Classic Alfa Forum

Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby Pete Jennings » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:25 pm

Dear all, I have just had my sprint cloverleaf metric wheels refurbed and am refitting the tyres, and it crossed my mind.... is anyone actually still running on these wheels?!?!? I have a set of the 14" speedlines that she runs on now but have the original set for show use, obviously the tyres are decades old so won't be driving on them.
I gather the TRX is still available but poisonous price. Anyone still run day to day on them ?!?!?
Cheers
Peter
Last edited by Pete Jennings on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Jennings
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby alfasuddriver » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:23 pm

I was told that the Suds and Sprints handle better with the TRX tyres but I’ve never actually tried them out. Also, I have a pair of new TRX tyres if they are of any use? I have 14” speed lines on my Sud at the moment...
alfasuddriver
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:10 am

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby LooLooSud33Spider » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:32 pm

Having driven many suds on both the metric TRX tyres and more regular 185/60/14 tyres. I have to say I always found the TRX shod vehicle’s more twitchy and generally gave a less pleasant ride. I actually hated them and I thought they spoiled the superb balance of the suds chassis.
Over the yrs We also had several customers who specifically asked us to source wheels and change their cars over to 14”. The other benefit is that quality 185/60/14 tyres are still readily available.
LooLooSud33Spider
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:14 pm
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby Pete Jennings » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:24 pm

alfasuddriver wrote:I was told that the Suds and Sprints handle better with the TRX tyres but I’ve never actually tried them out. Also, I have a pair of new TRX tyres if they are of any use? I have 14” speed lines on my Sud at the moment...

Yes I could be interested in the tyres. :-) depending what you want for them, I have four good tyres on four referbed wheels....and they are only for show use....bit a couple of spare tyres could be useful.. I think the 14 " ones fill the arches much better.
My car had TRX on it when I bought it in 1992.... but I swapped I guess around 1995 for the 14" ones as tyres gave more choice and much much cheaper...
Can't say I noticed much in handling dept.... but was always more careful on the TRX because they were so expensive.... and at 18 I was certainly on a budget!
Peter
Pete Jennings
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby Pete Jennings » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:28 pm

LooLooSud33Spider wrote:Having driven many suds on both the metric TRX tyres and more regular 185/60/14 tyres. I have to say I always found the TRX shod vehicle’s more twitchy and generally gave a less pleasant ride. I actually hated them and I thought they spoiled the superb balance of the suds chassis.
Over the yrs We also had several customers who specifically asked us to source wheels and change their cars over to 14”. The other benefit is that quality 185/60/14 tyres are still readily available.

Yes I changed after a year or so to the 14" speedlines, I would never go back but wanted another set of metric as these were fitted at the factory...and I sold my original metric set to part fund the 14" replacements.. I do like the trx tread pattern.... I may pop them on for brooklands... but day to day it will remain on 14"
£200 buys 4 Pirelli tyres..... vs 300 for 1 trx.... No brainer really...
Last edited by Pete Jennings on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Jennings
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby Sud 145 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:07 am

How old are these tyres, I'm all for originality but not sure I'd want to drive them on the road. How would they fair if for some reason you were stopped by the police? Wouldn't a fail on 4 tyres = a ban? Just saying.
Sud 145
 
Posts: 1243
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:08 pm
Location: West Sussex.

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby Pete Jennings » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:14 am

Sud 145 wrote:How old are these tyres, I'm all for originality but not sure I'd want to drive them on the road. How would they fair if for some reason you were stopped by the police? Wouldn't a fail on 4 tyres = a ban? Just saying.

I possibly didn't make my self clear when I said for show use...... to be put on at a show....
As I said if you read my comments the 14" are and will remain the cars running wheels.
As far as I'm aware however currently there is no age limit on tyres.... and as they are still soft enough to be removed and refitted without breaking up and and if you have personally ever tried to fit a trx tyre yourself....As I have...... you will know they are very tight fit and need some stick to get them fitted...
I don't see why the police would have a problem... they are a old stock new set... so tread is like new and not perished.

But I TOTALLY AGREE , they are way too old to be trusted at speed, you would be mad to spend 4 or 5k restoring and repainting a classic and trust these tyres..... As I said previously it's more an excercise in having them for photos as car had them fitted 27 years ago when I bought it.
My original post was not asking about my tyres, I was mearly curious if anyone these days was buying them at £300 each new for their cars..... they are still available through longstone classic tyres from Michelin.. brand new.... but at 1200 quid a set...
So far it seems not lol.
Regards
Peter
Pete Jennings
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby Sud 145 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:14 pm

OK get where you're coming from now.
Sud 145
 
Posts: 1243
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:08 pm
Location: West Sussex.

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby KevJTD » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:00 pm

You can check the date on any tyre quite easily, if it's not clear on their condition.
All tyres have a date code on the sidewall.
If made in the 80's or 90's they have a 3 digit code, for example 237. That means the tyre was made on the 23 week of 1987. If it has a little triangle after the 7 that denotes it was made in the 90's so week 23 of 1997.
Once we got into the 2000's they changed to a 4 digit number such as 2302 which would be week 23 of 2002.

