1.7 engine

alfadave

1.7 engine

Post by alfadave »

Interesting ad for 1.7 engine on Ebay 224149358924

Seems a bit of a mix up of photos, but the last one looks different?

KevJTD

Re: 1.7 engine

Post by KevJTD »

Last one is a watercooled VW engine, like the beetle unit but obviously not air cooled, mostly to be found in the T25 transporter I believe...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

I thought the dissy was in the wrong place!

I must admit, I didn't know VW did a water cooled version of the flat 4.

Must have taken quite a bit of re engineering?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Yes, I think it only ever went in the Transporter van/camper T25 which was the squarer looking camper after the bay window T2 and before they moved the engine to the front for the T4 onwards (was there a T3?, can't recall now....)
I don't think it had anything much in common with the air-cooled version other than the layout/mounts/bell-housing which allowed the air-cooled gearbox etc to be used, maybe Lou knows more.
I do recall from my painfully short (painful for the time there, not painful to leave) that they were a pig to bleed with the radiator right at the front of the van with the top of the rad way higher than the engine so getting air expelled wasn't easy. They overheated for fun :? , rattled like hell despite having hydraulic tappets, heater was as useless as the air-cooled stuff but at least without the air being drawn from around the engine it didn't stink of burning oil, still about as quick as walking but at least kept you dry if it rained, apart from when trying to get them going again if you dared to embark on a journey and, silly you, expect to get there without breaking down!

Do I hate VW campervans? Yes! For all the reasons above, mechanically flawed in every way, slow, draughty, noisy, unreliable, smelly, leaky, waiting to leave you stranded pieces of crap. I refer to all air-cooled Beetles, all Transporters prior to the T4 which I actually thought wasn't a bad alternative to a Transit van but seemed to be seen as a poor mans VW, go figure! Please, please don't tell me the split screen T2 is a good van....what a turd, absolutely overhyped piece of garden furniture. I really can't see why they have any appeal outside of people who don't know what a piece of automotive machinery should drive like.

Rant over...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Thank you for me making me laugh Kev
That little monologue was worthy of Clarkson.

Kev. - my hero :D

Rsfruitbat

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Ruddy 'ell Kev,
Calm down !! :lol:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Gives me the shivers just thinking about them :D
What I meant to say about the flawed cooling system design, but got lost mid rant was that the issue wasn't so much the radiator being 15 feet away from the engine and 3 feet higher up, just that the expansion bottle was sat behind the rear number plate, just above engine height but of course way below the radiator level....basic laws of physics ought to have kicked in before that idea got signed off..there's a reason why an expansion bottle needs to be high up, it's where the air gets expelled to! hard to do that when you're below water level :roll:
Oh I do so despise them :twisted:

Glad it all made you guys smile :lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Crank

Post by Crank »

I bought a split screen camper van once as it was cheep and I thought it might come in useful when I was still single and living at home. You forgot to mention the challenge of driving on the motorway in a crosswind. The combination of slab sides, engine behind the rear wheels, swing axles, bouncy front suspension, worm and roller steering, together with sitting over the front wheels made it a stimulating experience.
1976 1.5Ti
1977 1.2Ti
1989 1.7 Sprint Veloce
1989 75TS
2003 147 2.0TS Lusso
2004 MX5 1.8S
2002 1.6 Focus LX

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

I’ve kept my gob shut in this so far but I I can’t hold my tongue any longer so here goes. Air cooled VWs are all TOTAL piles of sh*t !!! I had a 1300 beetle when I was 17. I rebuilt the engine and fitted 1600 barrels and pistons. But it was still a massive dogs egg of a car. I spent far too much money on it and when it was done it was still just a big turd but it was a shiny turd . And another thing I don’t understand is the whole “rat look” thing the VW scene seem to have grabbed that ball and have well and truly run off with it . Is it because I’m getting old
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

I got behind a VW Camper, leaving the campsite we go to in Wales.

Couldn't believe how he pulled away (from my Sud!)

Spoke to him later, when he got back. He had a Subaru engine in it!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Nice to hear I'm not alone in "dub" despisal... :lol:

Agree with all above, some points re the roadholding, or lack of, that I'd forgotten to add so well said :D

Thought I was in for a rollocking off Lou but she agrees! 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Same here, piles of crap, slow, sound shite, look shite.........crap and more crap.

I’d love a golf gti mk1, but the beetles and campers are .......crap. :D

Karman Ghia is a nice shape but same crap running gear.