And the side skirts are off...

NUALFAMAN

And the side skirts are off...

Post by NUALFAMAN »

So as you can see I have bought Kev’s 33 and I am new to this forum, however I have been following the forum from day 1 as I have always been a very keen alfesti but only over the last few years got back into Alfa ownership.
So why have I bought this car? Well I used to own a 1985 S1 33 1.5 back in the day when it was a modern car at the same time as Kev owned a Lancia Delta, some say history repeats itself! Now I have known Kev for a long time and seen several of his Alfa projects and was a little jealous when he told me he had a 33 as I have always had a soft spot for them. I have never really been in a position to do a project car because of family, work and basically life in general, but as the kids get older…… and Kev taunting me, even letting me drive his 33 to MITCAR this year so when Kev said he was looking to sell it the other week, well the temptation was just too much, so here I am some 25 years later from my first step into Alfa ownership in the late 80’s owning the S1 Alfa 33 (that was an interesting time let me tell you, that I will no doubt at some time add details to another thread) now owning the 33 I always wanted a 1.7 QV. Not that I have not had Alfa’s in between as I currently also have a modern Giulietta too.
So the plan for H973.
To put it back to the original car that it strives to be, being a low mileage 1.7 16v QV with a solid base to work from. With great work done by Kev in the engine department it means that it “just” needs the body work bringing up to scratch and a few bits sorting out, but me being me I would like to get it looking the best it possibly can so I will take it to pieces bit by bit in my spare time respray and then put it all back together again good enough to show? / use on special occasions? / or just take out and drive and put smile on my face. Let’s see how it goes, as mentioned that’s the plan. This will take a while but I am sure it will be worth it.
Paul.
Attachments
DSC_0468.JPG
And the side skirts are off... so it begins.
And the side skirts are off... so it begins.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta (940)

KevJTD

Re: And the side skirts are off...

Post by KevJTD »

glad it looks as good with the covers off as it did with them on mate ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hi Paul
Welcome to the mad house :D your have loads of fun with a 16v 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi Paul

Welcome to Re-Ownership and the forum, Kev's quite relentless i imagine with an enormous amount of weight to his convincing, so i think you've staved it off pretty well to be honest, but you caved in the end, and thats great! :D

Its also great to hear of your plans for the car. I'm a big big fan of the 33 16v qv, and was actually the guy that unearthed this one prior to Kev and brought it back into the daylight after many years, and agree that it is a great starting point for really nice car. I'm sure it will turn out to be a fantastic addition to a tiny little list of qv's in the uk presently, we need every one we can get, very very rare currently,

But no pressure! :lol:

Welcome again, and the very best of luck.

Shrew
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

So a quick couple of hours going through the car finding and listing all the little faults that will need sorting and things I would like to do.
One such thing was the wipers reluctant to park properly (they did but very slowly). Kev had supplied some spares with the car and in these were a couple of wiper motors and linkages, so after cleaning the scuttle out from years of rubbish I got the best set of linkage and sorted the best motor and replaced the unit. Scuttle cover will remain off for now, as the car slowly gets taken apart, ready to be cleaned stored.
DSC_0518.JPG[/attachment [attachment=0]DSC_0517.JPG
Attachments
DSC_0518.JPG
A bit of delamination on the bottom edge of the screen, although not seen will it be a cause of concern?
A bit of delamination on the bottom edge of the screen, although not seen will it be a cause of concern?
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Can i have my pine needles back please Paul? :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

IMO , Unless you have water ingress or need to change it I would leave the screen for now. The surround looks mint so it isn't as if you need to remove it to attend to any corrosion issues.
Is the S3 bonded in ? if so, maybe you could cut the bottom bead of sealer off flush with the glass, mask and reseal to try and keep any more moisture out.
Sods law you will get a chip one day, then it can come out.
Only other thought is will removal help with the re-spray?
Just a thought.
Good luck she looks sound. :D

