Brands

rsfruitbat

Brands

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi all
What are people's views on different brands? Anything been particularly poor quality of just not lasted?
I am looking at some Quinto Hazell wheel bearings and Delphi ball joints.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Rsfruitbat

Veesix75

Re: Brands

Post by Veesix75 »

Many are the same group company nowadays under different brands.

I’ve used and have spare delphi items, I think my track rods are Delphi. I did look Delphi up and can’t remember fully the history but they seemed a decent brand that other brands were subsumed into.

Bearings skf where I could get them, sud rears are something ending in ‘line’, Dark green box and yellow writing. Can’t remember last time I had to change them, we check them a couple of times a year and they’ve been fine. I’m certain I put the set in in 2013 when I bought the racer and have adjusted a couple of times, but never had to change them.

Cam belt kit was gates.

Discs I’m using plain old ebc std discs.

Andrew Fitton

Post by Andrew Fitton »

I think a number of the internet groans on other non Alfa forums (eg piston heads)arise from stuff failing quickly when it isn’t fitted properly and then the parts quality gets blamed. I’m not much of a mechanic and far from perfect - I’m very heavy handed with ball joints as one of many examples. However I’ve seen people get breaker bars out to get bolts “nice and tight”.

I offer that view while acknowledging everyone on here is good and competent and way better than me. It’s just taken me two hours to put the belts back on (a sort of Hokey Cokey on of on off shake it all about) and I’ve cut my finger doing it......

Delphi stuff I’ve used is fine although I tend to buy parts like buying wine in a restaurant - I go about a third down from cheapest. Like wine if it’s got an Italian sounding name it’s clearly worth the extra fiver .
Alfasud sprint 1.7
Mazda MX5 NA

dave.armstrong

Post by dave.armstrong »

I think Firstline are part of the old Borg & Beck set up. They have an RDC next to the M40.

I quite like Febi Bilstein, TRW, Brembo, Gates, Dayco, Mintex, EBC, Mann, Bosch, Imasaf, Valeo, Holts, Prestone to name a few.