Cut out on brake pads

Splant

Cut out on brake pads

Post by Splant »

I understand the way the pads go in ,but just wondering if the knife shaped cut out has a purpose ? And why the pads have to go in a certain way? Bit random ,but it's gone quiet on here since I'm getting no serious problems to post . Oh speedo still ticking even though I greased inner cable thouroughly with cv boot grease . Could it be speedo itself?

junior

Re: Cut out on brake pads

Post by junior »

Splant wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:01 pm
Oh speedo still ticking even though I greased inner cable thouroughly with cv boot grease . Could it be speedo itself?
I did not think you were meant to use grease. I have used of late the silicon lubricant for cycle cables as its quite light a very effective on cycle cables. Just comes in a little bottle and you pour a bit in. Will find out the name if you wish. :D

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Being old fashioned, I just pour engine oil down the cable having disconnected it at the speedo.
But maybe adjusting the position of the cable might stop the clicking?

If you are brave, support the front of the car, and drive it. Get someone to move the cable about until it stops clicking.

dave.armstrong

Post by dave.armstrong »

The cut out should go towards the rear of the car
Attachments
An old set of original pads
An old set of original pads

bobkelso

Post by bobkelso »

Not sure, but I think the cut is to help gas forming on hot disk surface
under strong braking to exit a bit more and so retard brake fading?

Drilled disk I read they have the same function, help eventually forming
gas to quit surfaces avoiding they can do air cushion between pads and disk

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

The cut out is to even up the pressure on the pad face, you get an effect called servo effect where the rotation of the disc helps pull the trailing edge of the pad onto the disc, hence the cut out being on the trailing side of the pad. It effects drum brakes more, particularly on the leading shoe, which is why you get twin leading shoe drum brakes, more efficient !
Cheers, John.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Hands up who last worked on a twin leading shoe brake system?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

alfadave wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:39 pm
Robs' Imp has twin leading shoe front brakes, work very well really on such a light car. Think there's a material upgrade too which he has. Some Imp owners have converted the fronts to a disc set up using Fiesta parts but they can actually be too good and cause locking as there's very little weight over the front end, unless you run with a full fuel tank!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

junior

Post by junior »

alfadave wrote:
Laverda 750 GTL. Best of all I worked on one years ago as the brakes were poor. Took it to Ferodo competition shop and they said the original material was HGV stuff, so they matched the materials up with new and the first time I used the rear brake in anger it locked the rear wheel instantly.
I slid sideways up the side of a transit I was trying to avoid with the tyre screaming and hanging off the side of the bike, stopping in line with the drivers open window. Pulling the bike upright the last bit, I said `Hi' as casually as I could, (and trying for the I do this all the time) and he said `I was just waiting for you to come through the back doors, well done,'
Etched on my memory.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Difficult to be casual with a change of underpants required!

Some 50/60's Alfas had 3 shoe drum brakes. Were they triple leading shoe?

Mufasa

Post by Mufasa »

junior wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:45 pm
alfadave wrote:
Laverda 750 GTL. Best of all I worked on one years ago as the brakes were poor. Took it to Ferodo competition shop and they said the original material was HGV stuff, so they matched the materials up with new and the first time I used the rear brake in anger it locked the rear wheel instantly.
I slid sideways up the side of a transit I was trying to avoid with the tyre screaming and hanging off the side of the bike, stopping in line with the drivers open window. Pulling the bike upright the last bit, I said `Hi' as casually as I could, (and trying for the I do this all the time) and he said `I was just waiting for you to come through the back doors, well done,'
Etched on my memory.
Brilliant! :mrgreen:
05Alfa1662.0GrigioGeo-Daily
01Alfa1663.0Manual-Proteo Rosso
00Alfa1662.5Sporto-Verde Argo
99Alfa1662.5V6GrigioNettuno-Track Car
84Alfasud1.5GoldCloverleafFlorentineCopper

junior

Post by junior »

:lol: Thank you.