AROC Class B Alfasuds (Where are they now?)

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
garygecko

AROC Class B Alfasuds (Where are they now?)

Post by garygecko »

085d88cb1dd84d3270db82a3cac44801.jpg
We all know where this one is. Still owned and driven by Ted Pearson.
18312822333_15e0c76f21_b.jpg
Tim Lewis Sprint. Now supercharged and I believe still owned by Tim?
18933525425_f2a85a1b72_b.jpg
Pete Cate/David Litchfield/David Munro. I believe this was destroyed in a hillclimb crash a few years ago with Steve Dymoke at the wheel?
gary-lucas-alfasud.jpg
David Munro/Gary Lucas/Kevin Griffiths/Others? Destroyed after Kevin's tragic accident.
Untitled.jpg
John Frankel?
Sud5.jpg
Sud5.jpg (54.73 KiB) Viewed 26165 times
Dave Thomas? Update: This is the same car as the green Ted Pearson car above. Thanks Veesix75 and BS25.
sally-bishop.jpg
Sally Bishop/Nigel Cottee ?

Anyone know where any of these cars are? Feel free to correct me and add others.
Last edited by garygecko on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Veesix75

Re: AROC Class B Alfasuds (Where are they now?)

Post by Veesix75 »

Nice pics...the yellow David Thomas Sud and the green Ted Sud are one and the same car.

Steve Dymoke has another almost identical Sud to replace the one written off - I assume it was a new build rather than an ex Class B car. The one written off might have been yhe blue one in your pics or ex Phil Woolley (I might have also made that name up).

The red Sud Liam has restored on here was also originally a blue class B Sud, Liam can confirm who owned it, pics are in this forum somewhere.

what about this one: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alfas ... kXGl3V6BoM:

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

Veesix75 wrote:Nice pics...the yellow David Thomas Sud and the green Ted Sud are one and the same car.

Steve Dymoke has another almost identical Sud to replace the one written off - I assume it was a new build rather than an ex Class B car. The one written off might have been yhe blue one in your pics or ex Phil Woolley (I might have also made that name up).

The red Sud Liam has restored on here was also originally a blue class B Sud, Liam can confirm who owned it, pics are in this forum somewhere.

what about this one: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alfas ... kXGl3V6BoM:
I don't think the green and yellow cars are the same. I thought Ted had owned it from when it was a class C car? Same wheels, body kit and number though. Maybe Ted can confirm?

There are two red Suds which one do you think is Liam's?

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Ted's car was Class C, then B - then owned and raced by Dave Thomas, then owned and raced by Ted once again.

The blue car referred to was Andy Steavensons - also raced by Paul Fasey.

The Sud with Sally Bishop was Nigel Cottee's - not sure where that ended up.

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Going back further:-

Phil Rowley - Sud Ti
Alan Marshall - Sud Ti (rebuilt into a 33)
John Liddle - Sud Ti (rebuilt into 33 'Partsbox')
Andrew Thorpe - Sud Ti (ex Napolina Dealer Team car)

There are others.....

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

18312888823_0bdc58d797_b.jpg
Nick Sismey Alfasud with the Thorpe Sud.
18936425151_23da9d5589_b.jpg
Alan Marshal Sud.

I couldn't find pics of the others. The Liddle parts car was one of my all time favourite liveries but I can find a pic of that either.

Thanks for putting me straight on the Pearson/Thomas car.

I should credit Alfaracer.com as that is where I ripped most of these images from.

junior

Post by junior »

Some great pictures chaps. Thanks for posting them. :D

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Nick Sismey's Sud got written off at Harewood Hillclimb - John was driving it and had a big accident (rolled several times).

88liam

Post by 88liam »

BS25 wrote:Ted's car was Class C, then B - then owned and raced by Dave Thomas, then owned and raced by Ted once again.

The blue car referred to was Andy Steavensons - also raced by Paul Fasey.

The Sud with Sally Bishop was Nigel Cottee's - not sure where that ended up.
Gents, Bryans correct, the Blue car reffered to i purchased from Paul Fasey. Pics 1 to 3 may jog some memories. Pic 4 the car now.
Alfasud 6.jpg
Pic No 1
Alfasud 7.jpg
Pic No 2
Alfasud 2003  41.jpg
Pic No3

Pic 1 is how it started out, Pic 2 only can assume that it had a front end colision and the front end was replaced with a series 3 front end, Pic No3 how i purchased the car from Paul Fasey, obviously not in that condition. Can any body remeber how competive it was has a car, especially has the blue racer, i still have the engine????
Attachments
Pic No4
Pic No4

BS25

Post by BS25 »

It went pretty well - never the fastest boxer engined car but was well driven and quick enough to capitalise on others issues to get good results. It didn't get used very often.

A good source of results and information from this era can be found in old AROC magazines (Gary will remember these) - the race reports and photos appeared whenever the magazines did (monthly, mainly). I appear from 1993, Ted from 1988?

