So who bought this for £6k?

Sud 145

So who bought this for £6k?

Post by Sud 145 »

junior

Re: So who bought this for £6k?

Post by junior »

Love the comment that it probably has never been over 70mph.

Bet it did more than that every time it had a mechanic road test it ! :D

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

yeah

in second! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Wasn't me Tony. :mrgreen:

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

It's got a wierd badge on the back that i've never seen before. Anyone enlighten me.

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

Alfasuds were built in Brits South Africa from CKD (Complete Knock Down) kits imported from the factory in Italy. Interestingly, they were never badged as Alfasuds but carried other names such as the Alfa Romeo Export or Super as you see here.

They differ from Italian-built ones in that under a Trade agreement at the time of their construction in SA, a large percentage of parts and components had to be locally made and sourced to be fitted on the production line hence you see slightly differing interior trim, steering wheels, dashboard and upholstery to European models.

Even the paint used would have been manufactured in SA and different to the Italian factory's standard colour range.

The boxer engines fitted as standard differed too with the majority of SA cars having the 1490cc version either with a single twin-choke carburettor giving 85bhp or the twin dual choke carbs giving 105bhp.

None of the SA produced cars had twin round front headlights so even though this particular car is effectively a five door Ti, it wouldn't have had them hence you see the single oblong ones with integrated indicators on the eBay car.

SA-built cars were right hand drive so can be driven OK in GB but you'll find that the speedometer will be marked in kilometres per hour.

Alfasuds were also built from CKD kits in Malaysia and Malta as well as South Africa to suit local markets.

I'll get me anorak....

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Keep your anorak on Colin and i will wait and read your book.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Sud 145 wrote:Keep your anorak on Colin and i will wait and read your book.

be nice to see VJM again :)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Alfa_Japan

Post by Alfa_Japan »

Don't forget about the Sud Giardinetta which was also made in the South African Alfa factory in Brits. Also the Giardinetta was marketed under a different name as anywhere else in the world. It was called the Speedwagon with a rear bench and without a rear bench (for tax reasons) it was called the Panel Van. Especially the latter name is really odd, because it wasn't really a panel van, but a "normal" Giardinetta without rear bench and net to separate the driver and passenger from the luggage. The Giardinetta was built in 1982 and 1983 when in Europe the production was already halted in 1980.

As mentioned earlier for the 5-door version also the Giardinetta was significantly different from the Italian made cars. The bumpers were series 1 Sud, the dashboard was series 2 Sud, the door and side plastic side trim was series 3 Sud, the wheels and hub caps were series 3 Sud and the body colours were completely different from Italy. Nice story the South African Sud story. Most people who actually expereinced this interesting era are disappearing :cry: hopefully some South African enthusiasts can document something before it's completely lost. The archives of the factory are lost so I've heard.
Registro Alfasud Giardinetta internazionale (R.A.G.i.)
http://www.alfasud-giardinetta.net/

jobeed

Post by jobeed »

And this didn't sell for the same price. Or did it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162264820019

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

:o :?: ;) :roll: :!:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

jobeed

Post by jobeed »

I really liked it.