There is currently no stipulation on date for road use. as much as has been talked about for ages. MoT wise or Police. I can see the time coming where the MoT test requires a check for age but in reality the condition checks already in place should be enough..
Giulietta JTD 170
145 QV
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia 2000 Sedan X 2
Clio 172
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963


I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more
User avatar
KevJTD
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 pm
Location: Lincs

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby Pete Jennings » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:07 am

KevJTD wrote:You can check the date on any tyre quite easily, if it's not clear on their condition.
All tyres have a date code on the sidewall.
If made in the 80's or 90's they have a 3 digit code, for example 237. That means the tyre was made on the 23 week of 1987. If it has a little triangle after the 7 that denotes it was made in the 90's so week 23 of 1997.
Once we got into the 2000's they changed to a 4 digit number such as 2302 which would be week 23 of 2002.

There is currently no stipulation on date for road use. as much as has been talked about for ages. MoT wise or Police. I can see the time coming where the MoT test requires a check for age but in reality the condition checks already in place should be enough..
KevJTD wrote:You can check the date on any tyre quite easily, if it's not clear on their condition.
All tyres have a date code on the sidewall.
If made in the 80's or 90's they have a 3 digit code, for example 237. That means the tyre was made on the 23 week of 1987. If it has a little triangle after the 7 that denotes it was made in the 90's so week 23 of 1997.
Once we got into the 2000's they changed to a 4 digit number such as 2302 which would be week 23 of 2002.

There is currently no stipulation on date for road use. as much as has been talked about for ages. MoT wise or Police. I can see the time coming where the MoT test requires a check for age but in reality the condition checks already in place should be enough..

Now that is an interesting bit of info....... one of the wheels with tyre came from a friend of mine who had a sprint Green cloverleaf around 1994..... it was his spare... so it lived in his boot unused.... and he ended up with it again as spare in one of his Hf turbos..... I looked at the date..... 8th week 83.... which means when he bought it.....( he bought a set..... ) in 1994. So it was already 10 years old at time of purchase if my interpretation of the markings is correct.
As I say..... I'm not going to be driving on them... and as they have been removed and refitted without cracking up . Its not really possible to remove these gently..... they are very tight on the rims so as they survived the process, I would say they have aged well....
This post was supposed to be about the metric tyres and was anyone still using them ...... it would seem the answer is no...... at £300 each I'm not surprised....
The 185/60/14 wheels and tyres look loads better.... and £50 per tyre is much more acceptable.... as she now sits on four brand new pirelli's.
Cheers
Pete Jennings
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby KevJTD » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:59 pm

Yes, basically as in this picture the number 139 refers to the 13th week of 1999 being when the tyre was made. We know it to be the 90's with the little triangle after it, without that it'd be 13th week of 1989.
With the 4 digits on 200 onwards tyres it's easier, you know what decade it is. Cant see a 2001 tyre still being around in 3001 to confuse anybody :lol:
Attachments
90s dot number.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
145 QV
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia 2000 Sedan X 2
Clio 172
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963


I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more
User avatar
KevJTD
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 pm
Location: Lincs

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby alfadave » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:49 pm

In view of the cost of tyres,
My best advice to anyone with metric wheels, would be to weigh them in, and donate the proceeds to the Forum!
alfadave
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby KevJTD » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:20 pm

alfadave wrote:In view of the cost of tyres,
My best advice to anyone with metric wheels, would be to weigh them in, and donate the proceeds to the Forum!

:lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
145 QV
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia 2000 Sedan X 2
Clio 172
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963


I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more
User avatar
KevJTD
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 pm
Location: Lincs

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby Pete Jennings » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:21 am

Seems the only person with a set may well be me!!!
Pete Jennings
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby LooLooSud33Spider » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:37 am

I have three but I lent them to KevStaffs a while back to keep his car rolling. Two had very good tread but they were old tyres Don’t know if he still needs them as he’s stopped talking to me.
LooLooSud33Spider
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:14 pm
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby Mufasa » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:48 am

Interesting thread re tyre age.
Here in the Republic of Ireland, our MOT equivalent (NCT) gives an
advisory for tyres over 6 years old regardless of condition.
05 Alfa1662.0GrigioGeo-MiniProject
03Alfa1561.8Sportwagon-BluCosmo-DailyDriver
01Alfa1663.0Manual-Proteo Rosso
99Alfa1662.5V6GrigioNettuno-Track Car
84Alfasud1.5GoldCloverleafFlorentineCopper
User avatar
Mufasa
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Postby KevJTD » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:36 pm

Mufasa wrote:Interesting thread re tyre age.
Here in the Republic of Ireland, our MOT equivalent (NCT) gives an
advisory for tyres over 6 years old regardless of condition.

Kind of surprised there isn't anything like that here for the MoT, was talk of it some years back. nothing came of it. Wouldn't be hard to implement.
Giulietta JTD 170
145 QV
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia 2000 Sedan X 2
Clio 172
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963


I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more
User avatar
KevJTD
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 pm
Location: Lincs


Return to ALFASUD, SPRINT, 33

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests