Headlights

alfadave

Headlights

Post by alfadave »

Can the early type (72-80) Alfasud rectangular saloon headlights be adapted from LHD to RHD.

My drivers side one is steaming up.......new RHD ones hard to come by . Maybe decent SH?

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: Headlights

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi. Dave. As far as I’m aware the only way of swapping from LH to RHD would be to use a mask on the lens as if you were coming to UK from continental Europe the pattern is in the glass lens . Modern lamps use clear lenses and all manner of wizardry to bend the light by other means
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

The other option would be to remove and completely dismantle the lamp and remove the lens. Then clean and re fit the lens with some decent modern sealant/ adhesive. This obviously carry a risk of breaking the lens which would be problematic .
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

If your headlight is steaming up then it means that moisture is getting in, if the bulb holder has its' rubber cover on in good order then I'd suspect the sealant holding the glass lense onhas dried and shrunk, assuming the glass has no cracks or holes?
I'd be taking the headlight out and pulling the glass front off before it falls in the road and you run it over, been there and done that!
With the glass safely off then just clean all the old sealant off of the lamp and lense and refit with PU sealant or Tigerseal or similar. Minimal cost and a proper result
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Got the headlight on the bench,
When I turned it upside down, I could see a trickle of water running down the inside of the lense.

I cut the seal out local to the source of water and applied some PU. Hope that fixes it!