Hissing 5th gear

Splant

Hissing 5th gear

Post by Splant »

Not a whine but more of a hiss ,and I've only just discovered if I pull the gear lever to the right against the spring action it goes off ! Do they all do this ?

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: Hissing 5th gear

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Stephen
Theres some plastic bushes In the bottom of the sud Lever mech And they were notorious for giving a zizzy kind of hissy rattle and just resting one hand on the lever would make it stop . As well as making the change very sloppy .
See photo.
9AF7FBA4-9AA9-42B7-99A4-65B2CDD218B0.jpeg
position 1 is a little plastic top hat bush with a steel spacer and a flat plastic washer They wear like crazy
Position 2 is a little plastic cup the pushes on to the bottom of the lever and slides side to side in a guide block they also wear and fall off giving a very sloppy change .(these were modified a couple of times To eliminate the issue and you need to know what version you have before trying to get replacements)
Position 3 is a rubber bush with a nylon liner and a steel sleeve this hold the whole gear lever on to the remote And again can wear badly leading to sloppy change
Knackered bushes at Positions 1 and 2 Are the favourite for giving the zizzy rattle you mention and if you’ve never driven a sud with a sorted gear change you may think the sloppy wobble is normal. It isn’t
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Splant

Re: Hissing 5th gear

Post by Splant »

Cheers that's ok then I can put up with it,it's only in 5th , I was always told you shouldn't rest your hand on gear lever because it would wear the internals,so I was worried that's what was happening ,but I guess that's when the lever is directly fixed to the selector rods .