CTCRC Classes for Alfasuds

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
jobeed

Re: CTCRC Classes for Alfasuds

Post by jobeed »

I missed it! Set the box to record it at 1.00 and recording failed! So got myself a beer and a packet of crisps, sent the misses off to read a Mills and Boon, or whatever it is she does when she's on her own, and settled down to watch it repeated at 9.00. The repeat was bl@@dy cut short so didn't show your race - gutted!

I take it you were on after the gt cars? And it was in fact cut short? If I nodded off half way through I can go back and check. Quite liked the formula ford racing though! That was close apart from the winner who seemed to finish about a day ahead of the rest of the field, I'd be asking for that engine to be stripped and checked over if I'd come second to him!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

[quote="jobeed"]I missed it! Set the box to record it at 1.00 and recording failed! So got myself a beer and a packet of crisps, and settled down to watch it repeated at 9.00. The repeat was bl@@dy cut short so didn't show your race - gutted!

It wasn't a later repeat mate, it was the second half of the days racing. I am sure Motors TV will show it again. When the beemer slides off track, the slow motion clip gives a good shot of Simon avoiding.

Simon, video clip was great, nice one. :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Highlights are on again tues 31st at 9pm

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi guys
Here is an interesting video for me.

http://youtu.be/rJITSZ8LPwE

The start and then at 14:30 when he laps me.
Brgds
Simon

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Hi all,

Wandered over in the pouring rain on Sunday to say hello but you were, wisely, taking cover no doubt. The weather was GRIM!

Saw the races both live and later on TV and it all seemed a lot of fun.

My Formula Ford weekend wasn't quite so good: We lost an engine testing on Friday - brand new, dyno'd only, 10 laps into the day - so dug the older 1970 car out to try that out. I Should have thought more rationally as it turned out to be a bad move. It was not fully sorted and tested so we were facing an uphill battle but it ran reliably. It was so demoralising just watching people cruising past on the straights, corners, braking zones..........

Is anyone going to do the Castle Combe round of the CTCRC?

Ted

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Ted,
Sorry to hear about your new engine.
I am going to Castle Combe and I think Malcolm and Chris will too.
Ian seemed really keen to do Castle Combe. Fingers crossed for Tim to get his crank fixed.
Could be a good turnout.

All the best,
Simon

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

Great to see my old sc doing what it was built for :)

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Sudboy1490,
Was this car previously yours?
image.jpg
We have great hopes for this car. At Silverstone it was running rough despite being "tuned on a rolling road" two days before.
At one stage it started to run better for two laps and I briefly left the Sprint for dead. We cannot wait to get it running properly.
Seems it has BLS big valve heads and a 1.7 crank. Piper cams which BLS don't fit. The crank looks like it is not steel billet but cross drilled so we need to be respectful in terms of max rpm.
Any info very welcome.
All the best,
Simon

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

Hi Simon yes that the car, i sold it to a guy in York. I never touch the engine or gearbox while i had it but i had all the fiberglass work done, some new rear arch sections and filled in the sc trim holes along the sides before having it painted red. It was yellow with big stripes up through it when i got it " i'v got a photos of it before and after if your interested".

Its as solid as a rock isn't it, it just needed a good tidy up and the suspension sorting. I came with horrible cut springs so i bought some used Leda coil overs and rear race springs. Has it still got those Leda's on it? I also fitted the oil temp sender/gauge and s1 clock binnacle with the new clocks.

The car was actually sold to me as a 1732cc, is there not a list of engine specs in the history? Its a Dave Young engine which was virtually new when i got it, or so i was told, it certainly ran like new!! From memory most of the internals where 16v. I spoke to Dave and he'd set the car up to 150bhp. He didn't do the exhaust for it, the owner had that made at longlife. Dave told me the engine was capable of 159bhp but the exhaust was letting it down.

I was surprised to see it advertised as a 1.6 on ebay recently!

col

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Col,
I think it's a great car.
The gentleman I bought it from in York did tell me that the tuner was very disappointed with the exhaust he had fitted.
I have been relying on some written notes. I will take a look at the files again. I do have some pictures of the car when it was yellow but any other pictures would be very welcome.
I can't wait to get it running properly and seeing its potential.
All the best,
Simon

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Col,
These are the previous owners:
Nick Wood
Peter Primmer
Trevor Healey
Colin Million
Philip Wooley
Allan Abbey
Tim Tellet-Davies

Just found a piece of paper with the following on it:
160bhp
1732cc
Gas flowed big valve heads 42mm inlet 36mm exhaust
Lightened balanced crank
Lightened flywheel
Polished rods
16v rod bolts and flywheel bolts
Piper 349 cams
Piper valve springs

All the best
Simon

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

Yep that's the spec list I remember Simon, if you're ever up north with it you'll have to let me know, I'd love to see you racing it. Croft is my local circuit, they have a nostalga weekend every year which includes classic car racing I always clear my diary for that one, be great to see my old sud in the mix :0)

The only owners I know from the list is Nick Wood who i bought it from and Peter Primmer who i sold it to.

col

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Col,
Blimey, you are up near the North York Moors.
I will be racing at Donnington Park 6/7 June.
Is that a bit Midlands for you?

Brgds
Simon

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Col,
Just checked the 1.7 engine and it is 1712cc.
How do you get to 1732cc?
1.7 engine with 1.5 crank?
Re-bored 1.7?

Brgds
Simon

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

its a 1.7 bored out to its max oversize, taking it from a 1712 to a 1732cc

Don't know why the previous owner had it advertised as a 1.6, he must have thought it only had a 1.5 crank in it!

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.