Alfasud SI Ti 1976 Restoration

vecchioalfa

Re: Alfasud SI Ti 1976 Restoration

Post by vecchioalfa »

Got the door back from the strippers on Friday, looks great, all corrosion gone completely....
41012 001.JPG
41012 002.JPG
41012 004.JPG
41012 005.JPG
41012 006.JPG
I was told to scotch it and use a 'gun cleaner' - presumably a good quality de-greaser?, the door has a pacifier coat on it currently which I need to get off before etching it, any body paint person on here that can tell me exactly what I need, maybe 3M or bodyline make something....

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

amazingly rust free door there mate 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Very good result, .that looks like new.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hi it's called panel wipe ;)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I call my brother a similar name to panel wipe......

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

excellent door Adi,

was that Tim at pro strip done the biz for you?

personally, and because i know what processes Tim uses, i would use something like green scotch, with wash thinners, blow/air dry, then clean off with cloth and panel wipe, lots of it.

blow/air dry, and then etch prime to start the covering processing off.

all on a bright sunny afternoon of course, Doh! missed that opportunity it seems! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Johnboy wrote:Hi it's called panel wipe ;)
Cheers mate ;)

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Veesix75 wrote:I call my brother a similar name to panel wipe......
:lol:

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

petrolhead wrote:excellent door Adi,

was that Tim at pro strip done the biz for you?

personally, and because i know what processes Tim uses, i would use something like green scotch, with wash thinners, blow/air dry, then clean off with cloth and panel wipe, lots of it.

blow/air dry, and then etch prime to start the covering processing off.

all on a bright sunny afternoon of course, Doh! missed that opportunity it seems! :D
Hi Shrew,
It was Tims' right hand man with the grey hair that I dealt with although I spoke to Tim on the phone about it, it certainly needs a good clean and all doing on 1 day for sure, finding that 'good' day this week could be issue if done outside (which with space issues at the moment it will probably have to be!), its in the downstairs toilet at the moment :lol: so no chance of rust beginning again current (but it can't stay there!). I will redo the hinge pins as well and there are a few cracks door/glass frame that I need to sort as well but after its all in etch so I know no chance of any rust foaming.

On a different note shrew..... I popped into that motor engineers that is closing (giacone motor engineers) on London road when I was walking by on my way to the Forest match on Sunday, they have a bit of a yard sale going on, in amongst it are a load of 916 GTV / Spider parts including some nice black leather seats and alloys etc. it closes on the 15th I think and then its all being knocked down and area redeveloped, I was going to went you a txt about this but just found out my mobile has gone tits up and need to buy another this week at some point. Worth a look mate, all depends what sort of money the old boy is looking for ;)

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I'll be there tomorrow morning mate!

Thanks again for the heads up Adi, ill see what he's got :mrgreen:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

The door looks great, wish mine had been that good.
I agree with Shrew, about the prep process. Thorough de-grease and dry, and a thorough etch inside and out.
Most quality etches have rust inhibiting properties (so they tell us !!) so that helps with the protection.
Well done.

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Kegsti66 wrote:The door looks great, wish mine had been that good.
I agree with Shrew, about the prep process. Thorough de-grease and dry, and a thorough etch inside and out.
Most quality etches have rust inhibiting properties (so they tell us !!) so that helps with the protection.
Well done.
Yes hoping to get on it soon, the missus is going to start moaning if every time so goes into the downstairs loo she is met with the sight of a sud door even though I have told her its in fantastic condition :lol:

Greencloverleaf pat

Post by Greencloverleaf pat »

Door looks in very good condition as for your door being stored in your downstairs loo, I have both my painted bumpers in the loft at my house but my partner never goes up there and she does not know they are up there either.
P s my sud doors will be going up there as well soon once they have been painted lol.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Wow Pat !!
How big is your loft hatch ??

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I lost what thread it was on.
Yes, I had a second, better set of seats re-trimmed. I tried to find a fabric that was as close a match as I could. It isn't perfect, but I am pleased with the overall look.[img][img][img][img][/img][/img][/img][/img]
Attachments
march 2013 007.JPG
march 2013 010.JPG
seats 042.jpg
seats 004.jpg

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Beautiful regardless of cloth mate,

You can only do what you can do, if the original cloth or seats arent there, you can only do your best, and that looks a bloody good crack at it mate.

Lovely!

On the subject of seats, and going back to an earlier enquiry by Adi, i finally made it across to see Franco Giacone to see what he had.

