CTCRC Race Car Suspension Setup

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
Jube

CTCRC Race Car Suspension Setup

Post by Jube »

Hi Chaps, I'm hoping that people running their cars in the CTCRC Pre-83 Series won't mind sharing their suspension setups please.

The Regulations state the following:

5.8 Suspension:
5.8.1 General
Suspension type as fitted by the manufacturer must remain unaltered.
5.8.2 Suspension Components
a. With the exception of springs, Championship Regulation 5.8.5 , shock absorbers, Championship Regulation
5.8.6, anti roll bars, Championship Regulation 5.8.7 and suspension bushes, Championship Regulation 5.8.8
the original suspension components (or pattern parts to the manufacturer’s original specification) must be
employed in their original positions.

What Shocks/Coilovers, Springs and Rates, Anti-roll bars, Polyurethane Bushes and Front/Rear Camber settings (for both Fast and Twisty Circuits) are people running on their Suds/Sprints please?

Lots of potential information to divulge I know but any snippets of detail would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all in advance.

Veesix75

Re: CTCRC Race Car Suspension Setup

Post by Veesix75 »

I will have to read the CTCRC regs again Julian but in general and like most things race related it depends how deep your pockets are.

Bryan will probably be good enough to post some thoughts and experiences of his, but you don't have to go over the top to get a Sud to handle well on the standard suspension components. All mine have ever had are a set of adjustable Koni shocks and race springs.

As for settings, depends on preference for handling, I like mine very hard which creates a bit of oversteer, a good friend who races has softer springs as he likes a bit of understeer.

My suggestion for you initially would be

Poly bushes all round
Adjustable Koni inserts (Koni red or Koni yellow as they will need re-calibrating for a lowered race car anyhow)
Springs, I had some AHM spec springs which I think were 450lb front, 650lb rear. Very hard and provoked understeer. I will have to check if I have that right as it is a long time ago

I don't use an anti roll bar

The Sprint has top adjustable Koni Reds, of unknown origin and calibration, same for the springs, don't know the exact spec but the are hard nd the car is very flat in the bends, I adjust the shocks to a very hard setting in the dry.

I might have the springs back to front, and I will read the pre 83 regs again, to check.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Correction on the above.....the AHM springs were 450lb fronts and 750lb rears :shock: As confirmed in an old message from Aidie himself I found.

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Tim's advice is good - most Suds/Sprints/33's run pretty much that, with differences depending on preference.

Are you preparing a race car Jube?

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Correction again on the above, the softer springs gave understeer, the harder springs oversteer.

I wrote understeer with the AHM springs, I should have said oversteer with the 750lb/450lb set up.

Jube

Post by Jube »

Thanks very much Tim, excellent information and advice.

Hi Bryan - Yes, I'm trying to put all of the right pieces together to make a CTCRC Pre-83 Class D (or possibly Class X dependent on Engine/Bodywork Spec) compliant car.

I can't let you chaps have all of the fun - I want to join the party too! :D

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Veesix75 wrote:Correction again on the above, the softer springs gave understeer, the harder springs oversteer.

I wrote understeer with the AHM springs, I should have said oversteer with the 750lb/450lb set up.
That makes sense, the softer fronts will promote grip at the front and the stiff rears will lose grip more readily, encouraging oversteer. I used to run 900 lb springs on the (RWD) Droop Snoot, with 450 lb rears and no ARBs. Body roll was sort-of non-existant :D

...And it didn't understeer too badly, for an all-iron engine!

Lauren