1500ti restoration. Ex racer

junior

Re: 1500ti restoration. Ex racer

Post by junior »

Hi Shrew. 8j it is then, as its close to 9 overall front to back width. Another thing learnt. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

the way to measure a wheel width is on the inside edges of the wheel, where the tyre sits.
the J refers to rim flange design as has been said.
widths of rim flanges do vary between brands of alloys but allowing an inch overall is probably a good estimate, but on some wheels without J type beads the thickness at the flange varies greatly.
just about all wheels will have the dimensions stamped on them, alloys it's usually on the back of one of the spokes. steels used to get it stamped near the valve
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

All very correct of course kev,

Until faced with split rims, especially 3 piece where both front and back sections are changeable, and/or the centre plate can be front, middle or rear mounted, and the original build 30 years had long since changed! Ha ha!

I know you knew that, but for the usefulness of the thread, there it is.

2 piece splits are a fixed width but can be variable offset, so are often stamped somewhere with their "j" status, but if 3 piece, ignore any markings and just go for the tape! :P

Anyway, 8j you say? And that looks about right and would be period accurate too, so i reckon you're right. So anything between 195 to 225 would fit and work width wise, so its down to what suits and fits in profile as next consideration i would say.

The tyres currently fitted appear quite a low profile for 13", but i suspect that may be down to a mixture of choice, and a desire to run very low final gearing?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

junior

Post by junior »

I did search for a number or markings Kev but could not find anything. Well, that will be not untill I have bought the wrong tyres :lol:

The tyres do seem to be rather low profile and I wondered if it was just down to getting the car as low as possible with it having the exhaust out of the way and allowing them to do so.

Many thanks for all the replies. looked at several of the tires and feel looking the part may have to come into it again.

Still there are a few more hurdles before then. Thanks again all.

junior

Post by junior »

Been distracted of late as this needed a starter clutch which the owner could not afford.

Was quoted £800 by the main dealer who do not seem particularly good and I have managed to do it for £150 so very pleased.

Almost done now just need a cover back on and some expensive oil.

junior

Post by junior »

Image Thanks Lauren. I finally got my headlamps m4 bolts and springs, and patience so fitted one lamp. Looks in keeping so very pleased. :D

Also tried to do work under the car and struggled, so set off into resurrecting the pit that the last chap filled in and concreted over.

Broke through two lots of reinforcement, got the `love the smell of an angle grinder in the morning' feeling. Then dug all the smashed concrete out.
Then slate waste and soil. No wonder the welsh were tough, a few hours of trying to dig it makes one crazy. There is not a hand tool designed for that job yet. Then all the normal junk people throw in holes because recycling takes a bit of effort.
Took me three days, but got several barrow loads of good soil nicely sifted, a bit of lead and one good washer.
I may find a spot for it on the Alfa as it has not a speck of rust on it. Overjoyed to reach the last spadefull and proud owner of one pit.
By the time I finish this car I will have the tools, skills and contacts to rebuild one. :roll:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

a pit at home would be great, well worth the effort mate ;)

mind you, if I had one in the drive at the moment it'd just be a swimming pool!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

Ta Keith.

Yes I was surprised to find this pit dry all the way down.

Oh yes and when I say skills I do not mean the level of yourself and several others on this forum. Very impressed at how your getting on with the Lancia.

By the way do you have any idea what size bolts fit the casting that the hoses fit both sides on just before the thermostat. Odd bit that bolts on top of the engine at the front. Picture would help at this point :roll:

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Do you mean this bit ?
Car is shaping up nice James.
Keith, not Kev :lol:
Attachments
20.08 .2011Engine refurbishment 001.jpg

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

M8 bolts, Kev not Keith :D

seem to feel that one is longer than the rest for some reason that I can't remember why?

as long as they are a good 15mm or so through the casing and not overly long as to bottom out they'll be fine. use a thin screwdriver or an old nail or something to gauge how much depth you have in the casting before fitting the mount ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

I thought they were m8 but one felt odd when tried. Shall clean them out, check I have the right bolt and go again.

I like that you had the photo. Great KEV ! :D Thanks.
Funny thing ended up the other day discussing how there were a lot of Keiths and Kevins in the Alfa world.

Involved with a course once that had 10 people on it and 6 were Johns. Ended up with Crazy john, honest john, .....

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

There's only one Shrew! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

junior wrote: Thanks Lauren. I finally got my headlamps m4 bolts and springs, and patience so fitted one lamp. Looks in keeping so very pleased. :D
That looks great, well done. Looks like that panel was made for the job. Inspection pit looks good too, wish I had one!

