Sprint racer

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
Veesix75

Re: Sprint racer

Post by Veesix75 »

Numbers on.......just need to cover it in a few layers of bubble wrap now before Saturday just in case.... :shock:
image.jpeg

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

That looks cracking. Got any more pictures?

Brgds
Simon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Nice and clean Tim. Looks very nice.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Worth another 5bhp i reckon.

rsfruitbat

junior

Post by junior »

Looks great. :D How did you get the numbers on orientated correctly, marking out or is there a modern way ?

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Thanks.

I don't have any more pics with the numbers on, took that one before putting it away. Hopefully some nice ones will appear from the weekend. The stripe and numbers are all we have put on, nice and simple so the rest is fairly plain. Just need to add some hscc logos and a stick on front numbe plate for the hscc races.

We like it, it looks nice and clean, and as per the main remit with Kev , shiney .

The paintwork is super slippery, so perhaps I'll cut through the air faster!

James - fitting the numbers straight :

1. The number and circle were printed on a opaque square, the rub on type decals so are all fitted as one piece.
2. I got the place that printed them to fit them as I'm useless at it !

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

That does look superb. White with green accents looks so right!

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Hi Veesix75, Me and my son come and saw you race last year when you had the problem with your rear caliper.
I don't know what he has planed but is it OK to come down on Sunday ?

I did send a photo off 67 when she was being towed back to the pits to my long suffering wife telling her "I've only gone and bought another one" :D

She was not impressed :oops:

Hopefully I wasn't a jinx (I was also interested in a yellow montecarlo) as I have one of those and it seemed to do well in the weird mix of the class.

If you don't want me to Jinx you again I will promise not to even speak to you :lol:

H

jobeed

Post by jobeed »

Looks fantastic! All the good paint schemes will be gone before mine is finished, err started!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Harvey - be nice to see you and anyone else. Was it Silverstone last year you came to?

Just be sure, this weekend is Cadwell on Saturday and Sunday, and it's the Silverstone on Saturday 21st only.

On Sunday at cadwell , I'm on early, just after lunch.

John - there is a colour scheme left, I had intended doing my sud tango orange with black stripes. It's all yours. :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Time for a good nights sleep......until tomorrow.
image.jpeg

junior

Post by junior »

That looks a tight fit in that garage ! Good effort. Keep us posted and good luck.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Great to see Tim in action yesterday with the chief mechanic Dad as usual in charge of things, Keith and Dad too in his lovely Sud, is it the most travelled Sud besides Dave with his year round travels? plus nice to see BLS Tom out at an event without him being busy with a race to sort and looking much more relaxed.

Tim did a great job of being amongst the best of the "normal" BHP guys, some guys up front with big power

Car looked great with the green decals
IMG_20160515_105049944[1].jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Looks brilliant.

How did the day go?

rsfruitbat

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Thanks Kev / Ade

We enjoyed the weekend overall, a bit rusty in qualifying but got down to a 1:53 (I'm trying to achieve a 1:50, and ultimately 1:49), and ended up 9th out of 22 so no bad in terms of position.

Race 1, I went slower at 1:54, but probably helped by being alone for most of the race, having pulled away from the pack behind but couldnt keep near the front runners. Finished 6th due to 3 dnf's.

Race 2, nice to be on the 3rd row of the grid, surrounded by 3 litre capris, similar to race one, front few pulled away, I managed a gap between me and the 2 cars behind. A quick mini came through from the back and passed me, and it gave me a second wind and something to chase, couldnt catch him but stayed close enough and managed a low 1:51.

It was nice to see everyone, had a few friends turn up to watch.

Keith - hope you and your dad enjoyed it, I saw multiple people take photos of your car, including a couple taking a selfie in front of it.

As for the sprint, it looked great, went well and sounded great. I had a lot of people pass comment of how good it looked, and someone asked if I wanted to sell it :D . Very happy with Kevs work, and it looks just as I wanted it to.

