Rear brake adjustment tips.

Oggie

Rear brake adjustment tips.

Post by Oggie »

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I have a few questions regarding the rear brake conversion I did 4 or so years back, When I operate either the foot brake or the handbrake I don't seem to get enough braking force at either wheel but its is worse on the offside , I have replaced and adjusted the bias valve just to make sure a few months back but its made no difference even after a decent bleed through and replacement fluid. Also handbrake cables are new but make little difference and no adjustment of the hand brake mechanism makes any difference other than causing the caliper to lightly bind

Anyway do any of you good folk have any tips?.

Kind Regards

Iain.

dickyb

Re: Rear brake adjustment tips.

Post by dickyb »

Are you using calipers from a European ABS equipped car?

Did you replace the bias valve with an ABS version or the standard version? (they are different and can affect the operation of the brakes).

It sounds as though your calipers need stripping and rebuilding, my car was sitting idle for a couple of years with the handbrake off and following this I found that the handbrake didn't really do anything and the rear brakes weren't working too well, so pretty much what you're experiencing. At that time it was about the same price to just replace both calipers rather than rebuild them so that's what I did, problem solved. Finding replacement calipers these days is probably not easy and probably very expensive but rebuild kits are available from companies like Bigg Red.

Oggie

Post by Oggie »

Hi Rich,

Hope you are well and did you ever get your Ghibli?, I must admit the car hasn't moved since October last year as been busy replacing odd bits here and there on it and yes you are probably right as the the rear is from a euro spec abs car, I may try to reverse blow through the brake lines 1st then attempt replacing the calipers or get them re-done.

Oggie

Post by Oggie »

After reading up again on setting the hand brake cables and re-adjusting they all work and better than before!, I think when I put new cables in I hadn't set the handbrake up 2 clicks and pumped the brake pedal a few times then adjusted the cable tension and hey presto it's working just fine.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Result - see you on Saturday.