SPRINT RESURRECTION

Alfaoldgit

SPRINT RESURRECTION

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Hi,
I'm new on here, but as my user name suggests not new to Alfas.

In a moment of madness I bought a 1982 tin bumpered Sprint last year and have been gathering together parts ever since ( a challenge in itself). Its got rotten sills, rotten lower windscreen corners, a hole under the battery tray, a very large hole for the speedo cable, both doors are beyond worth repairing ditto front outer wings. All pretty standard fayre then, really. Bonus items include a holed rear panel in both upper corners, rear valance rotted, a well past its best offside A post and holed quarter panels where the external window trims have chafed. Originally in Ivory, someone at some time has done a rubbish respray in red and included some filler for good measure. There is no financial justification for fixing it, other than I'd rather throw some of my pension money at it than keep it all back for gold plated incontinence pads at some future date. On a brighter note, the engine starts, the interior is complete & so far I haven't encountered any seized bolts.The car has been off road for at least 14 years.

It's going swimming in a tank at Enviro Strip in about 6 weeks time, hopefully it wont be returned as a sieve - wish me luck.
Had: Sud Ti, GC, Sprint Veloce 1.5
Have: 159SW, 164QV, 156GTA SW, GTV6
Projects: Brera 2.4, Sprint Veloce 1.5

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: SPRINT RESURRECTION

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi AOG
Welcome to the forum. and good luck with your restoration. All I can say about envirostrip is good Luck. It is very thorough and takes no prisoners. You made the right decision in the “Alfa / incontinence pads” department. Although I suspect spares for inconti pads will be easier to find than Sprint spares
But if you have any questions or queries (especially technical) just ask the hive mind there’s usually some one here that has “been there done that” and able to help and offer advice

Louise
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Alfaoldgit

Re: Sprint resurrection

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Thanks & apologies for the screaming caps in the subject line - now corrected.

StescoG66

Post by StescoG66 »

I have a tailgate here you are more than welcome to have if it helps. Drop me a line if interested.
Si puo diventare Alfista
Si puo anche nascere come Alfista

Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

Alfaoldgit

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Thanks, that's very generous, but I already have a spare tailgate in case the one on the car turns out to be a basket case.

I finally managed to extract the engine upwards today. I recall doing this easily on my two Sud saloons back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, but doing the same on the Sprint was, ahem, challenging. I needed an extra half inch of room to get it out, but it wasn't having it so I ended up having to remove a stud from the rear cover at the top then pull the engine as far forward as it would go suspended on the crane so I could get the clutch off the flywheel.......then out it came.

Before readers ask, I didn't want to drop it out as that would have meant taking the front suspension apart & given the compromised state of the shell I'd rather keep the car weight on wheels (apart from jacking on the front cross member) than create point loads using axle stands. I'm also working alone at a remote workshop so don't want to end up wearing a car on top of me.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Nice to hear about a car being rescued for sentimental reasons rather than to make money at, usually means a better outcome as you tend to want to do it right rather than suit anyones margin.
Really gald you've found us, please keep us all up to date with the repairs, been a bit quiet of late with big jobs so I'll be keen to follow it and eventually to see the complete car 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Alfaoldgit

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Here are some pictures of my folly for all to laugh/cry over. The offside rear suspension trailing link bracket area is rot free, the picture suggests it isn't.
11. R-H screen lower corner.jpg
17a. L-H tailgate frame lower corner.jpg
18. R-H tailgate frame lower corner.jpg
20a. L-H upper rear side panel.jpg
21. R-H upper rear side panel.jpg
24. R-H mid sill.jpg
25. R-H rear sill.jpg
29. L-H sill.jpg
Bulkhead 2.jpg

LooLooSud33Spider

I’ve seen a heck of a lot worse
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Looks like the filler tub had some use on the sills!
Sure there'll be loads of unseen work but if tackled in small areas rather than looking at the whole car it'll be less daunting.
And we're here to cheer you on 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

LooLooSud33Spider

Any chance of a picture of the entire car ?
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Alfaoldgit

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Here you go, both pics taken on day of insp/purchase at the vendor’s property. It looks pretty good from a distance :lol:

You will have noticed that the B pillar covers are MY 1983 Sprint GC style. The seats are also MY 1983 as are the window winder handles front & back and the column switch stalks. I can’t decide whether the car has been messed with or whether being a late MY 1982 the factory ran out of parts and substituted MY 83. I can understand a seat swap but why would anyone swap out the other items?

I won’t be replacing the seats; I have the correct black & green dot material to get the current ones restored & I would imagine trying to get the “correct” seats is near impossible. As I already own four red Alfas, I fancy a change so the repaint will be in ARS232 Verde Matese which was a Sprint colour (but not for 1982).
1. Gen view a.jpg
2. Gen view b.jpg

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Do you have:-

1. welding equipment
2. Skills to use it
3.Time on your hands!

LooLooSud33Spider

AOG. quick tip DONT !!! cut your screen out whilst screens are available from Pilkingtons (at a price) the seals are extremely hard to find.

