Castle Combe 4th May

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
KevJTD

Re: Castle Combe 4th May

Post by KevJTD »

just watched the motorstv coverage, looks like a great and varied raceday.
ted did well in his FF1600.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Hi All,

Not a bad day but annoyingly could (should) have been so much better.

Qualifying: did two laps and then Red flag. Out again and then plug lead came adrift! Then two/three more laps. Qualified 5th so not too bad.

Race 1: Finished warm up lap and marshall ran over with water cap shouting that it was mine. I said put it back on and he said he wasn't allowed. I then said throw it in the pit lane and I'll stop at end of lap and have it fitted and he said he couldn't let me start. So I had to retire a perfectly healthy car before the start. I wasn't happy as anyone who was within 100 yards will have noticed (and probably learnt some new Anglo-Saxon).

Race 2: Started flat last and had a great fun getting up to 5th until 2 laps from the end when I fluffed a gearchange and went own to 6th. Last corner was eventful as the chap in 3rd lost all power mid corner and nearly got collected by everyone behind him!

What pleased me was that I had 2nd fastest race lap which (arrogantly) is where I should be at the moment.

So, if (if if if!!) I had qualified where I should have been -2nd, it would have been a better day.

Brands Hatch Grand Prix Masters in 2 weeks time - another Scholar engine coming - so aiming for a podium.

Ted

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Ted, sorry you had the problems in race one, but race two was really entertaining. Couldn't believe how quick you got through the grid !!
Have to say, I didn't know of a Crossel FF but it is a lovely shaped car and a great colour scheme....... Oh and goes very well. 8-)
All the best for your next meet.
Keith.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

i did wonder what had happened ted, the commentators on tv hinted at something gone on.....common sense thrown right out the window again in this namby pamby pc gone mad world we live in.
can't blame the marshall i guess as they're only follwoing guidelines but ffs, talk about spoiling someones day.

hope you are still planning on entering the wolds trophy? rob & me are looking forward to seeing the close action around cadwell ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Veesix75 wrote:Great videos.

Less heavy metal and just plain old engine metal as the soundtrack please.

The black moggy minor looked to be on a kamikaze mission :shock:
Hi Tim,
Herewith the video with the natural sound track, just for you.
https://vimeo.com/127308421?from=outro-local

All the best
Simon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Thanks.

The Trofeo sounds lovely, both inside and the exhaust note coming past the pits.

Good recovery on the spins!

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Tim,
When do you think your Sprint will race ready?
Looking forward to you being back on the track.
All the best,
Simon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I'm testing the sprint next week at donington - fingers crossed.

Problem is I can't get to Mallory and I fly into gatwick on the Saturday morning of the donington event. Bad planning all round .

I'm going to see if the ctcrc will allow me to join the back of the grid on the Sunday race as no doubt qualifying and first race will be Saturday.

Roch 1490

Post by Roch 1490 »

Hi Guys sorry for not joining in on all the chatter from Castle Combe, messed up my login details!!
Castle Combe was fantastic a million miles away from the dour unfriendly Silverstone.With a Trofeo Sud entered I have to say I was up for it!really enjoyed quali very happy with 11th out of 27 although the man waving the chequered flag at the end was just holding it limply when I came round so I thought I had another lap which I spent dodging at speed several slow cars including a Lotus Cortina which I had to pass on the grass at the 2nd chicane between him & the marshalls post!! whats the matter with these people I thought :roll: when I got back to the paddock I was told yes that was your fastest lap & yes it was the slowing down lap!! :oops: Needless to say a trip to Race Control followed!
I got a good start in the 1st race,it really is good fun racing against Lotus Cortinas I don't know why GTA Bertones have so much trouble with them :o (I'm joking) all was going well until lap 3 when I lost 4th gear,it wasn't too bad apart from slowing car down over Avon Rise & having to use 3rd for Camp which made me slow onto start/finish straight,happy to finish 11th.Race 2 was the usual rain,I thought I saw Malcolm in an Indian costume dancing around about 4pm :D I tried to overtake as many as I could & had great fun trying to get past the Jag XJ12 which I did on the last lap.Hats off to Malcolm 6th overall & class winner me 8th & a creditable 13th for Simon in the Trofeo,good showing from the Alfas :D :D
Sadly I won't be out at Mallory Park :( I LOVE Mallory.... Need to rebuild gearbox & maybe find some more power....See you at Brands oh I LOVE Brands Indy :)
Cheers
Ian.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Nice write up Ian, It was fun to watch as well.
Glad you all had fun, It is nice seeing some Alfas in the mix. Looking forward to seeing Tim's Sprint and Chris's Sud sc joining you all on the grid.
Thanks.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Ian,
Great write up and congratulations on some great results. You did a fantastic job, especially when you lost fourth. Malcolm started rain dancing earlier in the week!
All the best,
Simon

