1.2ti Gearbox

Marlow Sud

1.2ti Gearbox

Post by Marlow Sud »

I am looking for a good 1.2ti gearbox. Please get in contact if you have one. thank you.

alfasuddriver

Re: 1.2ti Gearbox

Post by alfasuddriver »

Marlow Sud wrote:I am looking for a good 1.2ti gearbox. Please get in contact if you have one. thank you.
Hi Simon, my friend may have one, I'll ask him and let you know,

Richard.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I may decide to sell mine too.

It was rebuilt by BLS prior to install in the track car, and it has covered way less than 100 miles!

2 boxer meet track days at cadwell park that both came to premature ends! Ooops! :)

I do have to suss out whether the lsd installed will swap out with my replacement gearbox first, but if thats the case, she'll be coming out and up for grabs.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Thanks for the replies. Richard and Shrew. I think my existing box may have a Quaife LSD in it as I have a bill in the file for the LSD being re-furbished so removal of an existing LSD may not be a problem?

I understand that sud gearboxes are generally considered a weak point (especially 2nd gear synchromesh) but are there things that can be done for them to last longer? Several things spring to mind:

1. Driving technique. Could I have made a major contribution to the demise of 2nd and 4th gears in my gearbox?
2. Oil. Is there a particular oil or additive your recommend?
3. Oil temp. Is a gearbox oil cooler recommended?
4. Inboard brakes. Surely there must be a great deal of heat transferred to the gearbox with inboard brakes?

Any comments gratefully received. I would definately be interested in your gearbox Shrew on the basis that it is a known quantity.

Brgds,
Simon

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I think the 2nd gear synchro is a combination of non too strong components, and the lively engines resulting in many a driver participating in the traffic light grand prix.

So, regular oil changes and sympathetic driving is just about all you can do i believe Simon.

My 33 16v had a terrible 2nd and none too clever 3rd, by 40k miles, yet I've had other cars, including my last sprint, well over 100k miles, still all original, gearbox untouched.

No rhyme or reason, theyre just not very good i fear! :(
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Thanks for the feedback and advice Shrew. I will look forward to opening the gearbox up and having a look at the components to see what has worn.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

No worries,

I hope you dont mind too much horror! :o

Very tired synchros and baulk rings are normally quite obvious, with sharp, lifted, uneven points to the teeth, and tarnishing sometimes i suspect when the hardenings long since faded away!

If you find yourself interested in my gearbox, let me know and I'll try to suss my replacement box out sooner rather than later mate :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Shrew,
I am definately interested in your gearbox.
I am not in a rush so can take it when you are ready. Just let me know. I will follow up from time to time.
In the mean time I will remove the other gearbox and take a peek inside. I will need to sort out whether it has the Quaife LSD.

All the best,
Simon

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Whilst you're there, check whether the diff is 8 or 10 bolt.

Speak soon

Shrew
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Will do.
One is a 1.2ti gearbox version and the other a 105 gearbox version?
Brgds,
Simon

88liam

Post by 88liam »

Hi Marlow,

Pretty sure you can determine whether or not your gearbox has a lsd or not
by selecting a gear and turning either input shaft (left or right) in
a clockwise direction if the other input shaft turns in a anti clockwise
direction there's no lsd in a clockwise there is,

Liam

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

Sud gearboxes used a 10 bolt crown wheel, 33's and later Sprints used a 8 bolt crown wheel, - are you looking specifically for a 1.2 ti gearbox, or any gearbox with a 4.11 final drive ?
John.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Liam,

Thanks for the tip for verifying whether an LSD is fitted.

Hi John,
Good point.
I am advised that the 1.2ti five speed box has the best gear ratios for high revving race engines and that the later 1.5ti 5th gear is effectively an overdrive?

Best Regards,
Simon

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Now up for grabs simon in the classifieds if you want it?

competition is fierce already! :shock:
SHREW

I AM the Law!