Sprint Rear Quater Structure Pictures

daklone

Sprint Rear Quater Structure Pictures

Post by daklone »

Does anyone have any good pictures showing the structure underneath the rear quarter panel of a Sprint?

In particular I'd like to see how the inner wing lip where it meets the outer wing is supposed to look, and how the end of the sill just ahead of the rear wheels is constructed. But anything would be useful as a reference.
1988 Alfa Romeo Sprint 1.7 QV x 2

Crank

Re: Sprint Rear Quater Structure Pictures

Post by Crank »

Are these pictures any help? As you can see its all 'work in progress' at the moment. The outer panel should fold over the inner wing, although this double skin may be stronger it makes corrosion inevitable. So as you can see I have welded the inner wing short of the rim of the wheel arch. There needs to be a hole in the inner wheel arch for the drain pipe from the rear window 'bucket'.
DSC_0933.jpg
DSC_0928.jpg
DSC_0922.jpg
1976 1.5Ti
1977 1.2Ti
1989 1.7 Sprint Veloce
1989 75TS
2003 147 2.0TS Lusso
2004 MX5 1.8S
2002 1.6 Focus LX

daklone

Post by daklone »

Thanks Crank, that does help. I've got to re-construct everything down there, as things are not great at the moment...
Wheel Arch 1.jpg
Wheel Arch 2.jpg
Wheel Arch 3.jpg
...I'm hoping there's a special hell for the genius who decided to coat the wheel arches in underseal, without bothering to removing the rust or even the DIRT under there first!?

Andrew Fitton

Post by Andrew Fitton »

I don’t have any pics as fortunately my cars body was done really well by the former owner and I’ve not really needed to touch the body other than strip and repaint the bay during lockdown.. I’ve got plastic rear qtrs which you’d never know and light as a feather. Not my first choice but I’m a lot more relaxed about Using glass after seeing what can be achieved. I feel your pain - I started working in my own cars after some local repairers restorers did pretty poor jobs on cars I’ve owned before.

Anyway I don’t know if you’ve seen the parts catalogues - they are available free and for cash on the web but they do have exploded parts and panel diagrams either in the S3 supplement or there is an s1/s2 one too.

http://alfasprint.extra.hu/
Alfasud sprint 1.7
Mazda MX5 NA

daklone

Post by daklone »

Thanks Andrew!

I entirely forgot that I had the workshop manual (albeit in German!) that shows the welding points for the rear quarter etc.

Andrew Fitton

Post by Andrew Fitton »

I’ll be interested to see how you get on as we have similar cars albeit mine started life as 1500 and is stripped as road legal hill climber by a former owner. I may ask for close ups of bits and bobs in due course.
Alfasud sprint 1.7
Mazda MX5 NA

daklone

Post by daklone »

No problem bud, happy to help if I can.