S2 1980 4door Sud Super

rsfruitbat

S2 1980 4door Sud Super

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi all
Trying to decide which way to go with this car.
It hasn't been on the road in about 20yrs and has only done about 25000 miles from new with some MOT history to support this. It's had one owner from new until early last year. It was sold to a friend who planned to get it going again. That didn't work out and now I have it.
From what I can figure out the car was a toy for its first owner and has some unique modifications. At some point in its history it has had panels replaced, any rot cut out and replaced / strengthened and a respray. The shell appears to be very strong and you can use all the jacking points and still open doors. I put the car on ramps and jacked it on the towing eye on the front Xmember and you could still open doors etc. However the bodywork isn't particularly pretty having several marks, dents and scratches. Where I have tried polishing the car the paint has come up well. The interior is also non standard and I think a 33 seats may have been fitted so nice and comfy but not original
The question is what do I do with it now. It needs to be made roadworthy but I could do this various ways. Originally it had a 1350 but currently has a 1712. Engine turns over by hand but it has an intermittent sticking valve so will have to come out and be sorted. But what do I put back in?
I have a standard 1350 or a tuned 1490, maybe a tuned 1598 or rebuild the 1712????
I don't think I will keep the car so what do people want?
If you are interested I could sell it as it currently stands or build it to your spec.
I would call this a practical classic. It would be hard but not impossible to make it concours but the way it is you wouldn't worry about leaving it in a car park so a lot more practical.

Love to hear your thoughts on which way to go with it or if you are interested in buying it PM me and make me an offer.
Regards rsfruitbat

alfadave

Re: S2 1980 4door Sud Super

Post by alfadave »

I would put the 1350 in. Get the clutch working.

Keep the 1712......very desirable engine.

Not sure where you are......but shift it to Matthewsons and watch the mad bidding take place!

Let someone else sort the brakes/suspension/tyres etc.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I think it would more desirable hence valuable If all std, but I reckon it would sell for a sensible price irrespective if solid and mostly rot free. More people can tinker with seats and engine swaps than can weld rot and restore body work.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

As said, the most desireable and profitable way is back to original, but if it's to be used as a daily then the 1.7 8V is a great unit and still retains all the original features.
Maybe post some pics and ideas on price to tempt somone 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Kev has kindly said he will put a couple of pictures of the Sud on for me. They are pictures of pictures so we will have to have see if the quality is ok.
Regarding prices it's how long is a piece of string? What I would prefer is If someone is interested please come and take a look and see where it goes from there. If anyone does want come and take a look im in the midlands, kidderminster, DY10.
I've been underneath it a fair bit and I haven't found anything that would cause a concern. Some surface rust and that's about it.
The way I am looking at it is the more time effort and money I put into it then the more I am going to want for it. I don't want it broke for bits as the shell is way too good. This would make a really usable car.
If someone is interested in completing its recommissioning then without engine,gearbox and exhaust I think it's worth £2500
If you wanted it running with a 1350 single carb then we are talking £3500.
As I've said there's a wide variety of engines gearboxes and suspension but it depends on what someone wants.
Hope that gives you all an idea.
If all else fails.......
Derek here she comes!!!!!

Rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

The pics that drew Ade in, indeed it does look good!
Attachments
IMG-20230126-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230126-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20230126-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230126-WA0001.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Some close ups of the micro blisters in the paint which spoil it, as Ade says it's a good 10 yard car.
My own views is that if it's as solid as mentioned (no reason to doubt the word of the man 8-)) then it's an ideal car to start with that could be made into a real nice car for shows or just tidy it a bit and have a solid, usable car.
Rust is an expensive game to sort so even if you find a car for a bit less then any savings would soon be swallowed up in welding repairs.
An even cheaper project as a rolling shell of anyone fancies a relatively simple car to do up.
Attachments
IMG-20230126-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20230126-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20230126-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20230126-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20230126-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20230126-WA0005.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Thanks Kev

junior

Post by junior »

Looking at how straight it seems to be is in not worth fixing the valve and selling it as it is ?

That would be my way of going about it, but i am not as mechanical as many of you. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

junior wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:53 pm
Looking at how straight it seems to be is in not worth fixing the valve and selling it as it is ?

That would be my way of going about it, but i am not as mechanical as many of you. :D
I think that is Ades' plan mate, either the 1.7 with the sticky valve or the 1350 original style motor is getting readied, from what I gather, not that I'm in any way determining which way it goes! But I do agree in that a runner gets a wider audience, but also that it raises the price needed to be regained. But yes, not everyone wants to get stuck into a project, but some do.

It does look a great candidate to save though.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Bang on Kev.
Just trying to keep options open for any potential new owner.
In the meantime I will just trundle on.

Rsfruitbat

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I think there’s a good chance it would sell quick and easy on car and classic as it is.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi all.
I thought I would update on what's been done since I got the car.
As discussed previous original plan was soon blown out of the water.
Over the last 2 months all of the suspension has been removed, taken back to have metal, any rust dealt with, kurusted, zinc primered and then a coup!e of costs of satin black. Dear brake callers professionally refurbished. Suspension mounting points all had the same treatment as the suspension components. Any rust found dealt with. All waxoyled or stone chipped underneath.
Radiator refurbished. Front calipers rebuilt. New co
Clutch master cylinder and slave replaced. Brake master cylinder and servo professionally refurbished.
Didn't like the finish in the engine bay so took it back to bare metal. Did the rust etc and resprayed the engine bay. After seeing how well that turned out have started stripping the battery, heater box master cylinder cubby hole to repeat that.
Hopefully before long I can stop taking bits off and start rebuilding.
Rsfruitbat