Engine mods

smiffy 33

Re: Engine mods

Post by smiffy 33 »

Wow that's an interesting setup and more to think about. So the new ecu wouldn't need a maf of any kind.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Which way are you swaying Smiffy? :)
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

smiffy 33

Post by smiffy 33 »

I'm quite liking the injection with the trumpets tbh. If it's about the same cost etc also it's a bit more different off the wall just like me

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

What I use on the rally car is the standard injection system with throttle bodies and an Omex 600 ECU.

Drives like a pussy cat when you want it to and goes like hell everywhere else.

Personaly having had the benefits of injection and an ECU I wouldnt go back to carbs and a dizzy. You can have your cake and eat it, the only issue is it may not sound as nice?

rsfruitbat

smiffy 33

Post by smiffy 33 »

What else do I need apart from the omex 600?
Coil pack? And what do I do with the dizzy?

smiffy 33

Post by smiffy 33 »

Launch control?? Can I have that on it. I know it's says a load of other stuff but launch control would be good.

smiffy 33

Post by smiffy 33 »

Can I use all my old stuff eg water temp sensor throttle postion sensor etc. I currently running it without cam sensors and a lambda sensor will I have to have these re connected?
Ta sorry for all the questions

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Dont forget the loom, you wouldnt want to run all the new gizmo stuff off an adapted 30 year old copper lashing!

Coolant sensors etc are usable, not your tps though. The stock tps is little more than an open and closed switch, but youll need one that returns signal about all the increments in between.

You may or may not want to use the stock flywheel with trigger wheel, but you can and the stock sensor is compatible with the omex. However if it were me id ditch the stock 16v flywheel in favour of a lightweight 8v and install a small 36-1 trigger wheel on the front pulley instead.

Launch control is fully functioning if you want it, but in all seriousness it sounds like the fastest way to lose 2nd gear to me! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

smiffy 33

Post by smiffy 33 »

Hahaha loose 2nd quicker than normal. That's the other thing I've need to sort out. Any other boxes worth getting? Or are they all the same.
Yeah I saw the loom expensive but looks worth it. Plug n play near enough. Getting exciting

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Putting gear ratios and final drive ratios aside for a moment, the youngest boxes are likely the best to stick with.

Series 3 16v 33 is a decent box and likely to be less age fatigued than earlier sud and sprint boxes, and likewise the last of the 145/146 boxes are younger still, but, also have a notable advantage of the alloy sump pan.

This is far stiffer than the tin plate all previous boxes had, and should be considered stage 1 of improving the reliability of the gearbox, particularly when wanting to shove a heap more power through it.

Further improvements can be made to reinforce the box more, but theres only so much you can do with a basic budget, and so stage 2/3 etc is a huge leap into the territory of full race boxes etc, and you dont want that in a road car really.

A decent clutch worthy of up to around 200bhp within the puny confines of of our boxes might be a little awkward, and I'm all ears on other folks suggestions on that one?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

smiffy 33

Post by smiffy 33 »

I'm starting to approximately price things up now, the omex stuff is pretty simple really and then just shop around for the cheapest price. Where do I get the trumpets and socks from? And is it best to just to get any 8v flywheel and have it skimmed and stuff or just how it is?

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Trumpets i can do, lightened flywheels, both 8v and 16v i can do.

Filters, foam socks, gauzes etc are all over online.

Demon tweeks, eurocarb etc etc, but decide on your trumpets before purchasing your filtration :)
SHREW

I AM the Law!

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

petrolhead wrote:Dont forget the loom, you wouldnt want to run all the new gizmo stuff off an adapted 30 year old copper lashing!

Coolant sensors etc are usable, not your tps though. The stock tps is little more than an open and closed switch, but youll need one that returns signal about all the increments in between.

You may or may not want to use the stock flywheel with trigger wheel, but you can and the stock sensor is compatible with the omex. However if it were me id ditch the stock 16v flywheel in favour of a lightweight 8v and install a small 36-1 trigger wheel on the front pulley instead.
Thats basically what I have but the teeth are machined into the front pulley for the trigger wheel.
I recently went to a digital TPS
Pretty sure the loom i used was for an astra red top engine

rsfruitbat

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I like that method Adi.

Must be nice, neat, and leave vital front radiator and cooler space.

Sweet! :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!