Restoration on 88 Sprint

Sprint67

Restoration on 88 Sprint

Post by Sprint67 »

Hi all,

Has anyone done a complete restoration on an 88 Sprint 1.7 .

Any pictures and helpful tips much appreciated.

Thanks,

Cathal.

junior

Re: Restoration on 88 Sprint

Post by junior »

Photograph every bit , its better to have a dozen photo's you do not need than not have the one you need.

Label all parts very well, so it will last for years.
Before you start have an area sorted where parts can go and stay for a long time with out being disturbed.

Plan as far ahead as you can for parts so you can look out for them in the usual spots and perhaps get a money saving deal. ie carbs.

Do spend time finding out about the professionals your going to trust and be clear with them what you want.

Never say `No rush' it will never get done.

John at justsuds I have found to be knowledgeable, trustworthy and his advice saved me money, time and agro. :D

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

I’m doing my Sud Ti at the moment and when come to restoring cars it’s a bit like chucking large qtys of cash in to a bucket and then setting fire to it on a weekly basis . And what ever you do NEVER add up all the receipts. And if your better half ever asks what a part cost just deduct half it’s actual price .
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Alfastrut

Post by Alfastrut »

Just do little bits often and as loo says don't add up the receipts

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

Yep, sounds like my experience.

Although....I’ve been doing a gradual rolling restoration of my 88 1.7 Sprint, which means the pain is prolonged over many, many years....

But it’s all worth it in the end.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Cathal, as others have said, If you are entrusting the work to somebody try and do your homework on their quality.
If you totally strip the car, get loads of photos, where things get routed as you will forget, we all think " I'll remember how that went" but we don't.
Boxes for each job helps or you can mix stuff up. Freezer bags are great with zippy tops so you can resist the temptation to put too many things together.
Label left hand / right hand . Masking tape is good for marking where wires come from and what they attach to. I re-plugged things like relays etc back onto the wire loom so they went to the correct item.
Finally, store things carefully and as said, make notes if clips break when stripping out so you know what things need replacing for the re-fit.
Help is here from fellow members, as well as encouragement.
Have a look at Colin's thread as he is doing a Sprint and it will give an insight into what may be uncovered.
Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1081

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

All great advice.

I would strongly advise to make a list of what goes where, and more importantly (as I really should do) where you have stored it!
I'm spending so much time now trying to find parts, if I'd have filled in a notebook saying what went where so I could amend it as things got moved it'd have saved me hours, days even in all honesty!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

junior

Post by junior »

KevJTD wrote:All great advice.

I would strongly advise to make a list of what goes where, and more importantly (as I really should do) where you have stored it!
I'm spending so much time now trying to find parts, if I'd have filled in a notebook saying what went where so I could amend it as things got moved it'd have saved me hours, days even in all honesty!
Ah yes that reminds me I had a clip board in the car and noted stuff, but not enough.

A friend also gave me a tip that if you use some one like an auto electrician you have a list you share with them, and go through occasionally so your on the same song sheet.

Wish I had done that ! :evil:

Sprint67

Post by Sprint67 »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the good sound advise.

Have taken off lots of bits, some I have put together and sort of know where there going and other bits I have left in a heap and telling myself, yeah I know where there going :?: . Like what ye say, I'm a little bit forgetful already but hopefully when the time of putting all back together I'll know where everything will fit.

Thanks very much Keith for the thread, great info and pictures there. I'll need all the help and encouragement I can get. This will be a long drawn out project and hopefully I'll actually get to drive it again in the not too distant future.

Thanks again all.

Cathal. :roll:

Crank

Post by Crank »

I have been working on my 'get it finished one day' 88 Sprint 1.7 off and on since before digital cameras were invented, well almost. And like you I did not take many photos. But I have just been stripping down the area I work on, well sort of. So the dash, suspension and engine are still attached as is the carpet which consequently seems to have acquired a burn big enough to put a few fingers through. I new it would take years and if I had stripped it down completely I would loose parts and forget how, or in what order some parts should be put back on.
I suggest if you have any mystery parts you post photos. I am sure some of us will be able to recall where and how they fit.
1976 1.5Ti
1977 1.2Ti
1989 1.7 Sprint Veloce
1989 75TS
2003 147 2.0TS Lusso
2004 MX5 1.8S
2002 1.6 Focus LX

StescoG66

Post by StescoG66 »

I am in the same boat as you doing an 88 1.7QV. Feel free to drop me a line will help if I can :-)
Si puo diventare Alfista
Si puo anche nascere come Alfista

Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

junior

Post by junior »

StescoG66 wrote:I am in the same boat as you doing an 88 1.7QV. Feel free to drop me a line will help if I can :-)
Thats a good idea StescoG66. The Matra club link people together when doing a restoration, which i always thought was a brilliant idea.

Kev would end up mates to a lot of people though !

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

Totally agree. That’s at least 3 of us doing a 1.7 Sprint QV resto. Hopefully we can get there between us....eventually!

Crank

Post by Crank »

I have read that the EU have plans to increase the methanol content of fuel to 10% which would cause problems for classics which have carbs. Looks like we may be leaving the EU soon but I am beginning to wonder if, when I get my car finished, I will be able to get fuel that it will run on ?
1976 1.5Ti
1977 1.2Ti
1989 1.7 Sprint Veloce
1989 75TS
2003 147 2.0TS Lusso
2004 MX5 1.8S
2002 1.6 Focus LX

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

I agree the concern but I can’t see the politicians forcing all the classic E-type, Ferrari, Bristol, Bugatti, Lotus, TR4a, 5, 6 etc., etc., brigade to change from carbs. There’d be uproar.

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

.....after all, most of the politicians own those sort of cars :-)

petteri

Post by petteri »

Sprint67 wrote:Hi all,

Has anyone done a complete restoration on an 88 Sprint 1.7 .

Any pictures and helpful tips much appreciated.

Thanks,

Cathal.
I'm restoring 88' 1.5 QV, here are some pics: https://fi.pinterest.com/petterinyh/my- ... t-project/

I would recommend to do complete strip down right in the beginning. Pay attention especially on previous body repairs since they can be anything.
I have only experience of this one Sprint, but anyway even from this experience I would pay attention to these things:

- Gearbox synchros
- Fuel lines (mine were covered with some porous plastic/rubber which had sucked water..)
- Relays

Bodywork areas which are likely rusty (deserves own chapter :-P )

- Sills (might feel solid at first glance but they rust inside out)
- Windscreen area
- Corners of bootlid opening
- Rear wheel arches (also area in front of rear wheel, made from two small cover plates)
- "Bay" below rear side windows and rear side window mechanisms also tend to stuck
- Rear valance

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

Looks fantastic. Nice one!

petteri

Post by petteri »

I just updated a bunch of new photos about the previous progress.

Sprint67

Post by Sprint67 »

Hi StescoG66,

Thanks for the invite.

Will post some pictures of my progress so far, soon.

Some great pictures of other restorations posted too.
Thanks to all that took the time to reply to my post.

Cathal. 8-)

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

Hi Cathal,

One recommendation I’d definitely make is if you drop the engine and box to change the clutch, then spend some time detailing the engine, get the synchros done on the box (2nd and 3rd are normally always worn) and respray the engine bay. It really does make a huge difference. I used Dinitro - evil stuff but is fantastic stuff for rust prevention.

Above all, take your time.
Attachments
3811DB51-B030-4CEE-8F16-BE2EFA76C52C.jpeg
983333A8-4426-4C26-B668-E75CC6A63F45.jpeg

Sprint67

Post by Sprint67 »

Hi Sprint88qv,

I have engine and gearbox on the floor.

Actually I got an engine from John at justsuds which was out of an Alfa 33, which I'm going to put into my Sprint.

The gearbox seemed to be ok when last driven. But the fact it is out maybe it would be advised to have a look at it before putting it back in.

