Series 1 Alfasud seat fabric

Kilroy

Series 1 Alfasud seat fabric

Post by Kilroy »

Hi,

I have posted an entry in the classifieds section with this same title - do please look it up if you are in any way interested in participating in having Series 1 TI seat fabric remanufactured.

I have had a disappointingly limited response to a problem that must affect most (all?) Series 1 TI owners, given how fragile the fabric is!

I am prepared to make the initial investment, but I need order coverage for the minimum order. I am not looking to make anything out of this, I need 5m of fabric myself, but the minimum run is 15m.

Please ask around your Series 1 owning friends...

All the best,

Ian

dralf1965

Re: Series 1 Alfasud seat fabric

Post by dralf1965 »

First i have seen of this, I have two S1 tis so am interested.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Hi Dralf1965 - please reply to my PM if you are still interested.
All the best,
Ian

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

I may be interested, how much a metre we looking at?

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

Excellent job finding such a supplier. Do you think they might be open to also doing the green cloverleaf interior that's 83 onwards sprints had - black with green diamonds I think?
I think there would be another queue behind the Ti owners :-)

Alfa_Japan

Post by Alfa_Japan »

Sorry to hijack this thread but in response to the post made by "Sprint88qv" I posted a link on July 27th in the classified section in the thread called "New Sud parts" to an Italian who is reproducing the Spring QV (black with green diamonds) fabric. I'll repost it here.

http://www.kijiji.it/annunci/auto/campo ... a/79923935

Again sorry for posting something not directly related to the thread topic
Registro Alfasud Giardinetta internazionale (R.A.G.i.)
http://www.alfasud-giardinetta.net/

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

Brilliant, thanks for that!

York Sud

Post by York Sud »

Yes, definitely interested..
96 Alfa 145 QV
74 VW beetle
69 Mini Cooper
71 mini pickup
74 mini Mk3
83 mini Mayfair
68 Morris Traveller
01 Discovery Td5
11 TDV8 Range Rover
14 C63 Merc Shooting Brake

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Hi,

I am pleased to announce that I have had enough commitment from forum members now to order sample material to be made. I have placed the order and I have been told that it will take 7 to 10 days to arrive.

Once the sample has been approved I need to order a minimum of 15m @ an estimated cost of £45/m + VAT (this is cost to me, I am not trying to make anything out of this). I will PM the people who have expressed an interest, to request their personal details - but I am only planning to order enough fabric to cover definite orders, so please let me know as soon as possible if you are interested.

Allowing for wastage, you will need approx. 4m to completely re-trim a car (but please confirm this for yourself - I am assuming that I need 5m for myself).

There has been some discussion over which colour to aim for, the original grey/blue or the dirty cream that it fades down too. At the moment, the original blue/grey (look under your back seat or under a front seat) is the favourite.

All the best,

Ian

Alfa_Japan

Post by Alfa_Japan »

Great initiative which will help out some fellow owners, thumbs up for your effort and sticking your neck out in terms of the financial part of it.
Registro Alfasud Giardinetta internazionale (R.A.G.i.)
http://www.alfasud-giardinetta.net/

Crank

Post by Crank »

Sorry to be a bit slow responding to this thread but as I have two series 1 Ti's awaiting restoration I am interested in buying enough fabric to recover both cars. I look forward to seeing your comments on the quality of the fabric.
1976 1.5Ti
1977 1.2Ti
1989 1.7 Sprint Veloce
1989 75TS
2003 147 2.0TS Lusso
2004 MX5 1.8S
2002 1.6 Focus LX

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Hi Crank, I will PM you to request your details.

I will not have sample fabric for a week or 2, so you are in plenty of time.

Thanks for your kind comments Alfa_Japan - I do have some self interest though, as I have a set of seats that need recovering myself. ;)

I will keep this thread updated, but do also see my thread on the same subject in the "parts for sale" section.

All the best,

Ian

alfasudti1978

Post by alfasudti1978 »

This sounds awesome and I am definitely interested in enough for at least one car, maybe two. I'm from Australia though, is there any way it can be shipped here?

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Hi Alfasudti1978,

Thanks very much for your interest. Shipping to Australia will not be a problem, I have access to FedEx and TNT if necessary, or the good old Royal Mail. :)

I will PM you to request your direct contact details.

At the moment I am still waiting for a sample of the final fabric, but it is due any day.

All the best,

Ian

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Hi,
Just a last call for anyone else out there that might be interested in joining a small consortium getting S1 TI seat fabric remanufactured - and to show off the sample material that I have just received.

Rather than rewrite my email to everyone who has given me their email addresses, here is my email verbatim:

Hi All,

Thanks again for expressing an interest in joining a consortium to get some S1 TI seat fabric remade. I have now received the sample fabric back from the weavers (Humphries Weaving) and I think that it is absolutely superb. See photos attached.

Notwithstanding the colour, it is genuinely very difficult to distinguish it from the original, even close up. It even has the same feel and finish. Apparently the construction is slightly different (I really cannot tell by looking at it), but this should make it harder wearing – Humphries has “rub tested” the sample and quoting their report “Performed well up to 7000, breakdown at 10000”.

