NEG

Post by NEG »

Thank Loo / all, pics attached. I saw the one on on ebay yikes!
A00E4957-45EB-4635-8BEA-AE4BA1DFCABF.jpeg
614E73BF-682D-403C-BE62-E78E58808443.jpeg

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

I’m sure I’ve got some of those. I’ll dig my box out and see what I can find
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

NEG

Post by NEG »

Thanks Loo, no worries if you can’t locate one, I think I’ve worked out how to use a Type B 4 pin relay to turn the interior light on (no delay though) when the doors open.

StescoG66

Post by StescoG66 »

What 4 pin type did you use and di dyou have to modify? I think my Sipea one is goosed too.....
Si puo diventare Alfista
Si puo anche nascere come Alfista

Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

NEG

Post by NEG »

I’ve not done it yet, just worked out how to re jig the wiring in the fuse box to accommodate Type B 4 pin relay. There’s another quick and dirty way to simply jumper from the terminal that goes to the door switches over to the terminal that goes to the light. You will also have to re jig the wiring at the light itself. Both lose the delay function and the last will also disable the bulb in the ignition switch.

I’ll try and draw something up over the next few days…

NEG

Post by NEG »

More info than your really need to know about the light relay!

I figure there are 3 ways to fix the interior light, replace the hard to find 0948 relay, re jig the fuse box wiring to support a Type B 4 pin standard relay or simply jumper the connection in the fuse box and re jig the interior light connections.

The 0948 relay has a bimetallic strip and a heating wire wrapped around it, when a door is open it grounds one side of the heating wire heating the bimetallic strip and closing the contacts turning on the light. Shut the door the heating wire is disconnected, the bimetallic strip cools down over x amount of seconds and the light turns off.
IMG_4928.jpg
All good, except that every time the door is open even if the interior light is set in its off position the relay is active and switched on, eventually it burns out.

I’ve gone with the quick n easy option and made up a jumper wire to connect the door switches to the brown feed wire that goes to the interior light and the bulb in the ignition switch, turning it into a switch ground instead of a switched 12v feed.
IMG_4929.jpg
It means you have to swap the connections over at the light itself, move the permanent 12v feed (purple wire) to the top connection of the bulb and move the permanent ground connection to the remaining connection.
IMG_4930.jpg
Naturally you lose the delay function and the ignition light doing it this way.

If you go with re-jigging the wiring to support a standard relay then you get the ignition light back. I’ll write up how I think you can wire it like that later.

petteri

Post by petteri »

I actually once repaired this relay. I bought from local electric supplies store a couple of very cheap ceramic resistors with different resistance values which I then broke to get the resistor wire out. I had a couple of trials and errors but then I found correct wire which has right resistance and now the delay works as supposed. Unfortunately can't remember right resistor value :-/

Resistor was something like this.
https://www.triopak.fi/fi/tuote/21611W10R

Replacing the resistor wire was fairly simple job. I removed the old wire, then wound new wire on place and solder the wire ends on terminals.

NEG

Post by NEG »

Many thanks for that, I have a bunch of those wire wound resistors. Quick back of fag packet calc I think a 64 ohm bit of wire may work, draw approx 200mA and dissipate 2.5W with a nominal 12.6volts….

StescoG66

Post by StescoG66 »

NEG wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:12 pm
More info than your really need to know about the light relay!

I figure there are 3 ways to fix the interior light, replace the hard to find 0948 relay, re jig the fuse box wiring to support a Type B 4 pin standard relay or simply jumper the connection in the fuse box and re jig the interior light connections.

The 0948 relay has a bimetallic strip and a heating wire wrapped around it, when a door is open it grounds one side of the heating wire heating the bimetallic strip and closing the contacts turning on the light. Shut the door the heating wire is disconnected, the bimetallic strip cools down over x amount of seconds and the light turns off.

All good, except that every time the door is open even if the interior light is set in its off position the relay is active and switched on, eventually it burns out.

I’ve gone with the quick n easy option and made up a jumper wire to connect the door switches to the brown feed wire that goes to the interior light and the bulb in the ignition switch, turning it into a switch ground instead of a switched 12v feed.

It means you have to swap the connections over at the light itself, move the permanent 12v feed (purple wire) to the top connection of the bulb and move the permanent ground connection to the remaining connection.

IMG_4930.jpg

Naturally you lose the delay function and the ignition light doing it this way.

If you go with re-jigging the wiring to support a standard relay then you get the ignition light back. I’ll write up how I think you can wire it like that later.
What’s the correct wiring configuration on the light with the relay in place?

I have wired the light as pictured above as I figured the common connection is the 12v positive, the two negatives - one switched one permanent - should be at the opposite end. I have the relay in situ, so am I correct?
Si puo diventare Alfista
Si puo anche nascere come Alfista

Ma si muore sempre come Alfista