Tail mounting - later 33 based cars

Andrew Fitton

Tail mounting - later 33 based cars

Post by Andrew Fitton »

My sprint is late 83 and has what I think is a later pressed steel tail at the end of the gearbox which appears a bit floppy and a floppy bit of rubber through which a tail mounting (bar/pipe?) passes through and is bolted to the floor.

I only have a Haynes manual up to 84 which shows the tail mounting to be a more substantial Bush with couple of big washers either side.

Looking at relevant pictures on the ‘net my set up is standard for a later model sprint.

My gut feel is the pre 84 set up is firmer than the post 83 set up as it locates the tail better.

Do owners with a similar set up to mine do anything to firm things up.
Alfasud sprint 1.7
Mazda MX5 NA

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: Tail mounting - later 33 based cars

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Andrew.
The later arrangement was introduced Much earlier than that . The problem with the early set up. Alfa we’re getting lots of complaints about resonance and vibration in to the car so they redesigned the entire remote very early on. This redesign then carried over onto the 33 but they changed the lever to a Much simpler Affair . on my race Car I retain the std remote but I’ve engineered solid mtgs For the remote to G/box. The 33 Gear lever has a rubber bush which helps with Gear lever centering I leave that std but I made up a solid bush for the selector Rod at the gearbox end.
I’m also using solid engine mtgs
You may also want to reinforce the base of the 33 lever as they can snap I made up a plate For just that purpose
That just welds on.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Andrew Fitton

Post by Andrew Fitton »

I haven’t had them out on mine so I don’t know how squidgy the standard ones are. I’ll be driving mine on the road so solid bushes might be a bit much. I wonder if there is a half way house that fits in the trillion bushes out there.
Alfasud sprint 1.7
Mazda MX5 NA

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

The ones with the round bar through were never very solid, wasn't a tight fit to push the bar through, not bonded or anything.
I know johnboy (I think it was...) experimented with making polyurethane bushes, could be too stiff to make a complete bush that way but room for a bit of help surely..
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Andrew Fitton

Post by Andrew Fitton »

As my car is still stuck in the air I might take mine off to measure. I saw some ones off a Scania Truck sway bar that looked about the same size and shape were £7 and should be a smidgen firmer but of course no idea if they would fit.
Alfasud sprint 1.7
Mazda MX5 NA