Alfa Championship at Cadwell 18/19 July

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
BS25

Alfa Championship at Cadwell 18/19 July

Post by BS25 »

Hi All,

The next round of the Alfa Championship is at Cadwell Park next weekend, with racing on both Saturday and Sunday. The modified entry is very good, my 33 will be joined by Chris Snowdon's similar car - we have the following for company - 147 Cup car, 156 3.8 V6, 147 3.8 V6, GTV 3.2 V6 supercharged, 156 3.2 V6 and a 156 1750 turbo. That's a very strong modified entry for Cadwell, in addition there are 15 cars entered in the Production class.

Here's all the information:-

http://alfaracer.com/events/cadwell-park-2015/

As most of you know, Cadwell is a great venue - for both driving and spectating. If you go please come and say hello :)

markalfa83

Re: Alfa Championship at Cadwell 18/19 July

Post by markalfa83 »

Will be there :)

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

This should be a fantastic meet, fingers crossed for decent weather , not least because I'm camping it for the weekend, but with that company in the modified class, you'll be needing some track temperature eh Bryan!

I look forward to this meet very very much, Cadwell is just such a good place, and i hope as many members as possible can come along and support the BLS effort, and Chris Snowdon too, as these are the best na developped boxer engined cars in the uk i reckon,

Got to stick it to em!

And Cadwell is a prime opportunity for the 33's to shine! :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

glad the sat race isn't too early, i'll be at work in the morning so should make it up in good time.
rob will be coming on sunday too.
see you all up there,

be careful about saying you're camping it up all weekend shrew mate :lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Ha ha! Yeah i should be more careful mate, ta!

See you there then mate,

Coming in the Sud? :)
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

petrolhead wrote:Ha ha! Yeah i should be more careful mate, ta!

See you there then mate,

Coming in the Sud? :)

never thought of that.....may well do on saturday.
rob likes to take his pushbike now so we need the towbar for the bike rack so 147 on sunday i guess...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

that could work then eh :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Roch 1490

Post by Roch 1490 »

Hi Shrew, I have sent you a pair of tickets for Cadwell this weekend hope they are of use.Looks like a great entry especially the Modified Class,would love to be out in Big Yella!! :D Hope you all have a good weekend.
Cheers Ian.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi Ian

Many many thanks, i'll make sure they are put to good use :P

That would have been great to see you out there mate, it sounds like a great grid so far, and a 164 would have almost completed the variety!

When are you next out in her Ian?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Got Saturday off work so I will come up to watch. Looks like a good meet.
Is there just the one entrance and parking area? I want to see Kev's little gem. :D

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

If i know this correctly keith, kev will be at cadwell in the 33 on Saturday, and possibly the sud on sunday,

So you might miss each other unless things change or im wrong,

Which is more than possible! Lol! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cheers Shrew, I will pm him, but will be good to catch up with you if possible as well.
I will bring my "sudsuma" but can do either day. :D

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Ok, so i'll try to keep this punchy and brief, but there's so much to write about!

As usual, I collected the BLS 33, and we headed up to Cadwell Park on Friday afternoon, setting up shop for the evening.

Signing on and scrutineering was a little after 9am, so no need for the cockrel, and as Tom always turns out the best car in the paddock, there is never any drama at this inspection of car and kit, unless you get an unfamiliar newbie or jobsworth, but niot the case here so that was the usual breeze.

On to qualifying, now this is critical at Cadwell due to the lack of track width over much of the circuit, passing has to be a very well thought out and perfectly executed manouvre with a lot of conviction or it will likely end in tears, so qualifying well is paramount to ensure a healthy grid position, and as few cars to pass as possible, sounds common sense doesn't it, but with such a mix of cars, power and performance in the Alfashop Championship, it's never quite that straight forward.

Bryan left the paddock early to get on track to set some good times before the traffic built up, and all was going well. The Hankooks warming up pretty well, the times were in heading in the right direction, and then when on a predicted flyer of a lap, Bryan was thwarted by one of the twin spark series (formerly class e) cars, and the session finished with a 4th on the grid achieved.

That sounds respectable enough, some would even say great, but what it also meant was that ahead and alongside Bryan would be Chris Snowdon in the other 2.0l 33, and then two big powered V6's of Roger Evans 147 GTA and Grahame Seagers GTV, and that's 3 cars that can and will be giving it hell for leather from lights out, and not forgetting the emerald effort of the Macmahons with 156 Turbo and 147 Cup cars, and Andy Robinsons 156 GTA to push hard form behind too!

This was to prove as suspected, a real indicator as to how race 1 would pan out.

A good start by everyone meant there was only little change from grid position within the first lap or so, and the mixtures of cars and powers was to prove itself the real deciding factor. Grahame Seager getting the GTV in front and managing to stay there by being as wide as possible and best use of the straight line grunt of the big powered V6.

There was some ding donging of course, but it wasn't proving decisive, and Bryan did correctly by not getting overly involved in what was starting to look ragged and desperate at times as the attempts to pressure to the front kept on being applied. Instead, Bryan showed what should have been happening from the off, and did the fastest lap of the race, a 1.40:052 which went a long way to prove how frustrating the early race laps of 1.45's were and how tricky Cadwell can be like this achieving 4th by the flag.

Sunday mornings arrival brought a real mixed bag of weather, not untypical of the Lincolnshire countryside and contours., you just don't know what you might get blow in, blow out, or be left hanging over the valley'd arena of Cadwell Park, but eventually it was to prove to be a dry track and race.

