8 bolt, 4.1 final drive

rsfruitbat

8 bolt, 4.1 final drive

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi all
Crown wheel and pinion evangelist commonly fitted to the 1200to but maybe others???
On the crown wheel edge it will have 9\37 stamped
Worst case just the pinion gear needed.
Would consider a complete gearbox but don't really want to break good complete boxes.
PM me if you have something

Rsfruitbat

Spacenut

Re: 8 bolt, 4.1 final drive

Post by Spacenut »

Hi Fruity - yes, the 4.11 final drive was definitely fitted to other models, 1.2 Ti and 1.3 model Alfasuds, also 1.3 Alfa 33s I believe.

I am trying to remember what final drive is fitted in my old Gold Cloverleaf gearbox. I asked Alex Jupe to rebuild my 1.5 Ti box but the speedo drive had corroded into the casing which was damaged beyond repair in an attempt to extract it. Alex sourced the GQ box to replace it, and was going to transfer all of my old ratios into it, including the 3.889 final drive, but I think the GQ had a 4.11 in it and I foolishly thought I had the hot setup. It was only later I discovered that all of the intermediate gears were far longer than the 1.5 Ti, so even with the low final drive the overall gearing was even higher (not lower) than the 1.5 Ti gearbox :cry:

I need to check my analysis files to make sure that it doesn't have the 3.889 in it, but if it is confirmed as a 4.11 you are welcome to have the whole gearbox. It used to jump out of 3rd gear but if you only need the final drive (or other spares) it shouldn't be a problem. Give me a day or so to interrogate my old hard drive and I will get back to you.

Lauren

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

That would be great. Thanks Lauren

Rsfruitbat

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Hi Fruity - OK, I have checked my analysis and that shows that I assumed my old final drive was a 4.11, but it looks like that was based purely on deduction from the Haynes manual. I will have to inspect the gearbox itself to be certain.

I don't want to get your hopes up, it could be a 3.889 :(

Lauren

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi Lauren
Unfortunately the only way I've found to tell for sure is to check what is stamped on the crownwheel. I appreciate your looking though.

Regards Rsfruitbat