Lou
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Alfaoldgit

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Alfadave:-

1. Yes, my son does
2. Yes, but nowhere near good enough ditto my son. Patching up holes in exhausts/box sections is our limit.
3. Until the grim reaper pays a visit........

I'm stripping the car, doing the mechanicals & reassembling it myself. It'll go to the body shop as a rolling shell, they will take out the windscreens & take the suspension/steering off for a capped amount or £45 +VAT an hour whichever is less. All the suspension bolts are now finger tight so it shouldn't take long. I have a capped amount for reseal, prep & paint. The blank cheque is welding & fabrication which they will charge at £45 + VAT an hour. Yes, its going to cost a bomb but I'm losing at least 6% on savings so why not? I have seen their work & although they have only previously done a couple of 105 series Alfas, their standard is excellent. They usually do work on Jags & other British classics, but the director had a couple of Suds in his youth which whetted their appetite to take on "something different". On initial inspection they have suggested where new panels will be less expensive than fabrication & so far I have had a fair amount of success. I do have a problem getting a panel shipped from the EU - it's too big for DHL etc so a bit of head scratching going on to find an affordable transport & customs solution.

AOG (also an aviation abbreviation)

Alfaoldgit

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Hi Lou,

Thanks for the tip, but don't worry. Fingers & thumbs to get the screens out and waxed string to refit - been there done that! Do you know which Pilkington part number to use? There seems to be several different numbers listed on their site.

AOG

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I’d go for ARS231 verde faito metallic, it’s a lovely colour. Sprints also look nice in silver I think.

But it’s your choice, not mine, good luck with the work :D

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

All Sprint windscreens are the same, - the only difference may be tint, and sometimes a sun visor tint across the top, contact them for confirmation, however, helpfully there is no phone no. on the website........
I've quite a few Sprint panels available, both new and used, and some bits chopped off cars for making repair panels from, and loads of miscellaneous bits and pieces, body, mechanical, and trim, let me know if you need anything.
Cheers, John.
ps I'm trying to do a very similiar Sprint to yours, - that I've only had for 20 years !

StescoG66

Post by StescoG66 »

OP

In my experience, there are a few charlatans in the Sud spares fraternity.

Rest assured John above is one of the good guys. Got me out a pickle on a few occasions
Si puo diventare Alfista
Si puo anche nascere come Alfista

Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

StescoG66 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:10 pm
OP

In my experience, there are a few charlatans in the Sud spares fraternity.

Rest assured John above is one of the good guys. Got me out a pickle on a few occasions
seconded ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Thirded !!

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

Thanks guys, - you are very kind !

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Fourth'd :D

Alfaoldgit

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Noted for near future reference :D

Alfaoldgit

Re: SPRINT RESURRECTION, ROTTEN SPRING SUPPORTS

Post by Alfaoldgit »

I need some advice please. Both front spring pans are holed, these being the ones with the older style all metal needle bearing. I can get hold of new 60501443 & 4 pans as used on later Sprints/33/164, does any one know if these can be used provided I also use the later yellow plastic bearing? It goes without saying that the old bearings are shot, the needles are now on my garage floor.

Thanks in advance

AOG

Alfaoldgit

Re: SPRINT RESURRECTION, ROTTEN SPRING SUPPORTS 2

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Now I have cleaned off the spoon full of copper slip that someone plastered the inside of the spring pan with :x , I can now see that I need 60709711 or 60744219 or 102191 on the left and 60515639 or 60744218 or 102190 on the right. The later style spring pans won't do the job.............If anyone has a pair of these early style pans, I'll be pleased to take them off you (for a fee of course).

LooLooSud33Spider

Hi AOG. Can you post a pic of your pans please
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Alfaoldgit

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Here you go. Nearside shown with perforation and also the bearing plate that is a press fit in the top of it. The offside one isn't holed but is wasted away where the spring sits on it. I have identified a supplier for a now offside but not the nearside.

The copious amounts of copper slip are driving me nuts, it's getting everywhere & sticking to everything, grrr. I was hoping I would be seeing Koni inserts in the legs but unfortunately someone has been in before and installed conventional Monroe inserts which are now well past their best. The nearside insert came out easily but the offside is a different story. The circlip holding the bottom plate has broken up and the remnants don't want to shift so I can't yet put any pressure on the main body of the insert, only the stud that protrudes. Thus far the insert is stuck fast :cry: But with care & patience I shall prevail!

While I am here, thanks to John @Justsuds for finding some headlining bars for me and also a rear inner valance which I'll be ordering soon.
Spring pan.jpg

Alfaoldgit

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Awaiting dispatch to Envirostrip on Wednesday. Yes the blue car in the background is an Aston.
Prepped for Envirostrip.jpg

LooLooSud33Spider

I’ll have a look in the shed tomorrow. I may have one but not sure which side it is
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

I have one, I think it is a neasrside, in good used condition, I also have a pair on a car, but don't know what they are like untill they are off, and cleaned .......
Cheers, John.