The repeated grid position would prove to be just as decisive for the races progress again, but everyone safely away, it soon started to hot up as the leaders showed their determination not to simply repeat saturdays final standings.

Chris Snowdon was the first to charge hard enough and make it stick, then it was reversed and the lead regained by Grahame Seager, who then lost out to both Chris Snowdon and Roger Evans in one section, it was looking like a great race, but again Bryans wisdom was to keep applying the pressure whilst the scrap ensued just ahead of him. Again this sort of racing wasn't producing the best lap times, and this meant that Andy Robinson and the previously charging Roger Macmahon were able to steadily haul the leading 4 back into sight.

Bryan responded by again taking fastest lap honours, this time a 1.40:042, and closed up again just in time to see the cracks appear in the leading trio's battle plan, and before we knew it, the tannoy announced that all four of the front bunch were taking to the grass and off circuit! :o

Started i believe by a coming together of Chris Snowdon and Roger Evans at Coppice / Charlies 1 area, a very very fast sweep uphill left into multi apexed cresting right and descent, it was to be the deciding factor, and it was a case of survival from then on.

Bryan's earlier decision not to get swapping paint with the 3 ahead meant that although he also took to the grass whilst taking evasive action, he did it with just enough foresight and intention that he wasn't heading out of Lincolnshire, and could rejoin the circuit a tad quicker than Grahame Seager did, Chris Snowdon attempted too only to find himself back off again with broken steering components, and Roger stayed put i believe, and so Bryan brought the BLS 33 across the line first, Grahame Seager a lonely second and Andy Robinson making the 3rd podium place his own.

Its not how we would have planned it, but in fairness, we deserved it, and proved that in both race 1 and 2 Bryan was the fastest out there, and quite rightly earnt himself Driver of the Weekend trophy on top of 4th and 1st accolades respectively :P

My little man Jixxer, a huge BLS fan requested that he share some glory, which Bryan graciously obliged,
2015-07-19 12.18.14.jpg

and then to top it off Jixxer was also gifted the 1st place Laurels! :D

Thank you Bryan, incredibly genorous of you, but he did look rather odd trying to introduce it into his school uniform this morning! :lol:

2015-07-19 12.24.44.jpg

Sadly the excursion off track left the BLS 33 needing a windscreen and some repairs to the front splitter, but hopefully i have the contacts to make some of that as painless as possible, and Tom will undoubtedly sort the rest out to his inimitable standard as usual, maybe even improving it a little for the future?

Not only did Jixxer get a good treat this weekend, so did the whole Cadwell crowd, and not just from the track antics either, because look what they had to survey in the car park :shock:

2015-07-18 14.13.13.jpg
2015-07-18 14.12.16.jpg

I don't think that's happened at an Alfashop meeting for a while!

well done fella's, and thanks again BLS, plus many thanks to Ian Brookfield for the extra tickets, that were put to great use both days thank you Ian, hopefully we'll see you and the 164 out there again soon :)
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Thanks for the great write up Shrew, and well done Bryan and team for your results.
Top weekend. 8-)

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Thanks for the write up Shrew! It was great to see the 1.2 Ti's of Keith and Kev parked together on the Saturday, they rightfully drew a great deal of attention :)

As per Shrew's write up, I had a frustrating weekend - but ultimately ended with a good result on Sunday. We had the pace to win both races - if we'd started from the front row. Being baulked in qualifying relegated me to the second row and unable to get cleanly past the big V6 engined cars in the first race - whilst being held up in sections of the track left me vulnerable to attack from behind and I fell from 2nd to 4th. On the penultimate lap I held back bit to have a shot at getting fastest lap - which I did so that proved my point about being the quickest out there but unable to get to the front. The second race saw me held back in 5th for several laps by a 147 Challenge car (very good chassis but lacking outright speed). It was deja vu from race one - once past him I got onto the tail of the leading trio (again recording fastest lap despite catching the car in front and having to follow him through the Hall Bends) and there was once again 1.9 seconds covering 4 of us. As you can see from the video, when the leading pair clashed I avoided the 147 by the smallest margin (the grass was wet and any big steering input would have seen me spinning) and got back up to speed quickly and in 1st place. From there it was just a case of completing the last lap without any issues.

Looking at the data logging afterwards, my best lap time using combined sectors was 1.38.6, though due to traffic my best recorded was 1.40.0. I have no doubt that we can go well below 1.38's - especially with more suitable tyres. It was also our 6th win at Cadwell in the last 8 races!

Here's the video from Race 2 (the camera battery died prior to Race 1) - not sure why it doesn't start at the beginning, just move it back manually for the start:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d9XA484s9o
Last edited by BS25 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Thanks for the video link Bryan.
You can see and feel the frustration with being held up by the GTA. As your times prove.
I think it is great that the two boxer engine cars can still out pace the bigger cars. 8-)
Hope to try and get to a few more meets, but thanks , once again for posting your footage.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Great footage Bryan,

proves everything you said about the lap times, and shows why you got Driver Award too.

Well done again,

Boxers Rule! :P :D :lol: :mrgreen:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Great video to watch. Fantastic driving and very well done for avoiding the spinners by taking to the grass (18min in)
Thanks Bryan very inspiring for us newbies.

All the best,
Simon

Oxfordshire driver

Post by Oxfordshire driver »

Excellent video!
I winced waiting for the thud on the back of your 33 when you had to navigate the carnage but it never materialised. Just shows you that talent wins the day!
Great write-up Shrew.

All the best
Malcolm