A lot of the alfa stuff is 156 era, but i did manage to do a deal for a good pair of black leather GTV (916) front seats, and a set of 10" compomotive tf 105 alloy wheel for classic mini.

Not sure if I'll use the seats in a sud, but they are a pretty cool reclining/folding seat that do suit them when fitted properly and matched with the right back seats, and the wheels are already on ebay to make a few quid back hopefully.

Fingers crossed ;)
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

I have seen a couple of suds with 916 seats in them. Apparently you just need to modify the runners but they seem a well proportioned fit.
Glad you like the way mine came out, you'll see them next year at Kev's "Big Sud bash". :D :D

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Those seats look tip top mate, that Ti I imported from OZ is a 1977 and the fabric looks almost Indentical to what you have on yours right now, when I get to the stage of needing mine done on my 1976 car I will get some more details off you about so I can try and get mine done as well the same

Shrew, glad you got over there mate.... I still can't believe they are knocking down all those buildings :( (to build what, I am not sure), probably more appartments :| , walking to the match will never be the same :lol: . Anyway, pleased you managed to do a deal on a few bits, judging be what he had still to sell it looks like the bloke could be selling at autojumbles and e-bay for quite a while, he had very little or no 'new old stock' which is what I buy so nothing there for me unfortunately, someone else probably beat me too it all :cry:

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

As far as i know Adi, its going to be the new Central Fire Station, which kinda makes sense, as ive no idea how the Tenders get out of the current city centre building in a hurry as it is, surrounded by one way system and pedestrian areas increasing overnight, bloomin ridicuous isn't it?

He's a funny bloke is old Franco, the first visit i walked in on a full blown Italian Rage Rant to his eastern import staff, it was quite hilarious! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

No problem Adi,
When you see my car you can give them a good look over. I was pleased with what Graham ,the trimmer I know, did. He also fitted my headlining.

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

petrolhead wrote:As far as i know Adi, its going to be the new Central Fire Station, which kinda makes sense, as ive no idea how the Tenders get out of the current city centre building in a hurry as it is, surrounded by one way system and pedestrian areas increasing overnight, bloomin ridicuous isn't it?

He's a funny bloke is old Franco, the first visit i walked in on a full blown Italian Rage Rant to his eastern import staff, it was quite hilarious! :lol:
Aye up, yes that makes sense all round really, surprised they haven't just 'closed it' with all these cut backs

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Kegsti66 wrote:No problem Adi,
When you see my car you can give them a good look over. I was pleased with what Graham ,the trimmer I know, did. He also fitted my headlining.
..... I also need a new headlining :) its one of those things that is impossible to remove without damaging it

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Anyway, back on with the old rust bucket..........
Continuation of the r/h inner wing area
I stripped all that rubberised coating off the reveal some good, some not so good, as usual :) .....
30914 001.JPG
No point just cleaning it up on the outside as look what's behind it.....
30914 004.JPG
Luckily the chassis leg itself only had light surface on it which came off with the dremel tool ok
30914 005.JPG
Loads of that foam removed as well....
30914 006.JPG
repair panel made up from a cardboard template and welded in place, welds carefully ground back and a bit of etch primer added
30914 009.JPG

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

More repairs further along towards the front, cut out and repaired with new metal...
171014 001.JPG
Wherever there is a panel join there is corrosion....
171014 004.JPG

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

171014 002.JPG
171014 003.JPG
Another bit done.... :D

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

.... and then this 3-way seam, all 3 sections needed cutting back and replacing, took ages, more cardboard templates ;)
171014 023.JPG

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

It is strange how different areas rot worse than others.
Once again, great repairs. Do you plug weld the joints or have you a spot welder?
Here is my headlining.
Attachments
Parts reconditioning 26.03.11 067.jpg
Parts reconditioning 26.03.11 004.jpg

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

that headlining looks amazing, the area near the rear the C pillar top is tricky to get right.
can see me getting mine done properly by the proffesionals ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Yes it looks amazing, good match of fabric as well ;)
I plug weld on the seams, I thought about buying a spot welder before but there expensive and big things to store so always managed without

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

vecchioalfa wrote:
Kegsti66 wrote:No problem Adi,
..... I also need a new headlining :) its one of those things that is impossible to remove without damaging it

Ditto mate,

I think mine will be a custom made affair, but thats easily justified in my car, unlike yours eh mate :|
SHREW

I AM the Law!