Rear fog light conundrum

StescoG66

Rear fog light conundrum

Post by StescoG66 »

Could I tap in to the font of knowledge again here.
Working through the snagging list, and rear fog lights don't work
Got no voltage on the orange+white wire at the back of the switch - the one that's looped/piggy-backed.
The equivalent on the front fog light switch shows 12v when I switch the side lights on.
I traced back the wire to the bulkhead grommet, but lost it thereafter. Does anybody know where that wire goes to and what triggers it?
Many thanks in advance.
Si puo diventare Alfista
Si puo anche nascere come Alfista

Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

StescoG66

Re: Rear fog light conundrum

Post by StescoG66 »

Ok slight update here. Doing a bit of googling, and if I look at a fusebox diagram for an early 905 series 33 - which my car effectively is - then it's the rear foglight is my mystery relay next to the headlight fuses on the fusebox.
Any.body with an early 33 able to tell me the really number? I suspect it may be a SIPEA 0440 required, I currently have an 0444 in there (heaven knows what the difference is)
Si puo diventare Alfista

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

I've a D reg '86 series 2 33 here, if you tell me where to look I'll let you know what the relay is,
Cheers, John.

StescoG66

Post by StescoG66 »

Fuse box
Fuse box
Thanks John - again

The relay in question is the missing one in this pic. I have no battery voltage on pin 30, and only .33 volts on pin 86 which is same as at the looped wire at switch so something evidently amiss. Pin 86 being - presumably - the 12v trigger from the switch
Si puo diventare Alfista

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

You can work back from here to find ther fault.
Pin 30 is the main feed, where the supply voltage comes from, usual to be battery fed
Pin 87 will be the feed out to whatever it's set to supply,
Pins 85 and 86 will be the feed wire from the switch and an earth, doesn't really matter which way around as it will work either way.

You can test the wiring to the rear fog light, and the light unit itself, by feeding a power source (wire from the battery if you don't have a power probe or similar) to Pin 87 directly, this should illuminate the foglight.
You can also decide if to introduce a new wire to pin 30 from the battery, or another source.
You can test the Volts at pin 85/86 to see if you have any feed from the switch, and if not decide if to strip the switch and clean the contacts.

It's all solveable with some tracing and logic, just think of it as an elaborate switch. The power at Pin 30 needs to join to Pin 87, it has a broken link, like a set of points. The power coming from your switch (Pin 85/6) needs to go to earth (again Pin 85/6) to makes it's circuit which bridges the gap if you like between pin 30 & 87.

They are designed so that current flowing through a switch is very low, only enough to power the relay. If it was a direct feed to the light unit then the contacts within the switch would soon burn out, just like in the old days with the points in the distributtor.

Just don't ask me how modern fibre optic and CANBUS systems work!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

StescoG66

Post by StescoG66 »

Thank you Kev

That is a huge help, and will check that over. Pin 85 is earth ok, so no need to touch that. TBH never thought to check the switch in the cabin - I presume it too will have a 12v feed which will be activated by turning on the sidelights so could that be the problem At pin 86?
That leaves me pin 30 to sort which I suppose is easy enough to sort if perhaps fiddly.
Will try putting 12v in to pin 87 too, see what happens but before that will try to buzz the wire with multimeter from pin 87 to the fog light check that is ok. Will do same from switch to pin 86 just to make sure.

Anyway, it’s my last remaining electrical snag on this car. It was a bit of an ordeal just trying to find out what that relay was for (taken years :lol: ) and only by chance did it get mentioned that this was the rear fog relay. Unlike the majority of Sprints I have seen, my fuse box is mounted facing up and parallel to the bulkhead like the early 33 was so perhaps I may be being too idealistic here, but my logic would dictate that’s what it is. That relay position is blank on any other Sprints I have seen, but mine is a very late car so could be a ‘bitsa’ model............

Anyway, I am rambling on. Will do some checks based on above and let’s see where it takes me....

Many thanks again all, have a great Christmas :-)
Si puo diventare Alfista