Garage advice?

jobeed

Garage advice?

Post by jobeed »

Hi folks.

Well, moved into the new house, and the Giulia has arrived expertly delivered from the south coast by Shrew, but! The garage has a galvanised tin roof and suffers terribly from condensation.

I was thinking of insulating with kingspan with a small gap between that and the corrugated tin. How effective would this be do you think? It wouldn't be too difficult to do and not expensive. Alternatively it wouldn't be much harder, to change the tin to marine ply
and felt. Would that be better do you think?

I really have no idea, so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated very much.

All the best,
Jon

junior

Re: Garage advice?

Post by junior »

If you used kingspan you would need a sheet of polythene between it and the tin to stop it getting wet from condensate on the roof interior.

Then you would still have the problem of where the water would run off too.

There is some excellent thin silver foils used in lofts that might work, but the problem then is of how to fasten it to the tin. Have you got wooden joists.

Have seen asbestos roofs sprayed with insulation to lessen the problem but not sure how well it would work.

Sorry cannot suggest a clear solution.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi jon

Thanks for the kind comments, as you know it wasn't all plain sailing! :D

As for the garage, i did give that a little thought myself.

My opinion would be that the Tin roof is just the catcher of the condensation that arises from the concrete floor and exposed concrete sectional wall panels.

I still get condensation from the same construction but the corregated cement board Apex roof, my fluorescent lights can drip at its worst.

If you could seal, board, carpet the floor, that will help. I have overlapping offcuts of carpet down and it makes a difference, but i think a control membrane and board the walls could make a big difference too.

Then open up the high area to some airflow.

That almost sounds like i know what I'm on about! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

I'm a big fan of old carpets in garages, they do absorb moisture and then dry out in better weather.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

True.

I occasionally get a damp carpet corner, which comes from the leaves and a little soil building up against tve concrete panel.

The panels need a silicon sealant to the floor and inbetween to stay weatherproof, but condensation is always a problem with concrete buildings and exposed floors i reckon.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

jobeed

Post by jobeed »

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. I thank a multi pronged approach is necessary here!

Apparently metal starts to rust above 40% humidity - according to a bloke on the internet anyway! So I'm going to take a good look into this, and in the mean time sealing the floor and walls, putting carpet down and improving air circulation.

Jon

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hi Jon
With my metal garage mancave . The roof lengths had a felt type carpet stuck to them .To stop condensation. I then insulated the roof and sides with loft insulation. Then paneled the it all with plaster board . I've got no damp what so ever . Hope this helps ;)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Did exactly the same on mine.

slate roof on 6" deep timbers........as much loft insulation as will go in between......plasterboarded under.
Bare concrete floor,painted
Never had a condensation problem

jobeed

Post by jobeed »

Thanks for the additional advice, I'm going to do exactly that, insulate and board it out, seal floor and carpet.

Jon

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

To add to this .I ran power behind the plaster board . Lighting and power . Plus painted the floor too