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

Ha ha, yes you can have the pine needles back with pleasure Shrew, found more earlier as I stripped the dash out to get to the heater cables, which explains why when I drove it to MITCAR this last year I was covered in them. Where on earth was it parked?
And yes Kegsti66 I believe the screen is bonded so I think I will take your advise and clean away the bottom bead and reseal it. Guess it would help at the re-spray stage but I will see how good it can be masked first as I fear expense.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

It was just a thought.
If it was a rubber I wouldn't suggest cutting it, but if you say the scuttle trim covers the bottom, a line of masking tape on the bottom of the screen, say 5mm, then a clean bead may help.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

think a fair portion of the pine needles also came from that tree in our garden too mate :D

scuttle looks in great shape 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

KevJTD wrote:think a fair portion of the pine needles also came from that tree in our garden too mate :D

scuttle looks in great shape 8-)

They are simply the worst of Gods creations aren't they, the bain of my life bloody pine trees are!

Sadly ours are already like giant redwoods, far beyond a little diy pruning, so are just an all year round pain in the arris!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

A couple of hours spare so a quick look at the heater controls as they were not working and good old Kev had supplied some spares in this department too.
Out came the dash
Out came the dash
Even the hand brake had to come off to get the centre consul out
Even the hand brake had to come off to get the centre consul out
The control unit has a broken dial so donor one will go in
DSC_0538.JPG
but as some of the cables are stiff they will be replaced as well but this may need the whole heater to be taken out to sort the cables, hoping not as trying to free of the existing cables first, so quick question if the heater unit has to come out to reconnect replacement cables, with the water pipes removed, will this cause an air lock when putting it all back together and need bleeding or will the water just naturally circulate?
DSC_0542.JPG
Clearly hoping the cables can be freed.
Fan checked and working fine.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

the water system will self bleed if you need to remove the whole heater box mate, it sits about the highest point so you shouldn't lose much coolant, worth clamping the hoses with a small quick clamp or g clamp if you've one handy, like the little clamps you get to hold stuff to a workmate type thing.
the heater boxes are only held in by 4 10mm spanner sized nuts, you've got the whole replacement one to see where they are so rathee than struggle i'd be inclined to pull lot out as you've got this far, make a nice job of it now and you'll not have it to do again ;)

nice progress mate, bet you're enjoying it :)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

What a day. Was hoping to do plenty to the 33 but ended up putting a new driveshaft on my lads Clio and whilst fetching the driveshaft from the factors some old biddy pulls out of a car park exit and scrapes the rear of my Giulietta, then as I pull over she drives off. I don't even think she realised she hit me. Joy.
Anyway after finishing the Clio and polishing the bumper and wheel of the Giulietta (luckily all but invisible) there was a bit of time to get the heater box removed so I could change some of the cables and make sure all the flaps worked as they should.
DSC_0559.JPG
Bit of a struggle to get it out, like the pipe clamp Kev.
Look what was lurking under the heater box!
Look what was lurking under the heater box!
DSC_0563.JPG
And finally out.
Back to work for the next 5 days so little will get done.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

you don't have much luck with car parks in town mate do you! glad for you that the damage seems to be minimal, bet she didn't know she'd hit you at all.
there's a little old lady who comes in to work once a month to have her tyres checked, she cam in last year with the front end pushed in and the bonnet kinked up.
asked if I could shut her bonnet for her as it looks like it's come up!
when I said it looked like she's run into someone she said she did bump into the back of a lorry trailer!!
needless to say the insurance wrote it off for her but she went out and bought a new car, which now has a scratch on all 4 corners.

know it's a tricky subject with independence and all but sometimes you do wonder how safe some elderly drivers are...

anyway, more pine needles but more confirmation on how solid a car it is. looks great under there, no sign of any rust at all.

you'll be pleased of the struggle once the units all back in and it works great for years to come

great use of spanners to clamp the hoses too :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Seems to be the day of muppet drivers. Looking out of my bedroom window this morning. Watching a van looking for a space . Pulls in front of my car , swings round and clips my rear corner. Could see it was going to happen . Legged it down and went mental at him lol he didn't even know I'd hit it. Let's just say he quickly changed his attitude with me . Plus his boss will be having a chat with him!!
Anyway glad your cracking on with your 33 :D