HELP! 16v running very rich

deggy

HELP! 16v running very rich

Post by deggy »

Hi guys
.please bare with me on this one, i may ramble on abit, As shrew and alex will know (i've picked there brains on the phone alot this week) my 33 16v is idleing and running very rough. i'll start from the start, over christmas/jan the car started getting a roaming idle but drove ok really, just really drove you mad at a stand still, i changed the idle valve and it did nothing. i spoke to alex and he said he remembered someone has the same problem in the past and it was gunk or grit not allowing one of the throttle body butterflys to close, so i stripped it all down and checked them and they were fine, at the same time i checked the throttle linkage adjusters and made sure they were opening together in sync, i also checked everything to do with the idle valve was air tight. this could just be my mind but the car seemed to drive smoother on the way home. the next day i went to start the car and it would start but it sounded like it wouldn't spark (the only time i've heard a noise like that before was when i got the firing patten wrong on the dizzy cap while doing the restro) and it wouldn't rev above 2000 revs, i held the throttle and the revs rose and it coughed and spluttered and then began to run normal but very rich and if you let it idle the idle speed would drop very low, alot of the time to the point of cutting out. when warm however it ran almost normal, alittle rich and stuttered every now and then. the idle when warm was quite stable but still roamed alittle bit. so the past two days i've swapped the air flow meter, that did very little, spark plugs (the old ones were black!!) and ecu, still now change.
i know this is abit of a long chain of events, but I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or things you have experienced with the 16v engine.
i found this today
http://www.opel-scanner.com/files/Opel_ ... cML4.1.pdf
and i'm going to check all the the voltage readings tomorrow. any advice is welcome no matter how small, its driving me crazy and i can't remember the last time it ran sweetly
cheers
Dave

KevJTD

Re: HELP! 16v running very rich

Post by KevJTD »

coolant temp sensor?
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hi
Have you tryed adjusting the afm ? From memory if you wind the screw out it leans it out . mite be one of your problems plus with your linkages one side needs to open very slightly before the other , the throttle switch side! God its been to long time away from my 16v :oops:
Hope that helps a bit !
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

deggy

Post by deggy »

hi guys, there both frist on the list. im feeling its the temp sender after reading the bit about the cts sensor. the thing is i changed it late on last year, but i was speaking to alex and he said he had one that didn't work as there was some crap on it, so worth a check

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Good luck with it! ;)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

deggy

Post by deggy »

aahhh miss read the throttle linkage bit. that might be one of the problems as there both in sync now!

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Morning
The throttle switch side only needs to open just before the other side! Mine is out abit , it's like a flat spot ,If you slowly rev the engine, it will shake at about 1500 plus revs then smooth out.this only happens on slow revving which I never did :lol:
I take it your cars got a cat? The lambda mite be nackered too which I'm guessing would cause it to run rich! If it is dead . Chop the cat open weld a pipe through the middle and buy one of my non cat ecu's :lol:
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

Simonsud

Post by Simonsud »

If yours has got a cat a faulty lambda would cause your problem it's best to fit a new lambda changing ecu a bit of a backward fix as a closed loop system containstly adjust fueling as you drive , you could still remove cat for better flow , a blocked cat could also be your problem

deggy

Post by deggy »

its a non cat model 1990, so i knows its not that. i'm off to tinker now so i'll let you know what i find

Simonsud

Post by Simonsud »

I would try temp sensor

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Good luck chap
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

deggy

Post by deggy »

I'm back! i changed the temp sensor, and made sure i got a bosch one, that made it run abit better, but couldn't really tell as the engine was still pretty warm, i got the multi meter and checked the co pot voltage on the air flow meter and that was running at 3.5 volts on idle, so i dropped it to the 2.5 the bosch manual said it should be, then fettled with the throttle linkage as i knew it must be out, and after 15 mins trying got it right, the car now runs like a dream!!! no flat spot low down and no over fueling! the only little thing is the idle still roams a tad but not a massive amount. i'll give it a week see if it calms down at all, as i bet the engine must be coked up abit after running rich for a few months.
MASSIVE thankyou for you input can't tell you how nice the drive home was!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi dave (thanks for the text too!)

Glad you sorted it mate, those multimeter readings are all important when it comes to these early, and quite primitive injection systems eh.

Don't forget, they say that these early Motronics have a pretty slow self learning process within the ecu, so driver her around a bit, as you normally do (like you stole it!), and it should self learn to suit the new adjustments.

Cost you a bit in fuel mate, but it should behve now hopefully eh?

Well done, and ill bet you're glad you've learnt a thing or two about the JerrtyJection system anyway!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Happy days
Glad you sorted it, just go for a proper drive! That will clean it out ;)
I downloaded that link you put up. Will be handy for the future :D