Opinions sought - control arms condition

Andrew Fitton

Opinions sought - control arms condition

Post by Andrew Fitton »

So I’ve stripped my front control arms and...if I’m honest hmmm. When my car is back in the road it may do a bit of spirited driving on pennine roads in SW Northumberland (hadrians wall to Alston), it will also likely do 4 or 5 runs pa to my Mums 35 miles away on rural main roads with one of the kids in the passenger seat and possibly a bit of light road rallying and local speed events.

I don’t know suds very well but the control arms seem flimsy and I know they have been a cause of concern and why. I’ve stripped these right back, dipped the ended in hydrate 80 just in case there is something left in a seam and sprayed the rest with zinc rich primer. But are they knackered? I’ve binned wishbones in other cars that have inspired more confidence but I also know new front sud control arms don’t really exist. I’d welcome the views of people who know these cars.

Many thanks
Alfasud sprint 1.7
Mazda MX5 NA

alfadave

Re: Opinions sought - control arms condition

Post by alfadave »

I must admit, the rear end of those front arms, where they pick up on to the trailing arms always looks flimsy.

The expensive Greek Guy seems to have none left.

The gaps between the pick ups seem to invite rust.

Could you get them welded up and strengthened?

Andrew Fitton

Post by Andrew Fitton »

I can weld them and I know that is done although I’m a bit up and down about even that. I saw some on a German website which I think are still available (at a price). They are advertised as being 575mm. From the outer edge of mine ie from fork bolt hole to cross member bush hole is 575mm but I don’t know if that is how they are measured. Mine is an early 33 based sprint I think so drums and outboard discs but first registered 1983.
Last edited by Andrew Fitton on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfasud sprint 1.7
Mazda MX5 NA

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Pretty sure they are all the same.

If you want extra strength ask the racing people........watch this space!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

That is a weak point on the front suspension, they usually corrode badly between the two layers where they form the fork. That causes them to swell and separate.
I've seen a lot worse than that though on cars still in use.
Always an option to weld a reinforcing section over each outer side as has been said, but they look good enough to use to me from what I can see, especially as you're now going to treat and preserve them.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Andrew, they look pretty good to me . Mine were worse than that on my car.
What I did was reinforce mine with some plate steel. Plug and welded all around then painted.
Attachments
18th April 2010 043.jpg
25th April 2010 001.jpg
10 th Mayl 2010 008.jpg
10 th Mayl 2010 010.jpg
June 27th 2010 009.jpg

Andrew Fitton

Post by Andrew Fitton »

Well that looks impressive. What gauge did you use for the new re-enforcement. Did you drill the old spot welds?

Many thanks
Alfasud sprint 1.7
Mazda MX5 NA

Andrew Fitton

Post by Andrew Fitton »

KevJTD wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:26 pm
That is a weak point on the front suspension, they usually corrode badly between the two layers where they form the fork. That causes them to swell and separate.
I've seen a lot worse than that though on cars still in use.
Always an option to weld a reinforcing section over each outer side as has been said, but they look good enough to use to me from what I can see, especially as you're now going to treat and preserve them.
[/

You can’t see it on the photo but there is a slight bulge at the base of two of the re-enforcing strips. I took a pin to them to try and clean out any crap in the gap but I felt a bit Canute doing it.
Alfasud sprint 1.7
Mazda MX5 NA

junior

Post by junior »

Andrew Fitton wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:00 am
Well that looks impressive. What gauge did you use for the new re-enforcement. Did you drill the old spot welds?

Many thanks
I had similar done to mine and they look fine still as checked them recently, but also I may have some spares if your still looking for replacements. Good luck on the task.

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

Sud arms - in-board brakes - arm slightly longer than 33 - out-board brakes- so if you are replacing them make sure you have the right ones, - yours do look ok, I've seen plenty worse.

If anyone has spare Sud front arms, good or bad, I will buy them, pm me, or ring/ text 07932 750976, - apologies for the slight hijack !
Cheers, John.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

John,
people might not know that welding is your main occupation.
Do you repair/ strengthen the front arms?

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Andrew, have sent you a PM

Keith, would it be stronger to not grind the welds? Not as beautiful, but stronger!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Andrew Fitton wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:00 am

Many thanks

I just used some 1.5 mm flat steel to reinforce them. The spot welds actually failed with a light chisel and hammer and had hardly penetrated the arm.

Probably would have been stronger if I had not ground down the welds, but the car isn't pushed hard, and they still look good after 7 years, and 10,000 miles.

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

Thank you Dave, - yes, my main business is steel fabrication, - so all front arms get shot blasted, the stiffners removed and replaced, then hot dip galvanised, and powder coated - any colour you want, they don't have to be black ! Hopefully they will last a long time !

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

don't think I've any left John but if I come across any I'll bring them to cadwell next time, assuming we get the chance this year!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

John,
maybe you should advertise your stuff?

I'm sure a priced up website is an expensive item......but maybe a list on here?

I remember you had the plastic inserts remade for the S3 Sud ti headlights, where they push on to the brass pins.

But you never told anyone!

dave.armstrong

Post by dave.armstrong »

I strengthened mine by welding them when I had them off the car.

I couldn't believe such a weak looking design could take the force of a Sud cornering hard.

Andrew, as you are a Bilt Hamber fan it is worth spraying the insides of them with Dynax S-50 if you've got some.

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

Thanks Kev and Dave, - I am very crap in the advertising department, I tend to sell whatever people ask for that I've got, the problem is time, I'm busy with fabrication work , and sidecar racing, I can cope with current the amount of Justsuds enquiries and orders, but would struggle to cope with a large increase, - I would need to employ someone, - finding the right person is very difficult.
I appreciate all the business I do with forum members, - thank you all very much, I have spoken to Shrew in the past, - in very vague terms, about doing something on here so perhaps I need to get my finger out !
Cheers, John.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hi John
Maybe put a list up on here what you do and sell with price list sticky so it doesn't get lost !