Tims' Sud

Kegsti66

Re: Tims' Sud

Post by Kegsti66 »

Yes Kev, never joke about that till it is fitted to the car and driving off up the road..... and you will need that latch mechanism and hinges ;)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Kegsti66 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:44 pm
Yes Kev, never joke about that till it is fitted to the car and driving off up the road..... and you will need that latch mechanism and hinges ;)
Knew it was too easy :lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

No takers on doing the cage to match the stripes then???

Rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

rsfruitbat wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:22 pm
No takers on doing the cage to match the stripes then???

Rsfruitbat
I did sugest a different colour but body colour was the favoured choice.

Took a good while to get all the paint off as it'd been brush painted in the past over the the manufacturers paint. Also had some old tabs to get rid of that had been previously welded and no longer needed, no big drama as they came off with minimal fuss via the grinder, a little welding to tidy it all up then smoothed out.

Took a bit of juggling to get everything in place, 6 pieces needed to be done in satin black, cage plus its 5 beams and assorted brackets needed body colour, all parts needing etch priming first.

Once all primed the black parts went outside in the sun.
IMG_20200623_175839.jpg
With those out of the way the white could be applied to the rest, utilised my home made wing mounting trestles to hang the larger A post bars from, rest from the bar I have attached to the roof for such things.
Main cage perched happily on some axle stands.
IMG_20200623_175945.jpg
IMG_20200623_175822.jpg
IMG_20200623_175812.jpg
Unless I've overlooked something that's all parts painted for the sud.
Tomorrow I'll flat and polish the panels, wings etc.
Should start looking like a complete car again very soon.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Thanks Kev.

Looks like a cloths horse in the top pic.

Ade - I prefer the cage same as the inside, blends in and less distracting when racing I find. If it was looks only I’d agree with you. I fancied a red stripe .

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Your car your choice. To be honest I had got it in my head for some reason it was going to be satin black.
It's never bothered me on the cage colour because I can't see it when my eyes are closed!
Credit to both of you for getting it done and for doing it.

As I said earlier just wish I had the space and the money. Quite fancy rallying a Sud again

As this one is nearing the end Kev what's next on the todo list????

Got a Morris Marina if you fancy taking on some british rust?

Rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Next is my Y10, followed by my Flavia coupe.
What happens in the next few weeks, job wise with the virus etc will determine if those are my last. After all the years of doing cars in the unit I haven't actually done any for myself, if I get back to work full time I'll be stepping away from using spare time to do these jobs. Time for some relaxing..
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

Well, will miss following your workmanship in that case.

Esp if you did a nice lancia. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Today the task was to flat and polish up the front wings and rera hatch, the last panels needing the laborious not to say torturous process in this heat, then to fit the wings and bonnet. In this heat I'd be happy to call that day done.

Polishing process went well, no dramas. Nothing fell on the floor! :lol:
IMG_20200625_141851.jpg
With everything ready an issue reared up, can you spot it!
IMG_20200625_140614.jpg
The front shocks had been built up as a means to move the car around but the washer that should sit on the shock tube underneath the top rubber mount wasn't fitted so although the shock couldn't pull through and collapse it did allow the tube to come up into the engine bay, that would certainly make a mess of the bonnet! :o

A root around in my parts stash/junk pile/rare parts bin :roll: came across a pair of suitably sized washers, quite a big diameter needed to slip over the shock tube but sit on the shoulder. No big drama, ni e and easy access with the wings off :lol:

Rest of the day went OK, wings and bonnet lined up nicely still and makes another step closer to being a car again.

IMG_20200625_155008.jpg
IMG_20200625_155017.jpg
IMG_20200625_154958.jpg
Just leaves front doors to fit and build back up, cage to fit the rear half in for safely transportation and we're about done.
Might be Saturday or Monday next week, nearly there...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

I can probably find a pair of the correct washers if you need them Kev
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Looking good Kev.

Don’t worry about bolting the rear cage in, just sit it on on some cloths on the feet. I’m bringing some bubble wrap to wrap the feet and rest of the tubes in, and the rear I’ll tie wrap the rear portion tight for travelling (with more bubble under the tie wrap !)

Thanks for all the hard work.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Kev with your craftsmanship and skill i can't see as you will ever be out of work.
To be honest if you aren't doing stuff like this for a living you are wasted.

Biggest problem as I see it will be finding the time to do all the other things you want to.?

Good luck with the trip home

Rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Without wishing to block Tims' thread, it's all in the air at the moment, depends if I get back to work after the virus is done with. 10+ years of doing cars in my spare time, whilst holding down a full time job, it's taken its' toll. I just need to be able to have a day off and do something else, away from welding and painting.

Just put yourself in my shoes, think what you've done the last 10 years, days out , other hobbies, family time, holidays....all that has had to be put aside...

And to make a living from it is not as easy as it sounds.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Alfastrut

Post by Alfastrut »

I see the work you do and its impressive! As I've said in the past you achieve so much In so little time and to a high standard. If it's time for a rest it's time for a rest. Only you know what's best for yourself.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Task for today was to fit the rear hatch and doors, then build the doors back up with glass etc.

Happy to say the doors went on without problem, as awkward as it is to hold a door on as well as put the bolts in it can be done with a bit of planning. A tyre placed on the floor, smooth sheet of wood with a large towel on that made a perfect platform at the correct height. A stud in top and bottom fittings helped align it, plenty of masking tape on any vulnerable edges just in case and they went on seamlessly.

The passenger side we'd already decided needed a spacer top and bottom but could I find any.. Sure I have some somewhere :roll:

Making some out of mild steel is OK as long as you paint them or they'll soon rust, which isn't ideal! A handy sheet of aluminium made the perfect choice, just the right thickness, easy to cut and won't rust. With both the hinge face and door aperture painted oxidisation of the dissimilar metals won't be a concern either.
IMG_20200627_115702.jpg
With the doors on then just a case of building it all back up, glass got a good clean before going back in which always helps, window runner I'd painted satin black already along with the weather strip.
I have also painted the A pillar gutter trim in the satin black but left my pop rivett gun at home so that will have to wait until next time.

Other than that, it's done. 8-)

Colour does look very nice in the sunshine, as a visiting Rob agreed.
Meant to get a snap parked next to the Imp but got distracted then forgot!
Waxoyl in the door bottoms just to finish off 8-)

IMG_20200627_182041.jpg
IMG_20200627_182010.jpg
IMG_20200627_181952.jpg
IMG_20200627_182001.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

That looks awesome Kev, thanks again for everything you’ve done with it. White was the right choice.

:D

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Looks brilliant.

I used to do the b pillars and the top part of the doors satin black. Pinched the idea of XR2's and 3's.
Another one saved.

Rsfruitbat

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cracking job done there Kev.
She has come out really nice.
Over to you now Tim. :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Just to close this one down. I had to sell the Sud, partly space and part cos the Sprint engine was mostly scrap after the crank broke so funds needed.

However after, and thanks to, Kevs top work, it’s going to a good home and will be built back into a racer.

So while I was sad to sell it, but also pleased it’s going to get used and raced.

Mufasa

Post by Mufasa »

So sorry for your loss Tim
05Alfa1662.0GrigioGeo-Daily
03Alfa1561.8Sportwagon-BluCosmo
01Alfa1663.0Manual-Proteo Rosso
99Alfa1662.5V6GrigioNettuno-Track Car
84Alfasud1.5GoldCloverleafFlorentineCopper