33 suspension set ups

Rew147

33 suspension set ups

Post by Rew147 »

So the P4 isn't even in the workshop yet but it's not stopping me from planning out what and what not to-do with it, one thing I am interested in doing is uprating the standard suspension set up unfortunately there doesent seem like there's a lot of options out there! just wondering what you guys are running on your 33s shock and spring wise

Sud 145

Re: 33 suspension set ups

Post by Sud 145 »

Sounds like you need to speak to Oggie.

Oggie

Post by Oggie »

Finding any P4 up-rated suspension will be a challenge but if you are lucky then the easiest mod is to swap out the bushes for Power flex or super flex ones then try to find a set of Koni yellow inserts for the front with a lower springs all round, Eibach used to do a lower stiffer spring as the P4 sits quite a lot higher especially at the rear.

Also to help rid torque steer fit a Compbrake top mount which dependant on the ones you buy can give a little camber adjustment.

Im sure there are plenty of other folk who have their own preferred set up but thats the order I'd be doing it.

Oggie

Post by Oggie »

Oh and reply to your question I'm using Koni yellows with Powerflex ushes all round, AHM class F springs (really hard) and Compbrake adjustable top mounts. I have managed to drive to Spa a few times but its really only set up for trackdays.

alfasuddriver

Post by alfasuddriver »

Oggie wrote:Oh and reply to your question I'm using Koni yellows with Powerflex ushes all round, AHM class F springs (really hard) and Compbrake adjustable top mounts. I have managed to drive to Spa a few times but its really only set up for trackdays.
Quick question..what’s the difference between red and yellow Koni’s? Thanks.

Oggie

Post by Oggie »

I think the reds are cheaper for a softer set up and closer to the originals with different internal valving compared to the yellows which are supposed to be sportier feel to give a better driver input.

Rew147

Post by Rew147 »

That's great Oggie thanks for the info the koni inserts were the only thing I have seen so you've just confirmed what I thought :D weird they don't seem to list anything for the rears :?: I have seen some Avo rear adjustables though have you had any experience with these?

Oggie

Post by Oggie »

I have seen the AVO shocks on the internet but have no experience with them whatsoever, possibly the only manufacturer to still offer alternatives to the standard units without being bent over and shafted on some one off's.

Intrax do a decent coil overs but have no idea of anyone using them.
http://en.intraxracing.nl/merken/alfa-r ... f5567-1k2/

Rew147

Post by Rew147 »

Oooo those intrax struts look nice pieces of kit :D always worrying when they don't list any prices though Haha may be a case of if you have to ask you can't afford them ☹

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Try GAZ.
I am using their struts and shockers on my rally car with great success.
They might need some donor parts but they will build you what you want.
Did a rally yesterday. Came 34th out of 75 and 3rd in class out of 11
Rsfruitbat

Rew147

Post by Rew147 »

Cool thanks for that will take a look them

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Going back a few posts, there are a few variations of the koni's, not just the red versus yellow, there were also nine adjustable, and adjustable on or off the car.

in other words some were a fixed but improved rate, which if i recall correctly was actually a little softer compression and rebound than stock according to koni themselves, but it suited performance springs and the weight of the car.

then there were the yellows that were adjustable off the car. They had to be fully compressed to locate a keyway in the bottom of the shock and then turned under compression to rotate the damper valves stiffer or softer before you replace it on the car.

and finally there were the racier versions with an adjuster nut external to the shock body, so it could be adjusted still on the car.

whilst the adjustable versions sound appealling, koni always recommended a mid way setting according to their own literature, so why they bothered with the other dozen clicks or so i've little idea! lol!

now the Avo's, ive had a little experience of on my own 33 qv, if you can still find them, i'd buy them.

mine were very nicely made, and had external adjustment that changed both compression and rebound, unlike the koni's rebound only adjustment.

thats adjustment worth paying the extra for in my eyes, but that doesn't mean i wouldnt still buy koni's over stock, cus i would! :lol:

coilover conversion is a strong contender, or have yours done by Gaz, Leda etc possibly :?:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

alfettagtam

Post by alfettagtam »

So the summary is?

Konis at the front, AVO at the back?
Eibach springs
Compbrake top mounts
powerflex bushings

Where do you buy these things? No chance here in NZ but a friend is bringing a shipment of parts from the UK later this year.

I have a P4 that's been sitting for 9 years. Had it on the track last weekend (pics in the Pictures corner) and it was just rubbish!

Rew147

Post by Rew147 »

That's the kind of set up I'm thinking of but but looks to be very diicult to get anything of the shelf for the P4 rear suspension

alfettagtam

Post by alfettagtam »

Rew147

Post by Rew147 »

I think they will fit it's more springs that are an issue as I'm sure there shorter on the P4 due to the straight axle which they mount too so you would have to cut a lump off anything you bought for a Fwd model just to get it to the standard ride height and even more to get it lower! Wether that would allow the Avo shock to work correctly without shortening that too i don't know?

alfettagtam

Post by alfettagtam »

I can get custom springs made locally at reasonable prices - either existing ones modified or new ones made so that looks like where I need to go there.

But you're saying that standard FWD rear shocks will be longer than the originals?

Rew147

Post by Rew147 »

Quite possibly I'm not 100% sure there's not a lot of information let alone parts out there for the P4

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

My personal experience with AVO was extremely poor. To the extent that I would only contact them again out of desperation not choice.
Te conversation I had was with one of the owners, not just a salesperson.

The experience I had with GAZ was the complete opposite. Very helpful.

That's who I would be talking too about if there were any other options.

rsfruitbat

Rew147

Post by Rew147 »

Thanks for the heads up regards AVO I was considering them ,

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi perhaps their attitudes have changed?
Please make your own decision as to whether they can help you or not.
Just be prepared for them to laugh when you tell them whatcar it's for.

Rsfruitbat

Billinjah

Post by Billinjah »

Following I have a p4 I’m looking to set up a little better for fast road and track. If you find any solutions would you post the findings I’ll do the same. Many thanks.