Lauren

junior

Post by junior »

Just finally fitted the petrol tank. Sounds so easy, but cannot believe how long it has taken. :roll:

From collecting the replacement, to cleaning it up inside and out, then painting outside, then treating it inside, then cleaning up the various holes

and threads, then the sorting the replacement sender, then the captive nuts needed replacing, and to top it all off, it just would not fit back in.

Had to use much longer bolts in the end. Good job I did not get to do the task before buying the car or I would probably own a 3 litre GTV now.

Well its another bit of garage clear and two straps not falling out every time I search for a part. So good day. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

can be a right fiddle of a job mate so well done on persevering, I too have often had to use longer bolts for the straps
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

Just fitting an electric pump and wondered why the fuel pipe on the tank aims to the back not the front. :?:

Suits me as I shall fit a the pump at the back but seems odd and cannot see it in the manual.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Thats right James, the feed pipe comes backwards.

My pump is at the rear bolted to the floor but I don't have a spare wheel well either. You should find space to the side of the wheel well to mount a pump. You don't need a massive spec pump, I use a road spec facet pump. It's a bit noisy but I can't hear it on full throttle :D

junior

Post by junior »

Hi.

Well my wheel well has so many holes in it that bolting it on the side should be fine. (not sure what they had in there to need so many holes), and I think I have some old chainsaw anti vibration mounts so may well fix it via them.

Glad to hear a road one will suffice as acquired a new one plus a s/h filter king which is in great condition.

Just a bit of thinking now then will get on with it. :)

junior

Post by junior »

Hi.
Missed a fault on my clutch plate so need a new one.

Anyone bought one recently for a 1.7 engine and found a good one as not sure about some of the e bay etc offers. :?:

Also does a number plate light have to shine down on to the plate or can it shine up ? :!:

Thanks chaps.

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

junior wrote:Hi.
Missed a fault on my clutch plate so need a new one.

Anyone bought one recently for a 1.7 engine and found a good one as not sure about some of the e bay etc offers. :?:

Also does a number plate light have to shine down on to the plate or can it shine up ? :!:

Thanks chaps.
Re the number plate lamp
I am sure it can shine up provided the white light cannot be directly seen from the rear. There are several standard older cars that have lamps mounted on the bumper pointed up.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Pointing up is fine as above, the sud number plate light pointed up from the bumper originally.

Clutches - my mate sold thousands of them and said most were made in the same factory, but AP Lockheed , Sachs or even Delphi would be plenty good enough brands.

Some of the cheaper eBay ones won't be in stock even if you try to buy them,

Have a look at Alfashop and see what they do.

junior

Post by junior »

Great news. thank you chaps. :D

Annoying how something looks quite okay until you take a photo and then every fault stands out alarmingly. :o

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Looks ok.....it's a 'retro' car after all......

junior

Post by junior »

This one is the best. My new sump all finished from modifying. Then spray painted but one photo later it looks like I painted it with a mop! :roll:

I obviously need more light in my shed or my eyesight is going down hill fast. :lol:

junior

Post by junior »

Made a nice blanking plate for the fuel pump which has been staring at me for a while.

Trying to fit a front indicator and these look much better than most, but I think I have it tucked in too too close to the headlight and a bit high.
Before I cut anymore holes in the mesh I am using as a template I would value any thoughts as to the position.

And before anyone asks no its not got one wheel in the new pit, its my lousy camera skills. :lol:

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I think I'd be tempted to use something a bit more basic in shape and place it near that hole in the valance.

I think you are right that one is a bit close to the headlight.

My sprint racer has some basic round ones in the valance, they look like the came off a moggy minor!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

would it fit in that space where the vents are in the front panel?
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

adsblacksud

Post by adsblacksud »

I have some small, low profile, surface mount rectangular ones that fit in the concave channel in the front panel directly below the headlamp, if that makes sense.
Being that shape they are more like the standard ones
I'm out in the garage tomorrow, will post a photo and try to remember where I got them from.
Thanks
Adam

junior

Post by junior »

Hi Adam that would be great. I been round several autojumbles and watched the web drift by but to no avail.

Most look far to English to be fitted on an Alfa.

Fitting them in vents seemed to look worse I thought, but may well revisit that decision. Thanks for all the thoughts gents. :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

download/file.php?id=1716&mode=view

Actually mine probably came off a daleks head in hindsight. ....