So this Dinitro - evil do you put this on before respraying in around engine bay and where can this be sourced.

Thanks for pics and advise, what you have done looks great.

Cathal.

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

I used Dinitrol Converust RC900. It’s an aerosol epoxy rust converter and primer. Pretty nasty stuff but works a dream. 4 years on a there’s not even a hint of any reaction or lifting.

If you research there will be multiple ways and thoughts on how to apply paint. I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination but this is the process I followed and it still looks good to me.

2’about 2 solid days prep - I started with a steam cleaner and got all the dirt and grime out, especially in all the nooks and crannies around the engine bay. I then used degreaser. I then rubbed down the whole engine bay. I wasn’t after concours, I just wanted to smarten it up so when a get a professional to give the whole body a respray, they wouldn’t need to try and spray around the engine. I think I used 120 and 240 paper. I was lucky, there was no rust apart from spots of surface rust where there had been chipped paint, so cosmetic filler only. I then masked up everything and used panel wipe to clean it thoroughly.

Then I didn’t about 2 days painting.
1 x coat dinitrol (ensure you use a decent mask)
1 x coat grey primer (fine)
2nd coat primer (heavier)
2 x coats cellulose base colour (fine/mist)
2 x coats base colour (medium)
With fine rubbing down between coats.
2 x coats final base colour (heavier)
1 x coat lacquer (fine)
1 x coat lacquer (medium)
1 x coat lacquer (heavier)

It may not be the perfect way of doing it but it worked well for me and I was pleased with the results. All in all about 4 solid days but I think it makes a big difference.

.....the down side is you can’t put a dirty engine, radiator, alternator, header tanks, fuse box, steering column or heater box back in. So a lot of detailing and a new radiator tends to follow.
:-(

Sprint67

Post by Sprint67 »

Well an enormous amount of work done for sure, the plus side you certainly got the results you desired.
Engine bay looks fantastic, hat off to you.
Now I know I have a hell of lot of work to get through before I even think about getting behind the wheel again.
Just as well I haven't put a time scale on getting motoring again, no doubt I have a long long way to go.

Keep me updated on your progress and any more advise much appreciated.... 8-)

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

Cheers Cathal.

I decided to take the “rolling restoration” route, mainly because I didn’t trust myself to lose enthusiasm over years. I wanted to drive it for most of each year and then slowly work my way through it during the winter/early spring e.g., one winter refurb the rear suspension, the next winter the front suspension, then the clutch, gearbox, engine, then some panel work, under seal/rust proofing, then electrics etc. That way I personally never feel it’s too big a mountain to climb and I enjoy the car each spring through to autumn.

It’s been 11 years so far but each winter I still get the itch to draw up the next set of jobs to be done this time round. This approach works for me.

I think it’s slowly getting there. Which ever way you decide to go, make sure you enjoy it :D

Ed
Attachments
3E60F118-9AAB-4941-B789-33057D327EC0.jpeg

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

She sure looks nice.
Sitting pretty on those wheels. 8-)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Looks a stunner, the Sprint really suits that bodykit.
Great work on the under bonnet too, it's a painstaking task but worth the effort for results like that. 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

Cheers. Yeah, I was never a huge fan of the zender kit when it first came out in the late 80’s but it’s really grown on my over years. So when I found this really late example in good condition, with the period (but slightly wider and larger dia wheels 7x15) and with the kit, I definitely fell for it.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

I think the Zender kit really suits the 2nd generation Sprint.
As Kev says, freshening up the engine bay also is worth while if the engine and box are out.
Cathal has a Zender kit as well. 8-)

Sprint67

Post by Sprint67 »

Wow Ed,

Sprint looks fantastic.

As Keith said, I have the Zender kit on my Sprint too. I really like these kit's, I think they enhance an already great looking car.

Those alloys look very smart underneath the car too, keep up the great work, I'm very jealous and impressed at the same time... :roll: