Front caliper leak /swap sides

Splant

Front caliper leak /swap sides

Post by Splant »

Looks like the hex adjuster bolts filling with fluid and that's before they're under pressure .typically I have a spare but it's for the other side! Can they be out in the wrong side interchangeable? Looks like the handbrake will be the same just the pipes coming out different places? Or even just swap the handbrake side /half of the caliper so main hose still goes in the right side ? Cheers

alfadave

Re: Front caliper leak /swap sides

Post by alfadave »

Caliper rebuild kits on ebay?

Splant

Post by Splant »

Everyone says the seals that seal the adjuster unavailable ! Seems calipers are scrap because of these seals ,these are from 2 different calipers both leaking from handbrake side adjusters , I guess they're not a round profile so normal rubber o rings might not work?
Attachments
IMG_20200504_135521.jpg

Splant

Post by Splant »

Bought some nitrile ones off eBay hope they're brake fluid proof,

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

There a very good company called Big Redd. Based in Worcester they do full kits and offer a rebuild service aswell. I know your in a tight budget (as we all are). but Brakes aren’t really the kind of thing you want to scrimp on or take risks with inferior seals .If you don’t know if the seal is brake fluid compatible then I’d proceed with extreme caution .
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Splant

Post by Splant »

I emailed them they said they hadn't got any and don't do them seals anymore when they recondition them ,they said they have to reuse them when they get calipers in to refurb? Yes I'll plumb it all in and check over a few days for leaks .

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Stick a nitrile glove in some brake fluid, and see what happens?

Splant

Post by Splant »

Done more googling , seems it's epdm rubber o rings needed for brake fluid so I'll try that.

chriswilliams

Post by chriswilliams »

Working on the same problem.
looks like the outer just needs the correct O ring.

However I have not dared take the inner with its hand brake mechanism to pieces!

Do you have any pictures? Was it easy to dismantle and more important was it easy to re-assemble?

Did you find suitable O rings / seals?

If this can be done we ought to write it up so that others are not so intimidated in future.

Regards, Chris.

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Interestingly, I have noticed that the Alfasud caliper rebuild kits from Bigg Red don't contain these O-rings, so when I rebuilt my calipers they were not replaced. Fortunately I don't seem to have had problems with leaking past the adjusters, either on the inner or outer caliper half, but I would have liked to have replaced them anyway.

However, although the Alfetta rear calipers are not interchangeable with the Alfasud fronts (because the handbrake mechanisms are different), the internals should be identical, and for some reason the Bigg Red rebuild kits for these calipers DO include the O-rings.

I can't think of any reason why Alfa/ATE would use different adjusters in brake calipers from this era, so it may be worth buying an Alfetta rebuild kit as well as an Alfasud one (just in case the piston bores are different sizes).

Lauren

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Sud shop have "full" caliper repair kits.

But confusingly mentions inboard rear calipers??

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

.......or maybe www.casafreno.com may be able to help?

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

alfadave wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:29 pm
Sud shop have "full" caliper repair kits.

But confusingly mentions inboard rear calipers??
I checked their site and the picture does not show the O-rings, it is the same set as Bigg Red supply for the Alfasud - two piston seals, two dust covers and two retaining clips, plus the bleed nipple cover.

It just seemed odd that the Alfasud kits don't include the O-rings but the Alfetta GTV kits do...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/euMAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

Splant

Post by Splant »

I got no where with finding the correct size seals , I ended up using atf fluid instead of brake fluid just in that side calliper , seemed to do the trick.

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Stephen.
Personally I don’t like the sound of that !!!! Putting anything other than brake fluid in the brake system is not usually a good idea .
I’d have a rethink if I were you .
Lou
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

chriswilliams

Post by chriswilliams »

I can answer some of the questions above:

I bought the Alfetta kit.

The pistons are different from the sud, so those seals are no good.

The o-rings for the outer adjusters ARE the same size and I fitted them and they are working fine.

I did not dismantle the inner side, but I expect that the o-rings there would match.

An odd way to but o-rings but I can guarantee they are compatible with brake fluid!

Regards,

Chris.

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

chriswilliams wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:13 pm
I can answer some of the questions above:

I bought the Alfetta kit.

The pistons are different from the sud, so those seals are no good.

The o-rings for the outer adjusters ARE the same size and I fitted them and they are working fine.

I did not dismantle the inner side, but I expect that the o-rings there would match.

An odd way to but o-rings but I can guarantee they are compatible with brake fluid!

Regards,

Chris.
Thanks Chris - as you say, an odd way to build a complete service kit for Alfasud calipers, but good to know there is a tried and tested solution for replacing the adjuster seals!

Lauren