Clutch issues again

Harry_p

Clutch issues again

Post by Harry_p »

Back in the spring I changed my clutch because the old one started slipping, not all the time, and worse when hot. I had assumed it was contamination because it didn’t behave like a normal worn clutch failure where the revs just keep rising, it was acting more like a cvt transmission where the revs would rise and sit until the car caught up.

Anyway, removed the old clutch which didn’t actually look very worn at all, no signs of oil contamination.

Put the new clutch in and all fine.

Fast forward to the mot a few weeks ago, the mechanic mentioned I might want to adjust the clutch as it seemed very tight. Knowing it is a hydraulic clutch and there’s no adjustment I just assumed that’s how they are and carried on.

Then yesterday it started slipping again, exactly the same symptoms as before.

I had a fiddle around, and levering the clutch fork back by hand there seems to be a lot of residual pressure in the system, I know it needs to be sprung to keep the pin against the lever, but it feels very very tight.

After levering it back while opening the bleed nipple, closing it, letting it push forward, then repeating a couple of times the clutch now isn’t slipping and is biting further down.

I will monitor its behaviour but I’m wondering if there’s a fault with the slave and the internal spring is too strong? Or could there be another reason why the system seems to be holding pressure against the clutch?

I don’t think there was air in the system as I completely bled the brake and clutch system after taking the gearbox out.
Italian: ‘69 fiat 850 saloon, ‘80 alfasud super, 2012 Mito multiair 135
German: ‘72 VW dormobile camper, ‘87 Mk2 GTi 8v, ‘89 e30 m3, ‘96 e36 m3 evo saloon, ‘98 e36 318ti compact sport, ‘06 merc clk350
British: ‘94 metro gti 1.8, ‘91 metro 1.1c

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: Clutch issues again

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Harry
It does Sound more like a hydraulic problem . I’d start with the flex to make sure it hasn’t broken down internally . Then I’d look at the slave cyl as they can get a bit crusty and stick after that have a look at the master. The clutch should actually be nice and light.
Lou
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Interesting. We are all probably using the original flexis without thinking about it.

But I agree with Lou. Change the slave. They are one of the few items that still seem to be readily available cheaply.

Jam a length of wood against the back of the alternator to hold it in position, whilst you fiddle with the circlip!

Harry_p

Post by Harry_p »

I was actually wondering how the original hose is constructed?

It feels like a solid plastic pipe but I’m assuming there’s a normal hose inside? What do people do to replace it? A normal braided flexi made to the right length?

I think I will get a slave in stock anyway as has been said above they’re pretty cheap and easy to get old of ( at the moment )
German: ‘72 VW dormobile camper, ‘87 Mk2 GTi 8v, ‘89 e30 m3, ‘96 e36 m3 evo saloon, ‘98 e36 318ti compact sport, ‘06 merc clk350

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Harry. The hard plastic hose is just that. It doesn’t have a rubber liner and they give very little trouble to be honest but it’s always worth checking it out. I reckon a new slave cyl will
Sort it .
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Harry_p

Post by Harry_p »

Ok, thank you, I will try that first. I didn’t know if there was a rubber liner inside the hose which could collapse like old brake flex is have been know to.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Either master or slave has the potential to be sticking, slave easiest to locate new and change.
Master cylinder can just as easily stick though, can be rebuilt if new unavailable. Often rust in the end where the pedal pushes, which then speads into the chamber..
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more