Rally Sprint

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
Veesix75

Rally Sprint

Post by Veesix75 »

I took the liberty of opening a new thread for Michael’s Sprint in this section (and I just lined all the coke cans up evenly in the fridge....).

What a great photo !
Attachments
FECF91C7-031F-4311-AF41-CB2CACBF2EDD.jpeg

Rally sprint

Re: Rally Sprint

Post by Rally sprint »

Hi thanks for that, love the photo too was in with the paperwork for the car. The plan is to recommission the car , it's been locked in a garage for about 18 years after the owner moved abroad so needs quite a bit doing have already changed all the engine fluids and the cambelts and am busy making a new exhaust ,brakes will be next it has inboard brakes with vented discs and ap four pot calipers and a bias pedal box which needs new cylinders , will get some pictures this week.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Great photo!!
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have good plans for the car.

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

That is such a cool photo. What a great way to introduce yourself to the forum. Do you have any idea when it was taken, or what the rally history of the car might have been?

I'm about halfway through reading Lincoln Coopers Alfasud Trofeo book, but couldn't resist diverting into the "what might have been" section, and aside from the Sprint 6C mid-engine concept there was apparently also an idea to create a V6 4WD Sprint for Group B rallying which would have been kinda awesome but also very impractical for servicing with a V6 instead of a flat 4 ahead of the front axles!

Looking forward to following this re-build thread 8-)

Lauren

Rally sprint

Post by Rally sprint »

Hi think photo was taken about 2000 and from what I've been told is the guy first rallied a sud which was badly damaged so swapped all the bits into this sprint but don't know anything else.

Michael

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi There

what will you be resurrecting the car for???
circuits , trackdays, road car or for rallying?

is this the car that was on ebay recently?

From the picture I would hazard a guess at the Millbrook testing ground.

Good luck with the build

rsfruitbat

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Wow……thread resurrection.

Just been vegetating watching day time telly, and quest showed an episode of salvage hunters classic cars (with Drew Prickard, and no that isn’t a spelling error !) , the episode was Porsche 944 focussed, but when ‘Paul’ was selling the 944 to the staged buyer, the rally sprint above was parked in the background. :D I was clearly concentrating more than I thought.

Saw it 3 times as the pretend negotiation took place.

Rally sprint

Post by Rally sprint »

Hi, yes that is my sprint in the background, I ran the workshop for salvage hunters classic cars , done it for the last three years . We restored i think 56 cars in that period. I parked the sprint in the background wondering if anyone would spot it and you did. Even though you see very little of the cars being worked on in our workshop we did the majority of the work unlike many other car shows. By the way the buys were genuine the cars were for sale and were bought by real people.

Cheers Michael

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Thanks Michael, made my day when I saw it.

Btw I didn’t think the buyers were fake, more the ‘wooden’ negotiating chit chat that comes across a bit fake. Not quite as fake as wheeler dealers to be fair. Reason I know the buyers are real is the chap that bought the green ‘coombes’ mk2 jag was a head honcho at a company I worked for a long time ago, I recognised him once they said his christian name.

Agree re the cars and work done it comes across well and real, I actually like the programme and Paul seems a normal bloke who mostly talks sense plus some nice and different cars are chosen, I missed the one with an alfetta gtv. The Maserati was a nice buy, looked awesome after the machine polish.

Drew comes across as a bellend of the highest order, however I have to bow down to the fact he’s getting to do it and I’m not so I’m sure he won’t lose sleep over my opinions :D

Got any more pics of the Sprint, or plans for it ?

Rally sprint

Post by Rally sprint »

Hi, glad you like the choice of cars we had quite a bit of input with them, tried to do some of the more interesting cars, sometimes we had to do more of the run of the mill tv car choices to keep the channel happy! To be fair drew is not to bad to work with very straightforward and the show was fun to work on , have worked on and with other TV car shows the were alot more difficult! As for the sprint am hoping to get back to it in the next couple of months, I live in Durham and have been travelling down to Oxfordshire every week for the last three years working on this program so not had alot of spare time! Am now finished doing that and have the car at my workshop now . Am restoring a 80s 7.5 ton iveco race truck/ motorhome at min to tow the sprint and provide accommodation at rallies so once that is done full steam ahead on the sprint. Been collecting parts for the sprint and have pretty much everything to finish it , just need some time !

Cheers Michael

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Well, hopefully a bit of inspiration to complete it and that it will be well worth waiting for, here’s mine in action last year. The Capri is a 2.8i and at least 250bhp, heavier than my sprint but once I got past him I pulled away.
9BA91240-4FAD-4352-A30E-D85061D13992.jpeg

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Well, I saw the Sprint again, this time when selling the Fiat 500 which looked lovely when finished. Was it a repeat show or a more recent one, I’ve lost track?

Also saw the Jensen Interceptor show, that looked incredible when finished, lovely colour.

Rally sprint

Post by Rally sprint »

Hi, the fiat 500 episode was from a earlier series. The jensen was from the final series. Keep looking out in the background i parked the sprint in places it might be seen in shot so there's a chance it may pop up again.

Cheers Michael