It begins...

dave.armstrong

Re: It begins...

Post by dave.armstrong »

Just wait and see how giddy you will be when you get it back! :D :lol:

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

dave.armstrong wrote:Just wait and see how giddy you will be when you get it back! :D :lol:
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

That bare metal rear quarter photo shows what a beautiful design the sprint is, doesn't look dated even today in bare flesh.

dralf1965

Post by dralf1965 »

I have PMd you Colin.

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

dralf1965 wrote:I have PMd you Colin.
I've replied Nick.
Cheers.

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

The bodywork restoration moves on apace.

As we saw earlier, there were some pretty hideous previous 'repairs' to the rear section of the roof discovered when the car was taken down to bare metal.
Look what removing paint and 2" deep layer of filler exposed! Eek!
Look what removing paint and 2" deep layer of filler exposed! Eek!
At first, it was decided that a full-width contoured steel panel could be fabricated by hand to satisfactorily repair the carnage but then it was discoved that it'd be easier and somewhat cheaper to let in a section from a similar scrapped car. So that's exactly what we've done. A rust-free roof rear section has been sourced from Peter at Alfasud Parts Online and this will be used to produce a hopefully invisible repair.
Perfect rust-free roof rear section to be let in.
Perfect rust-free roof rear section to be let in.
The rear panel had also suffered from a lot of corrosion over the years and again at first it was hoped that some hand-crafted repair panels could be made up.
Corrosion to the tailgate slam panel and rear lip is actually worse than it looks.
Corrosion to the tailgate slam panel and rear lip is actually worse than it looks.
Similarly, it was decided that the holes and other corrosion to the tailgate slam panel could be repaired cheaper and easier by salvaging repair sections from a used but rust-free complete rear panel.
The used but rust-free rear panel complete will be used to carry out the necessary repairs
The used but rust-free rear panel complete will be used to carry out the necessary repairs
So, we're well on the way to achieving a rot-free fully sorted bodyshell repaired using as little or no filler as possible, which is what I want in order to be able to enjoy my Sprint for years to come without having to worry about rampant rust!

Three litres of Dinitrol have been ordered to keep it that way too!
We're motoring now.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hi
Starting to come together now,good news.But why use all that filler. Does annoy me.when cowboys fill dents with a ton of filler ,instead of actually trying to knock the dent out . Plus some times it's quicker to knock the dent out. Than fill it :roll:
Anyway looking forward to paint 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

dave.armstrong

Post by dave.armstrong »

Alfamet wrote:The bodywork restoration moves on apace.

As we saw earlier, there were some pretty hideous previous 'repairs' to the rear section of the roof discovered when the car was taken down to bare metal.
Alfa Sud 38.jpg
At first, it was decided that a full-width contoured steel panel could be fabricated by hand to satisfactorily repair the carnage but then it was discoved that it'd be easier and somewhat cheaper to let in a section from a similar scrapped car. So that's exactly what we've done. A rust-free roof rear section has been sourced from Peter at Alfasud Parts Online and this will be used to produce a hopefully invisible repair.
roof.JPG
The rear panel had also suffered from a lot of corrosion over the years and again at first it was hoped that some hand-crafted repair panels could be made up.
Alfa Sud 62.jpg
Similarly, it was decided that the holes and other corrosion to the tailgate slam panel could be repaired cheaper and easier by salvaging repair sections from a used but rust-free complete rear panel.
rear panel.JPG
So, we're well on the way to achieving a rot-free fully sorted bodyshell repaired using as little or no filler as possible, which is what I want in order to be able to enjoy my Sprint for years to come without having to worry about rampant rust!

Three litres of Dinitrol have been ordered to keep it that way too!
We're motoring now.
Seems like a great way to do it.

The bodyshop you are using will make sure that you wont see the repair.

It's getting nearer Colin! :D

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

Can't wait Dave!

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

Johnboy wrote:Hi
Starting to come together now,good news.But why use all that filler. Does annoy me.when cowboys fill dents with a ton of filler ,instead of actually trying to knock the dent out . Plus some times it's quicker to knock the dent out. Than fill it :roll:
Anyway looking forward to paint 8-)
Yes. We're getting closer....

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Looking forward to it 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

Progress continues.

Having had the new replacement front wings taken down to bare metal a while since, it was established that they were in sound rust-free condition. They were subsequently primed to keep them in good condition while work continued on other areas of the bodywork.
The bonnet in particular needed lots of attention as taking it back to bare metal had exposed a lot of damage and minor dents caused by stone chips. With all of this remedied, the bonnet was primed. It's since had its final prep and rub down and has now been painted! :D
Bonnet is now finished in Ionian Ivory top coat!
Bonnet is now finished in Ionian Ivory top coat!
With this done, the front wings have been rubbed down again and had their final prep before the top coat is applied.
Both front wings during final prep
Both front wings during final prep
They're now ready to receive top coat. Excellent work by the bodyshop!
Ready for top coat next
Ready for top coat next
We're getting closer......

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

So, joining the finished bonnet, today we have both front wings and Alfie's front panel and valance in top coat!
O/s front wing finished!
O/s front wing finished!
Front panel and valance in colourcoat!
Front panel and valance in colourcoat!
N/s front wing finished!
N/s front wing finished!
Work has now begun on the o/s front door and all the rusty metal has been cut out ready to receive the NOS repair panel:
Rusty metal cut out ready for the repair panel to be let in
Rusty metal cut out ready for the repair panel to be let in
I'm smiling! :D :P

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Will there be anything left of that rear panel after they have cut out the sections needed ?

If it's still usable but with the odd hole I'd be interested as a just in case spare for my racer, especially after a nob punted me off last year.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cooking on gas now Colin.
Love it when paint starts going on.
I had a 1.5 veloce in that colour and I like it. Also had a 33 s1 and my brother had a 1.3sc in it as well 8-)

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

Veesix75 wrote:Will there be anything left of that rear panel after they have cut out the sections needed ?

If it's still usable but with the odd hole I'd be interested as a just in case spare for my racer, especially after a nob punted me off last year.
I'll certainly let you know one way or the other.
Last edited by Alfamet on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

Kegsti66 wrote:Cooking on gas now Colin.
Love it when paint starts going on.
I had a 1.5 veloce in that colour and I like it. Also had a 33 s1 and my brother had a 1.3sc in it as well 8-)
I had a little bit of a dilema Keith after Alfie was taken back to bare metal. The Speciale was available in red, black, silver, metallic green or ivory. I could have picked any one of these colours for the respray and would still have been keeping originality but in the end, I kept it Ivory. Like yourself, I like it and it reminds me too of a previous Sud I had in the same colour and from the same period many moons ago.
Ionian Ivory. A lovely period colour
Ionian Ivory. A lovely period colour

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Good to keep it the original colour I think also from a history perspective. I always liked the early sud and sprint metallic green, but the speciale green was lighter/paler ?

Ivory suits it well with the stripe contrast.

dave.armstrong

Post by dave.armstrong »

The paint finish looks great Colin

I had an Ivory 95bhp Ti

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Quudos to the sprayer .Great work 8-)