F3. NovaMotor Twin Spark.

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
LooLooSud33Spider

F3. NovaMotor Twin Spark.

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Evening all
Long shot time again. A friend of mine has a Reynard F3 car that originally ran in the Italian F3 championship. Sadly it came without its Alfa Twin spark as built by Novamotor. These were highly modified units that shared very few parts with the std twin spark. He is currently in discussions to buy an engine From a chap in Mexico and the seller is Legit. If he does buy it, I’ll be tasked with rebuilding the engine before it goes back in to the chassis. Now the question. Does any one have any technical data or any information on these engines. I’ve seen some photos and they are dry sumped with lots of external mods they even got rid of the timing chain and replaced it by a timing belt That looks like it runs the cams via internal gears all very special. it also looks like they use a Montreal distributor
Any help with information I would be eternally grateful
Regards
Lou
I’ve added a few photos so you can get the idea
ED3B3E07-0476-4239-BA3D-07ABCFD08C7D.jpeg
62AAF387-36E1-4585-B5F5-747836E7FCF7.jpeg
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

bobkelso

Re: F3. NovaMotor Twin Spark.

Post by bobkelso »

Hi, I read about this after your post, F3 Novamotor TS engine it is an interesting history I didn't know.

I read few technical infos avalaible on the net, probably the same you already discoverd.
Engine being high performance ( 200HP with F3 air intake restriction of 24mm, or 240 prepared without it) is modified with "monosleve" and larger than standard custom pistons (+ race valves, valve train, cams) and probably others custom internals, high rev. suggest also racing conrods, but no info about crank (if eventually they used sligtly shorter travel than 88,5mm or keep standard crank ? it depends on pistons diameter, to have 2000cc) and eventual totally custom head or a standard one hightly modified; covers are alloy of magnesium and very expensive if one has to substitue; not clear what material are used for dry sump, if an alloy of aluminium or of magnesium (for adding more structural resistance I'll think they used a good alloy of aluminiun?)

this contact could eventually be one source of infos and spares,
It seams this person worked on these engines for many years in the Novamotor (small) factory (Novara, Italy),
and from 1989 and actually he has his own activity (still in Novara) rebuilding/preparing engines and sport cars,

https://www.ellegimotori.com/it/novamot ... ngine.html

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Bob
Thanks for the information. I have come across Ellegri Motori through a friend in Italy and I’m sure I’ll be getting in touch with them in the future. For the moment I’m still awaiting the arrival of the engine from Brazil.
Either way it’s an interesting project and I’m looking forward to getting into it and learning about them
Thanks again for your research and help. I may even create a thread about the rebuild as I get into it posting pictures etc.
regards
Louise
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Hi Lou,
Drop me a PM or text as I have a friend who has two Alfa based Novamotors and has recently had them rebuilt - one after an over rev and another after a holed piston - common occurrence in restricted F3 motors.
Hope all's well?
Ted