South African built Alfasud Giardinetta (RHD) for sale

Alfa_Japan

South African built Alfasud Giardinetta (RHD) for sale

Post by Alfa_Japan »

A gentleman from South Africa got his hands on a Brits made Alfasud Giardinetta (RHD). He is looking for a sale and perhaps some people on the board might be interested as this one is running and for sure salvage-able if you want factory original spec. or just a driver if you don't mind factory original spec. The seller will appear here soon, this is just a heads up. The batch of South African built Giardinetta's that was imported by Lyles Automotive in Newcastle in the early eighties have all gone but one which is in abominable condition. This is a great opportunity for a UK enthousiast who wants to have one of these rare Suds.

The cars comes with its original 1.5 engine (only South African Giardinetta's had this engine), ignition key, door key. The car is running and the seller can support in arranging sea shipment to the UK. I've heard the price he's looking for and this is a rare opportunity in my opinion.

Cheers
Last edited by Alfa_Japan on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Registro Alfasud Giardinetta internazionale (R.A.G.i.)
http://www.alfasud-giardinetta.net/

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: South African built Alfasud Giardinetta (RHD) for sale

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi AJ. I’d Look forward to hearing and seeing more details.
Lou
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Alfa_Japan

Post by Alfa_Japan »

The seller has to become a member of this board first so that might take a day or so. Of course I'm biased when it comes to the Alfasud Giardinetta topic, but this is really a good chance to get one on the road in the UK as Lyles intended back in the early eighties.

If you want factory original spec you will have some work, but that seems manage-able (1. replacing third series plastic bumpers with readily available and affordable first series chrome bumpers, 2. ad the third series black plastic hub-caps on the steel wheels and 3. replacing Ti headlights with square headlights). If you want to go completely original other details such as the South African unique stickers over the side have to be added, the body side trim needs to be added and the body colour has been changed from the original lovely blue to yellow. Luckily the original body colour is remaining underneath the carpet to get a proper colour sample for respraying. For the interior I haven't been able to gather sufficient evidence of the original SA spec. The 2nd series dashboard is correct, but the Ti dials in the centre section are not. Since the body is in pretty good nick this is a rare opportunity.

This is the first South African Giardinetta I've encountered throughout the years which still features its English/Afrikaans engine bay tag. That detail in itself made my week into a pretty good one.

Alfa_Japan

Post by Alfa_Japan »

The current owner sold the car to a new owner South Africa. Too bad, because I would have loved to have the opportunity to see a SA built one in real life once. The chances on that with a vehicle located in the UK are for sure significantly bigger than in SA. Anyway just wanted to mention it's sold and this thread can be "closed".