Simonsud

Post by Simonsud »

Ted27sud wrote:Hi All,

Not a bad day but annoyingly could (should) have been so much better.

Qualifying: did two laps and then Red flag. Out again and then plug lead came adrift! Then two/three more laps. Qualified 5th so not too bad.

Race 1: Finished warm up lap and marshall ran over with water cap shouting that it was mine. I said put it back on and he said he wasn't allowed. I then said throw it in the pit lane and I'll stop at end of lap and have it fitted and he said he couldn't let me start. So I had to retire a perfectly healthy car before the start. I wasn't happy as anyone who was within 100 yards will have noticed (and probably learnt some new Anglo-Saxon).

Race 2: Started flat last and had a great fun getting up to 5th until 2 laps from the end when I fluffed a gearchange and went own to 6th. Last corner was eventful as the chap in 3rd lost all power mid corner and nearly got collected by everyone behind him!

What pleased me was that I had 2nd fastest race lap which (arrogantly) is where I should be at the moment.

So, if (if if if!!) I had qualified where I should have been -2nd, it would have been a better day.

Brands Hatch Grand Prix Masters in 2 weeks time - another Scholar engine coming - so aiming for a podium.

Ted
Was at brands today saw your car in the pits but didn't see you around . was good to see f1 cars at brands which was a first for me and good memory's seeing 90s touring cars as I used to go to all the brands rounds of early to late 90 British touring cars used to go in the Sud !!!

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Shame we didn't meet up. It was a great meeting topped off by me getting two 3rd places in the Formula For races. Really good fun.
Sadly, fell off Motocross bike yesterday and knackered my shoulder so now in a sling. Fracture clinic Friday. meant to be at Donington a week Sunday, the 7th, but all a bit up in the air.....a bit like my KX 250 wheels yesterday!!
Cheers, Ted

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

All the best for a speedy recovery Ted. Hope there is no fracture. :roll:

Simonsud

Post by Simonsud »

Hope shoulders not to bad I come of my mountain bike last year over the bars and landed head then shoulder on to rocks docter thought I'd broken collar bone a&e thought the same but luckily X-ray all ok hope you have the same luck. I've only got off road bikes now ,kids and wife have banned me from sports bikes after my last off . Nice plate on your merc may be one day you will take you Sud to brands I only live an hour south so would love to see Sud used in anger round brands

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Just seen this video:

It's Stuart Caie battling in the wet in a very powerful Capri and the cheeky little Suds scampering past at various times.

We wouldn't see Stuart for dust in the dry.

Malcolm Sprint 1:19
Ian Sud 4:45
Simon Sud 14:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXT2S5Ftlo&sns=em

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Good clip Simon. I forgot how wet that day got.
It started ok then just went down hill. :D
Attachments
SL374377.JPG

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Keith,
I remember spinning in the wet, totally un-aided. My excuse was that the front shocks were spewing out oil. It was all sprayed underneath the car and the near side rear wheel had flung it round the wheel arch so it was streaking out of the gap between the wheel arch and the bodywork -honest ;) No excuses for next year with lovely new Leda shocks.
Brgds
Simon

PS Malcolm is still eating salads so he can go faster!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Yeah but it still wont sound as good! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon