The Green Meanie!

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
lancsbreaker

Re: The Green Meanie!

Post by lancsbreaker »

Hi All - just registered on here.......

Tim - only actually had two Sud entries for Oulton on the 25th yet - Simon in a newly acquired one, I think, and his brother in the red Sprint you know and love - but of course I know you are entering, and I have had some other interest.....

All other entries more than welcome of course, guys :)

Richard Murtha
Aroc Director for Motorsport

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Tim,

I am bringing the red 1.7 16V Sprint and a 1.6 8V Sud. You have your white Sprint and Richard Murtha advised there is a fourth Sud. I dont know who it is.
I am looking forward to it. I watched the video of Ted at Cadwell (because I have only ever driven at Cadwell) and he is 6 seconds a lap faster than me...............6 seconds! I am hoping the 1.6 8V Sud will live up to its billing of being seriously quick. Just need a quick driver now!

All the best,
Simon

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Morning all,

Can't commit to the Oulton Park Event yet as I am having the Sud serviced by Tom at BLS (who else?). I dropped it off last night after the very wet Cadwell Track Day. It's done 3 races and 3 track days so it's having the shells replaced and belts, brake pads and a thorough going over so a week Saturday might not be feasable.

As to Cadwell lap times....the quickest I've been round Cadwell on road tyres (Toyo 888s) was 1 minute 43 Seconds and on slicks, 1 minute 41. But I think sub 1 minute 40 should be on with a bit of commitment and a following breeze!

Ted

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Simon, if you have time , I'm sure the chaps on this forum would like to see/read a new thread of your cars and experiences so far

Which red sud is it, the Kinnell one or the one fom York (or neither)?

My entry will be in tomorrow so hopefully we will get a few more to join us.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Veesix 75,

I picked up CAR 570X from Peter Primmer in Yorkshire last night. Its a red 1.5 Super.
The engine has been built in the past by BLS. The rolling road plot shows 168bhp at 7330rpm at the flywheel and 131bhp at 7100rpm at the wheels.
Names in the paperwork include:
Nick Wood
Trevor Healy (sometimes spelt Heley)
Colin Million
Phillip Woolley
Allan Abbey
Tim Tellett-Davies

Its in very nice order but needs a new seat, new belts, a set of Toyo R888 tyres and an oil catch tank.

I will do a write up on my Sud story. I have done a write-up of my first race at Cadwell and I think it will be in the next AROC magazine.

Brgds,
Simon
Attachments
$_57.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

That looks in very good order, and the specs are certainly interesting reading too :P

i look forward to more on this one.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Now that is going to be alot of fun on track :D
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

The Car looks great......I think it was car I tried to buy a long, long time ago when it was more of a production spec racer (brown in colour), someone beat me to it at the time and I'm sure it was Phil Woolley and a friend of his - I think they changed the colour to yellow?

Its clearly been rebuilt significantly since then, look forward to seeing it.

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Trevor Heley raced it in old Class F (i.e not with that engine) - the car at that stage had a BLS engine, gearbox and suspension. The only other name I have heard of amongst those in terms of racing is Phil Woolley. Way back, he bought the Sud that is now owned by Steve Dymoke - which was originally built and raced by Dave Litchfield, sold to Pete Cate, then Phil Woolley (didn't use it much), then Mike Watson - who sold it to Steve. I'm not sure its still the original shell?

Back on this one, it looks good - do you have the engine build spec? Sounds like the rolling road is a tad optimistic - my 1800 8v full race with huge inlet valves only made 175bhp. However, I'm sure yours will go well, keep us informed!

lancsbreaker

Post by lancsbreaker »

@ Ted - you'll be very welcome to join us at Oulton if you can get the car sorted - I'm fully flexible on entry receipt dates ;)

@ Simon - Just got my copy of the latest AROC mag - can't see your write-up in it but I've only glanced through and it is a packed issue......I have got a report of the Brands meeting in my Competition Corner article, though.

Anyone wanting to watch at Oulton on the 25th, let me know - I may have some spare tickets available, although no promises just now. ;)

Richard Murtha
AROC Board member for Motorsport

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

thanks for joining up and letting us know developements richard, and the offer of tickets will be snapped up i should think ;)
not by me though i hasten to add, very busy end to the year so having a day out to oulton won't happen.
is a great track to watch from though, went there for bsb this year, first time i'd been since the 90's when we went fairly regularly.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Ted,
I will post the rolling road info online shortly so you can take a look and see what you think. I am sure it's 1588cc.
I will also find out what else has been done to it.
I will need to get up to speed on engine preventative maintenance so I don't blow it up.
Brgds
Simon

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

image.jpg

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Ted,
It looks like Tom at BLS built the engine in 1990 and again in 1993 for Trevor Healy. I am told the power output is 2 hp down because the last owner fitted a different exhaust to the one specified.

Brgds
Simon
Attachments
image.jpg

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

MSA logbook pic 2001
image.jpg

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Hi Simon,

The engine that Tom (my father) would have built for Trevor Healey will have been to AROC Class F rules - 1490cc blueprinted - i.e, a 105bhp engine carefully tolerance, with ports cleaned up and matched, etc. The most this engine will have had is 120bhp. It doesn't sound like this engine is to that spec - to have 160+bhp it will need full race cams, big valve heads, 45's, etc - best way to tell if it has full race cams is if you have virtually no power below 5000 rpm then you have full race cams :). An LSD will also be required :)

Rolling roads vary in their realism but I always say that they are a tool to ensure that your engine is set up correctly - power figures are a little immaterial, its the stopwatch that tells you if you have enough.

1600 can be achieved by using 1700 pistons with that standard 1500 crank, BLS did loads of those back in the day.

Whatever the spec, the Sud will put a huge smile on your face :D

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi BS25,

Thanks for your info and comments. I really appreciate it.
There is a reference to Piper 349 cams, 42mm inlet and 36mm exhaust, gas flowed heads plus a reference to 1732cc? and a Quaife LSD.
I will do some more homework but as you say, I am sure I will have a lot of fun at Oulton Park on Saturday.

Brgds,
Simon

BS25

Post by BS25 »

That's sounding like a nice spec - and a Quaife LSD too. They are of the torque biasing variety that BLS had several batches of during the 90's - really good on the road and should also be fine on the track with the sort of power you have (and non slicks). They are very user friendly too!

42mm inlets were usual 'big valve head spec' - the biggest production inlets being 40mm. I'm starting to think that this could be the engine and box from another car that BLS built (I have one in mind that ended up in the North East) - though BLS didn't use Piper cams. Is the block painted a dark green? All BLS built engines have hard dark green painted blocks since the mid-80's :)

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Simon, I think the car had a 1700 8v engine in at some point hence the 1732cc reference in the paperwork?

I remember this because not only did I enquire about buying it in year 2000 when brown, I also saw it for sale about 4 years ago and I'm sure then it was a 1700 (and thought seriously about buying it then!) it's a small world with suds.

As Brian said, all rollers differ and all you need to do is use the same ones for consistency , it looks a great car and it will be quick. Llooking at the half of the roller report it does look to have race cams.

See you Saturday.

P.s......lets stick all future replies in you new thread.... :D

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi BS25,

I will check it out tomorrow and send you a pic.

Brgds,
Simon

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

KevJTD wrote:here you go mate ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf9GpvyQaUE
Great video showing the lines around Cadwell from inside the Green Meanie but have a look at this one! Is this the best video ever of an Alfasud in action? The standard of driving is phenomenal and the car is a joy to watch.

Something for us newbies to aspire to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAmR5niIyF8

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Marlow Sud wrote:
KevJTD wrote:here you go mate ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf9GpvyQaUE
Great video showing the lines around Cadwell from inside the Green Meanie but have a look at this one! Is this the best video ever of an Alfasud in action? The standard of driving is phenomenal and the car is a joy to watch.

Something for us newbies to aspire to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAmR5niIyF8
i remember that day well mate, ted was well on form that day. he had that glint in his eye...great to be there

in fact it was a great weekend for the BLS prepped cars, bryan getting the double with the 33 if memory serves ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

BS25

Post by BS25 »

It was a great day for BLS cars! :)

Ralph has been coming racing with us for years - he shot the video above and also those of the two Alfa races I won earlier in that weekend:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmPBeUMJuXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBt1JNt4_wQ

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Another boxer engined Alfa absolutely flying.
I am glad I called BLS today and spoke to Tom. He is going to take a look at my 1.3ti Trofeo to make sure it is race ready and up to BLS standards. :shock:

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

You're a lucky lucky man Simon, so many would love to be in those shoes! :mrgreen:

But I'm sure the fact that it is a trofeo car helped swing it notably :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon