1974 Alfasud Trofeo

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
Marlow Sud

1974 Alfasud Trofeo

Post by Marlow Sud »

The story is that I have been looking for an Autodelta Trofeo Sud for 2-3 years in my spare time. One came up for sale online in Italy but the details were a little scant. I sent the seller an email and the reply seemed dismissive. Of course, I had assumed the seller spoke English. He didn't. Well his English was probably far better than my Italian. Anyway, after the first email I got no further replies. Several weeks later I was in touch with a car seller based in Rome who happens to be a racing driver as well. I asked him if he would contact the owner of the Trofeo on my behalf and he kindly agreed. He explained that the owner of the Trofeo was a gentleman who had kept the car in great condition, it had a long racing history and the engine was newly re-built. Pictures and information started to flow and I bought the car unseen :o

The car was 2 hours south east of Rome and I arranged for it to be picked up by a car transport company. The car was delivered today. The boot and the passenger footwell are packed with spares and it also arrived with two Sud Ti spare front wings. The first thing that struck me is that there is no corrosion. I have identified a lot of the Autodelta kit features. The seats and belts are out of date and it needs an external pull handle for the fire extinguisher and a rear rain light but apart from that it looks ready to race. I will have to run the engine in first and have deen told to drive at least 300km to do this.

I am keen to find out as much as I can about the history of the car. If there is a historian/archivist who would be willing to help I would really appreciate it.

I hope you like the pictures. I love it.

Brgds,
Simon

unnamed.jpg
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG

alfasuddriver

Re: 1974 Alfasud Trofeo

Post by alfasuddriver »

She looks like a dream find Simon, congratulations! Will she be at Oulton Circuit next year?

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Looks very little to do,mainly cosmetic. All you need is get it to suit your driving style. Plenty of people on here to give you pointers. 1st stop would be Ted as a safe bet,would you guys agree?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

wow, what a find. looks in amazingly original condition 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

Very nice

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Very good - a special addition to the Suds in the UK!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

FanFlippinTastic!

I love it, and it certainly inspires me towards my own trofeo tribute project.

I look forward to hearing and learning more about its history, I'm sure someone will know how / where to access some old race archives?

Even if its appropriately in the language of lurrrrve! ;)

Amazing car, cant wait to see it in the flesh, but i dont suppose the boot of spares included the taller version trofeo spoiler did it?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

It looks excellent Simon, congratulations and I look forward to seeing it.

I'd find it hard not to stand in the garage looking at it all day!

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Wow, what a find - congratulations on your purchase!

Lauren

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Excellent buy mate, well done!!
I have some old Trofeo pictures that I have picked up along the way & I can post up for you on this thread if you want so you can have a look, thought id ask first as its your thread......., I can also send them to your email if you want to send me a pm
Look forward to seeing this car in the flesh like many others on here......

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

vecchioalfa wrote:Excellent buy mate, well done!!
I have some old Trofeo pictures that I have picked up along the way & I can post up for you on this thread if you want so you can have a look, thought id ask first as its your thread......., I can also send them to your email if you want to send me a pm
Look forward to seeing this car in the flesh like many others on here......

I think you should put them a thread so we can all see them

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kind comments. I will be getting it ready to race for early next year. I am keen to maintain originality and to fit items that should be in place - different rear spoiler? I will work through the Trofeo items to check they are all there. Any advice or comments greatfully received. It has FIA HTP papers and a Historic Certificate. I have been sent lots of old pics. Here are a few.

All the best,
Simon
CB80008 Pic2 (800x596).jpg
CB80008 Pic1 (800x596).jpg
CB80008 Pic5 (800x596).jpg

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Please feel free to post any pictures you would like. I would love to see them!

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

The cars number plate was CB80008 - CB for Campobasso. Here are some more pics of this car in a different livery and era.
Rally di Frosinone1 (800x652).jpg
Rally di Frosinone2 (800x652).jpg
Rally Spiga3 (800x592).jpg
Rally Spiga2 (800x595).jpg

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Great history I can see the car already has :)
I have put some details in the general discussion section about an online car provenance web site which is currently free, as these cars become more valuable the on-going history is very important.
Now Trofeo pictures, some of you may have seen some of these before, good to look at these period photos as they always show that even back in the day there were variations......
Alfasud Trofeo picture.jpg
trofeo 1.jpg
trofeo 2.jpg
trofeo 3.jpg
I think these were Germany or Italy maybe

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

...... and I think these were all UK maybe
trofeo 4.jpg
trofeo 6.jpg
trofeo 5.jpg

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

........and a couple more......
trofeo 7.jpg
trofeo 8.jpg
...... that's all I have, interesting to look at anyway.....

There is also an Italian Trofeo website:

http://www.trofeoalfasud.it/

and another with some information:

http://www.trofeocars.com/alfa-sud-trofeo.php

You may already know of these, if so sorry for going over old ground etc.... :)

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Incidentally does anyone know what wheels these are?

.........Shrew where are you mate :D
trofeo 6.jpg
They look great but I don't recognise them

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

What a fantastic car.... Looks like Christmas has come early.
Hope to see it one day.
p.s I thought the same about the wheels. I also wonder if the black stripe inspired the paint job on my car.....

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Kegsti66 wrote:What a fantastic car.... Looks like Christmas has come early.
Hope to see it one day.
p.s I thought the same about the wheels. I also wonder if the black stripe inspired the paint job on my car.....
Yes Keith it could have been an inspiration for the owner of your car back in the day, there was also a series 1 Ti sud for sale about 2 years ago in the same yellow colour as mine with the same thick black stripe on it so it could have been an aftermarket decal or done by a dealer (unsure what happened to the car by the way, it needed restoration although it didn't look that bad, ....but then again don't they all :) ).
I notice the speedline decal on the door so maybe they are infact speedline wheels or maybe that was just a sponsor at the time ............ Shrew will know :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Check out the mirrors on the leading car on the photo that comes up on the Italian trofeo link.... :shock:

88liam

Post by 88liam »

Hi Marlow,

Love the trofeo,

Which race series are you considering entering the trofeo.

Liam

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Great to see an AlfaSud rallying!

rsfruitbat

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Guys,

88Liam - not sure on which series as I am a Newbie to all this. The mission this year was just to have a go in the three AROC races. Three new drivers, one car and one race each. We now have three cars.

I started the engine for the first time today. With some trepidation as it is newly re-built. It ran beautifully. I have to run it in now and any advice on that much appreciated. I have been told to drive it for at least 300KM and not to exceed 6000rpm. During that period I am told I will feel the engine freeing up.

Videos here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hz9fzynspniz4 ... =137235284

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28t38wzx0j9tx ... =137235284

All the best,
Simon

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Hi Simon,

Glad it started and sounded good!

300km sounds like a lot to be honest - most race engines will be wearing away during that distance. When high revs are used, the big end bearings are susceptible to accelerated wear. Due to the lack of decent race spec bearing material we were changing them every 3-4 races - this has been the case for many years - and standard practice for reliability. Since going steel crank we now use a race material bearing and its fine for the season.

Do you have a detailed breakdown of the engine specification? Out of interest, is it a standard box or a dog box?

You want to avoid the bores glazing so don't go too steady on it (a high lift cam will probably mean you have to use it quite hard just to get anywhere). If you do have a high lift cam in it then don't let it sit and idle, you'll damage the cam lobes.

Our process for running in a modified engine at a track has always been:-

20 mins - using upto 6500 rpm
20 mins - using upto 7000 rpm
20 mins - using upto 7500 rpm

You could also use a rolling road to run it in, our last few post winter running in sessions have been done just prior to rolling road set up - in both instances it was 30 mins of mixed rpm running (obviously to suit the spec of the engine).

Regards,

Bryan.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Completely agree with Bryan on this, you don't want to hang around running it in, or it'll stay tight for ages!

With my previous bike engines, from either brand new, or fully rebuilt, we'd use mineral oil for start up, quick round the block a couple of times, drop the oil, change to semi synthetic, and let her rev freely but not sustained.

50-100 miles later, change the oil again, and treat as completely normal, i.e. like you stole it! :D

She sounds lovely though, i bet you can't wait to drive it in anger?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Bryan & Shrew,

Thanks for the great advice. Its really helpful. Really looking forward to driving it.
I have been told to use MOTUL RACING oil by the previous owner - any views on that?
Along with the car pics I was sent a picture of Trofeo engine being built in a workshop in the 70s? The picture has a filename of "Ciarcelluti".
I see that they now build Fiat 500 racing engines. I will ask if they built this one.
Here is the picture:
engine build.jpg

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

BS25 wrote:Hi Simon,

Glad it started and sounded good!

300km sounds like a lot to be honest - most race engines will be wearing away during that distance. When high revs are used, the big end bearings are susceptible to accelerated wear. Due to the lack of decent race spec bearing material we were changing them every 3-4 races - this has been the case for many years - and standard practice for reliability. Since going steel crank we now use a race material bearing and its fine for the season.

Do you have a detailed breakdown of the engine specification? Out of interest, is it a standard box or a dog box?

You want to avoid the bores glazing so don't go too steady on it (a high lift cam will probably mean you have to use it quite hard just to get anywhere). If you do have a high lift cam in it then don't let it sit and idle, you'll damage the cam lobes.

Our process for running in a modified engine at a track has always been:-

20 mins - using upto 6500 rpm
20 mins - using upto 7000 rpm
20 mins - using upto 7500 rpm

You could also use a rolling road to run it in, our last few post winter running in sessions have been done just prior to rolling road set up - in both instances it was 30 mins of mixed rpm running (obviously to suit the spec of the engine).

Regards,

Bryan.
Hi Bryan,

The gearbox is listed in the FIA HTP papers as Alfa Romeo 1974 5 speed. Final Drive Ratio 9-37. Gear Ratios 8-37, 7-37, 9-34, 10-37 & 11-39. There is reference to a Colotti differential.

Brgds,
Simon

SteffenJ3316V

Post by SteffenJ3316V »

I want one so bad :D

Gary Orchard

Post by Gary Orchard »

Great to have another one of these in the UK

The one that Trofeo Cars have got (The blue one on the website link) has an alloy roll cage which is one of the reasons it has never been raced in this country - it seems this was how it was built from the Trofeo Kit of parts ?

Would be worth double checking yours with a magnet etc. before you fail a scrutineering check somewhere !

Hope to see it racing next year