Alfasud SI Ti 1976 Restoration

vecchioalfa

Re: Alfasud SI Ti 1976 Restoration

Post by vecchioalfa »

petrolhead wrote:
vecchioalfa wrote:
Kegsti66 wrote:No problem Adi,
When you see my car you can give them a good look over. I was pleased with what Graham ,the trimmer I know, did. He also fitted my headlining.
..... I also need a new headlining :) its one of those things that is impossible to remove without damaging it

Ditto mate,

I think mine will be a custom made affair, but thats easily justified in my car, unlike yours eh mate :|
Hopefully keeping it as original as possible (except engine) :)

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Can I ask what your plan is for the engine department?
Keith :?:

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Kegsti66 wrote:Can I ask what your plan is for the engine department?
Keith :?:
I am planning to use a 1.7 from an early 33 green cloverleaf that has solid lifters so cam covers will look period, I was hoping to fully recondition it, re-bore with oversize pistons etc. but so far I have been unable to locate any new piston sets for the engine :cry: all I have managed to locate in the last year or so are 3 pistons/rings/pins in .40mm oversize, not much good unless I can find a 4th one!!
I also have a green cloverleaf 1.5 engine & box which I could use if I have still been unable to locate a set of 1.7 pistons by the time I am needing an engine. I still have the 1186cc engine, I will keep it but not planning to refit it to the car

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

There is another possibility Adi, because i know from talking you want the car to be more than capable in todays traffic/roads etc, and not so busy as the 1.2 would be, and thats to use what you've got in the bottom end, and bore it to 1.8 with the NRP 89mm 240sx pistons and rings, available brand new, complete, for under £150 delivered! :o

Bert308 has been doing some homework on it, and John at Justsuds has got himself a set too. At that price, its worth doing instead of any kind of stock rebuild with gains all rounds to boot.

Just a thought mate
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

petrolhead wrote:There is another possibility Adi, because i know from talking you want the car to be more than capable in todays traffic/roads etc, and not so busy as the 1.2 would be, and thats to use what you've got in the bottom end, and bore it to 1.8 with the NRP 89mm 240sx pistons and rings, available brand new, complete, for under £150 delivered! :o

Bert308 has been doing some homework on it, and John at Justsuds has got himself a set too. At that price, its worth doing instead of any kind of stock rebuild with gains all rounds to boot.

Just a thought mate
Aye up,
Yes been thinking about that as well, but the problem could be with head gaskets, although 1mm diameter bigger = 0.5mm more of the head gasket exposed in the chamber so it may not make much difference, anyone have any input on this? :?

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

The general consensus so far, from berts homework, is that the standard head gaskets are used, but they varied from one brand to another, so there are some to be steered clear if, and some that are fine.

Ill see if i still have what he wrote in a bit.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Just a heads up ref. no. plates
As we can probably all remember cars in the UK up to about 1979 when new had aluminium no. plates with raised plastic letters, then for about 2 or 3 years one piece pressed aluminium ones and then from about 1982/3 the type still used today, plastic laminate.
The ones on my car being a 1976 were the raised plastic letter type and the rear one was the original from new still with the supplying garage name on it (Anca Garage, Worthing) and front although original style had been replaced sometime back in the day although slightly different in design. The original plan was to restore these but on investigation the alloy was too badly corroded especially on the front one so I needed to have a rethink. Ebay turned up plastic ones and the boy racer german font ones in pressed alloy, no good for what I wanted so I found a company called 'Framptons'

http://www.pl8s.co.uk/index.html

Their raised riveted type were just what are needed for SI & SII cars (and older alfas etc.)
I ordered a pair over the phone, they asked for a scan of the car log book and passport
They arrived and look great, the alloy edges needed a bit of finishing off especially the square rear plate to remove burrs and pressing marks with wet & dry paper, steel wool & then some wet scotch but now look fab.
261014 001.JPG
261014 002.JPG
These come undrilled and the rear plate was slightly (1/4") taller than the original one so you need to be careful and accurate when drilling as the bottom hole positions are set really because of the boot lid handle. These are a lot more expensive than the plastic ones at £65 the pair but to me look a lot better and worth the extra.

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

Nice.......anca garage in worthing late 80's was a volvo dealer

Alfa dealer was in lancing I can't remember name at the minute

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

alfachris wrote:Nice.......anca garage in worthing late 80's was a volvo dealer

Before it was a Volvo dealership it was Alfa apparently, address was: 187 Findon Road, Worthing, Sussex
I am unsure what is there now?
My car was sold to its first owner on 5th. March 1976
First owners lived at: 4 St. Elmo Road, Worthing, Sussex, BN14 7EH
Any info. greatly received, thanks,
Adrian

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Just been looking on google street view and it seems the garage is still there, its now 'PDH FIAT' next to a BP Fuel station :)
That's one place the car will be visiting when its finished ;)

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

A nice touch with the plates.
My car had the original dealer supplied plate still on the back, (front had been replaced at some point as it was bumped ) but that was a smooth laminate one.
Yours do look the part.

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

vecchioalfa wrote:
alfachris wrote:Nice.......anca garage in worthing late 80's was a volvo dealer

Before it was a Volvo dealership it was Alfa apparently, address was: 187 Findon Road, Worthing, Sussex
I am unsure what is there now?
My car was sold to its first owner on 5th. March 1976
First owners lived at: 4 St. Elmo Road, Worthing, Sussex, BN14 7EH
Any info. greatly received, thanks,
Adrian
Pdh fiat dealership now

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

vecchioalfa wrote:Just been looking on google street view and it seems the garage is still there, its now 'PDH FIAT' next to a BP Fuel station :)
That's one place the car will be visiting when its finished ;)
That will be good as I'm moving back down there next year. Should have one or two of the sud's on the road later next year or so lol

Should be able to get the west sussex sud boy's all together

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Thought I would run an update on progress.....
The door is now in etch primer....
171014 011.JPG
I used a probe to spray it into the seams and turned the door over at different angles to make sure it ran everywhere
171014 019.JPG
There are a few areas that still need repair but at least now it cannot rust :)

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Now back to the O/S front inner wing area......
More rust in the seam between chassis leg and inner wing
171014 012.JPG
171014 013.JPG
All corroded area cut away and new piece made up, tacked in place then seam welded & then welds carefully ground back
171014 014.JPG
171014 015.JPG

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Rear 3 way seam all cut away and repaired
171014 023.JPG

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

All the rusty area of the front section of the chassis leg cut away, foam removed, etch primer added even though some will burn off when new metal is added
171014 022.JPG
I made up a new panel for the very front section and cut away the old badly rusted section
261014 003.JPG
261014 004.JPG
to reveal another mess :roll:
261014 005.JPG
Front crossmember spacer and surrounding area was in a bad way
261014 006.JPG
Luckily the spacer came out and inside of the chassis leg cleaned up as it was only surface rust lucily

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

The spacer cleaned up good in the end and more etch primer added
261014 007.JPG
261014 009.JPG
Originally held in place with a peened over alloy pin that had long since corroded away I decided on something a little different which should look good when painted
261014 008.JPG

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

261014 010.JPG
Captive nut added for the outer wing bracket & then work on the front seam started...
261014 012.JPG

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Repairs are looking great, I don't know how you and Kev find the time to get so much done between your regular posts.
Top work. 8-)

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

That bit is now done too...
311014 010.JPG

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Kegsti66 wrote:Repairs are looking great, I don't know how you and Kev find the time to get so much done between your regular posts.
Top work. 8-)
Thanks mate :)
Its amazing how much rust these cars hide from view, it seems to me that if any corrosion is externally visable then expect major corrosion inside as these cars rust from the inside out for sure

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

The strut tops on my car are a mess, when you can see corrosion like this, inside it will be bad..... :roll:
Attachments
IMG_0406.JPG

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG
So I decided to drill through the spot welds holding the underside panel on and start again from scratch.......

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG
............and its off :)
IMG_0421.JPG

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

...... anyone got one of these kicking about......... :?

I found one on a new old stock panel but guess what...... it is for the other side :roll:
so if anyone has one (R/H Side) please let me know otherwise I will have to look at making a new one / repairing this one

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Ouch !
That will keep you busy, good luck. :o

Gary Orchard

Post by Gary Orchard »

Hello vecchio

I have this complete panel that it looks like I will not need now
SUD 060.jpg
SUD 061.jpg
Got some surface rust on it but I guess it could save you a lot of work

pm me if you are interested

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Very impressive as always.
Are you still going with the original "musty yellow" ? and isn't she old enough to of had the rubber mats instead of carpet ??

Keep up the excellent work - yours and mine are like "chalk and cheese", yours will be so Original and will be so "UN original" :lol: :lol:

As for the rest of you S1 owners -- it'll be the largest gathering of s1's next year for sure

WELL DONE ALL

H

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Kermit wrote:Very impressive as always.
Are you still going with the original "musty yellow" ? and isn't she old enough to of had the rubber mats instead of carpet ??

Keep up the excellent work - yours and mine are like "chalk and cheese", yours will be so Original and will be so "UN original" :lol: :lol:

As for the rest of you S1 owners -- it'll be the largest gathering of s1's next year for sure

WELL DONE ALL

H
Hi Harvey,
Yes planning on doing it the original colour, it has carpet, I think all SI Ti's had carpets only the early saloons had the rubber mats but i'm not 100% sure on that.
Cheers,
Adi