Finally, one of the 2cv racers came across at the end to ask about the sprint, after a chat he finally told me he has a series 1 Sud ti which he intends to turn into a racer!

Silverstone might not happen now next week, as the clutch might have burnt out on the tow car, will know by tomorrow :roll:

Anyhow, a good start to the year and a few pics in the paddock :
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

junior

Post by junior »

The car looks great Tim, esp the stripe down the side, that was well chosen. Makes it look even lower. :D

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Glad it went well and came back with no battle scars.
makes all the hardwork worthwhile.

rsfruitbat

Oxfordshire driver

Post by Oxfordshire driver »

The car looks great Tim!
Just reviewed timings on TSL and looks as though you had two good, solid races. Hard to tell from timing sheets though, did you get any in-car footage?

Following Andy Messham in his Mini is a sight to behold, just when you think he has over-cooked it and about to spin off he just collects it up and scampers off!

Hope to see you at Donington (19th June, quali and 2x races all on Sunday + talk of rolling starts for the tv coverage)

Malcolm

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Well done Tim. The car looks great.

Brgds,
Simon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Tim, sorry we didn't catch up with you before you left after your races.
Glad you had a good weekend, the Sprint looks really pretty on the track. Low, clean and mean.
I moved my car as Dad was getting puffed out walking up and down the path to the stands and I got it parked up near the bottom of "the mountain".
Good day out, and as Kev says, nice to meet up.
So we need to watch this space for another series 1 Sud joining in :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Cadwell park again next weekend, sat and sun 18th and 19th

I'm on at 10 am and 2pm sat, and an early race sun at 11ish

It's 70's road sports, 5 Alfa's including me and a coule of lancias.

Timetable and entry lists here

http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/Provision ... k_2016.pdf

http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/Provision ... y_2016.pdf

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

cheers for the timings mate, we'll be there Sunday for sure
rob will be working staurday afternoon, i'll try and get up there for your race then over to ludford for an hour or two before back for the imps racing in the classic touring cars, rob says he'll be there then over to do some work!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Really short notice, but I'm racing at Croft tomorrow (sat) and Sunday .

It's the Croft nostalgia meeting and a really good couple of days.

I'm on really early both days, 9am qualify, 11:45 race sat and 11:00 am race Sunday.

I have spare tickets for both days but it will be hard to hand them over as I will be ther for 7am sat and 8am sun but PM me if you want to try and get hold of one

I will be very busy sat with scruitineering etc so hard to come to gates or anything but you never know, we can try.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Good luck Tim.
We will be watching out on TSL timing. Show them what a Sud Sprint can do!

Brgds,
Simon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Have a good weekend Tim.
Good luck.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

After a high speed argument with a gravel trap at Croft, and a subsequent major clean up, I'm entered at silverstone this weekend in the ctcrc pre 83 racing sat and sun.

Then the following sat 15th I'm back at silverstone with the hscc 70's road sports.

pre 83 is on the international circuit and 70's is on the national.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Good luck Tim,
Sorry I won't be able to make either date.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I'm almost grateful that it now feels like I have very little time to get ready for the first race.....

The rear quarter damage has been repaired, just need to get the stripes back on. Started the engine today for the first time since October - all seems good.

Need to check over all the running gear in the next few weeks, replace the brake pads and then its off to Donington on the 8th of April.

Found this pic from Silverstone, a few laps before the berk in a Scimitar decide to drive straight into me - nice reminder of what's to come (the racing, not the berk)

http://www.charliewooding.co.uk/v/photo ... 5404?ppp=0

There is a flurry of races for the HSCC and the CTCRC alternating between Cadwell twice and Silverstone twice in May and June - the plan is to do all of them so fingers crossed for a trouble and berk free season.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Fingers crossed indeed Tim :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Well, I'm all set for this Saturday at Donington in the HSCC 70's series. 5 Alfas, all Bertones and 2 Lancias plus me, and a 30 car grid.

While it's nice not to scruitineer first, we equally have the grave yard shift racing at 6pm.

I have'nt raced at Donington for 10 years so looking forward to it.