Samples from Humphries are only made in 3, set colours – hence the natural, white and black. Although Humphries offer a range of colours for a batch of fabric (also attached), it is quite limited. It also forces us all to order the same colour – and some of us may want to match the fabric to some existing trim.

I propose that we order it in white and then, either individually or as a consortium, get it professionally dyed (there are lots of companies that advertise this service, and will match a sample – see http://www.prestigedyers.co.uk/site/pag ... rview.html ). I have a good sample of the original, unfaded fabric colour (which is what I want) and I am happy to organise getting a quantity of the fabric dyed to this.

I am not interested in making anything out of this, as far as I am concerned it is just a way of making it cost effective to have the fabric made – but I do not want to end up out of pocket either.

As things stand, you are the only people who have been interested enough to give me your email addresses, so I am going to assume that between us we need to order enough fabric to cover the minimum order of 15m, at £48 per metre (£40 + VAT).

I need 5m myself, so that leaves another 10m that I am hoping you will cover between yourselves. Rather than set a minimum quantity at this stage, please can you each tell me how much you would like to order? If that still leaves us with a shortfall, we can then start negotiating.

For £48/m you are buying white fabric. If you would like the fabric to be dyed to the original grey/blue, then that will be at additional cost. All postage will be charged at cost. I will require a 50% deposit, payable prior to me placing the order.

Please let me know if you would like a piece of the sample fabric posting to you – I have a reasonable sized piece so this is not a problem.

Finally, I will update my post on the Forum – so hopefully some more Series 1 TI owners may come out of the woodwork once they see the actual sample. The price goes down to £42/m for over 30m…

Please get back to me as quickly as possible, as I am anxious to get this underway. 

Thanks again and very best wishes,

Ian
Attachments
Sample_01.JPG
OldAgainstNew_01.JPG

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

Meterial looks really good, - pm sent !
John.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Better photo - showing old and new, and the original, unfaded colour on the old that I am having matched (for those who do not want white...)

All the best,

Ian
Attachments
BetterPhoto.JPG

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

You have done a cracking job there Ian.
Well done for sourcing someone to reproduce the fabric.
It will be great to see some dyed and used in a re-trim.
You have paved the way to help keep these Series 1 cars looking good.
As we know on here, there are a number of S1 cars currently undergoing full restos.
Thumbs up from me. :D
Keith.

JetJackson

Post by JetJackson »

I'm one of the people that has committed to buy some fabric.

Last week I took a front seat and the lower half of my back seat to a local trimmer in Portsmouth. He quoted me a ball park figure of around £150 per seat to remanufacture and replace the fabric inserts if all the vinyl is in good order.

Mine is all good except one small puncture in the middle of the back seat. I'm hoping to find a piece to replace it with when the seats are done.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Just a quick (probably unnecessary) clarification of Jet's comment "He quoted me a ball park figure of around £150 per seat to remanufacture and replace the fabric inserts if all the vinyl is in good order." - this £150 does not include remanufacturing the fabric! ;)

It sounds like very good value though, as there is quite a lot of time/work in just stripping down a seat.

I am planning to place my order on the fabric weaver on Monday (7th November), so if I have not already heard from you I need firm commitments and deposits (from anyone that I do not know) by Monday lunchtime.

All the best,

Ian

Fotisd

Post by Fotisd »

Hello!

I've just found this thread.
I own an alfasud ti first series and looking desperate for fabric!
Is there any left? I am from Greece Athens.

Thank you!

Fotis

JetJackson

Post by JetJackson »

All,

We've not updated this thread for a while. My seats are now nearly complete with the new reproduction fabric. A couple of pieces of vinyl have also been swapped from spares I had. Here are a few photos :

Really pleased with the results.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

They look amazing, how they must have appeared 30+ years ago I guess!
Really nice result 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

JetJackson

Post by JetJackson »

The colour in the photos isn't quite how it is. Will take more photos later in the week when I collect.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Excellent work guys.
Great to see the results of all the hard work done in sourcing a replacement. :D
Last edited by Kegsti66 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crank

Post by Crank »

The seats look fantastic, like new. I'm glad I bought enough fabric for my two TI,s. I plan to retire soon so they might actually get restored one day.
1976 1.5Ti
1977 1.2Ti
1989 1.7 Sprint Veloce
1989 75TS
2003 147 2.0TS Lusso
2004 MX5 1.8S
2002 1.6 Focus LX

JetJackson

Post by JetJackson »

And now the rear is complete.

dralf1965

Post by dralf1965 »

Just seen this. Glad i got some material, it looks great.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

What a great result! The Fabric is a really good match for the original. Well done.

Brgds,
Simon

Francois Geboes

Post by Francois Geboes »

While searching for Alfasud 1,2 ti seat fabric I came across this forum so I registered.
Am looking for a piece enough to replace the fabric of the driver's seat bottom. The back rest and the other seats are still in good order.
Maybe someome has a large enough piece left that he likes to sell.
I live in Belgium.