Series 3 sprint exhaust mounting.

Pedrokat

Series 3 sprint exhaust mounting.

Post by Pedrokat »

Random question of the day folks ....
After 28 years of ownership and the middle bracket never being fitted to the very rear most exhaust hanger.... just the 2 loop mountings. I was idly surfing ebay at sprint and sud bits and found the middle mounting.... my exhaust has had a tendency to knock occasionally so I thought.... why not...and bought one.... it arrived.... I went to fit it....and the tab for it on my genuine alfa cloverleaf twin pipe is too wide to fit it without the rubber being excessively stretched and would most likely fail quite quickly.... does anyone else run with this middle D shaped mount fitted? Or are there different versions about.... my green cloverleaf really needs a chunkier one to fit the tab on the exhaust hanger.... and as I say... it is a genuine system bought from mangoletsi some years ago new.
I have fitted it and kind of bodged it with a cable tie but not really what I hoped for!
Cheers Peter
Sprint green cloverleaf 1.5.
Lancia integrale evo2
Ducati 748s

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: Series 3 sprint exhaust mounting.

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Peter
That mtg used to fail very quickly and was so rarely replaced.that a lot of owners didn’t even know it should be there but often wondered what the flat tongue on the back box mtg was for. As for it not fitting im pretty sure it doesn’t go into the “D” shaped rubber but it’s more of a Buffer to stop the back box bouncing up and off the ring mtgs.

Lou
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Pedrokat

Re: Series 3 sprint exhaust mounting.

Post by Pedrokat »

Thanks Lou, indeed it has never been there on my car up from 1991 until today.. as I say it looked like it would snap very quickly...
I wanted to fit it as I do from time to time get a bit of knocking of the system as it wobbles on the rubber hoops... hits the suspension arm mounting on drivers side... so I figured a bit of support to stop it wobbling would be a good idea... Will see what it's like with my cable tie arrangements... shame though...it just needs to be bigger..... surely alfa dealers reported that it wasn't right at the time... oh well.
My cable tie will hold the box tab against the rubber...
Sprint green cloverleaf 1.5.
Lancia integrale evo2
Ducati 748s