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Liam,
The greeny , multi striped Sud next to your car in photo 2 has been on ebay a few times, I think ex Alfa services Colin Wing car was what the listing said. So that may be getting restored somewhere.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Kegsti66 wrote:Liam,
The greeny , multi striped Sud next to your car in photo 2 has been on ebay a few times, I think ex Alfa services Colin Wing car was what the listing said. So that may be getting restored somewhere.
Good spot on the Wing car mate, I had that one here for a while!
The cage went into the 16V Sud I did, now owned by Shrew..
It was pretty rotten, it came from Rodger Motherwell to me, not sure if it came down with him from Scotland...
I think it went from Shrew (who I "donated" the remains to) onto Steve who had the black 33 from near Scunny, seem to think someone on here ended up with it a year or so back? I recall being asked about making it back to health...but then I've been asked to do a few now!

This was it on Shrews' trailer before it came to me.

Floors/sills etc were pretty cruddy but saveable at that stage.

The forward facing suspension arms did have a strange mounting set up too I recall now seeing the pictures....
Attachments
P180212_11.22_[01].jpg
P180212_11.23.jpg
P180212_11.22_[02].jpg
P180212_10.50.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

She did look in a poor state when I saw her on ebay.
Rodger Motherwell is the guy with that lovely prepared orange Sprint with Trofeo arches.
When it was first prepped for racing, I think by Mark Oldfield, I bought the steel wheels off it for my car. It was originally Posillipo Blu, same as my car was. :lol: Small world.
Attachments
$_57.jpg

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

That's the one mate, I've not seen or heard from Rodger in some time, think since he got a new female....as the saying goes :D Think he was all luvved up :)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Rodger doesn't own that car now, someone aptly named Mario now owns it, it's been painted Orange rather than 'Salmon'. it was never a AROC class B car it was built originally to run in the HSCC 70's Roadsports series hence 1500cc and no arches (so looked very much like mine but blue). Once Rodger bought it he converted it to the spec above.

Did anyone click on the link to the yellow 'Bridge / Wulf' sud above and whether it lives?

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Hi All,

Yes, my car was originally green and then was painted yellow when Dave Thomas raced it (much to my annoyance! :shock: ). When I got it back it had to be restored back to its proper colour - Verde Aqua.

Steve Dymoke did destroy the ex Peter Cate/Dave Munro/Dave Litchfield car in a Hillclimb accident (Prescott as I recall) but he did re-shell it using the bare shell from his old Class C racing car so there is decent race winning heritage in that shell anyway. Steve still has it and hill climbs it when he's not out in his S2000 156 Touring Car.

I think that you got the photos around the wrong way 88Liam: As I recall things, Nick Humphrey built the car up in 1988 and raced it then as a fully modified race car on slicks. Winter 1988/89 Paul Fasey took it over and ran it as a class c car on road tyres having fitted steel doors, bonnet and wings. This is the car shown in the first photo with no logos and bumpers - I believe that was how it ran in 1989. Paul blew a big hole in the engine at Cadwell in August and I can't remember what happened to it after that. I do recall Paul used an Integrale as a tow car which I thought was super cool! Was it converted back to B spec for 1990? It must have been as that photo taken in the collecting area is Brands Hatch and the man holding the wire fence is my late father......

Tim Lewis still owns his supercharged 2.0 Sprint. I was with Adie Hawkins a few weeks ago and he mentioned it.

I will email John Norrington to see what he knows about his old yellow race car.

The red Sud with Gatwick Alfa on it was, I think, Mike Buckler and also a Class C car.

Bryan, anyone, correct me if I've made any errors - going totally from memory! Nice to see a photo of my old Dad though - he used to love watching the Alfas racing!

Ted

kammatic

Post by kammatic »

Hope you guys can help my poor memory.. when I was about 18 / 19 years old, I worked for alfatech racing in Luton for a while. Run by Rob emberton. I wasn't there that long. There was a lady that used to race a green 4 door and, her name was Jane something?
Can anyone remember the car? It would have been around 1993 / 94?
We also looked after a guy called Adam Stanhope, white alfetta gtv. And then another gtv, can't remember the colour to save my life, but that one was driven by Paul buckley? It's a long time ago so I may have the names mixed it... But at that age, going racing and seeing those and other cars out there, fired up a passion for things.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

So, while we are at this should we also compile a list of the sud, sprint and 33 racers that are still racing or close to being back in action......we might get a half decent grid ?

We will include yours Gary, even though it will race upside down.....I think we would all be either old Class B or Class C, Ian B is the only old Class F spec Sud I know of.

Gary - Sud S1 1900 16v (?)
Tim - Sprint 1500
Malcolm - Sud s3 1600
Duncan - Sprint 1700 16v
Ted - Sud s3 1800 (?)
Ted - Sud S1 Trofeo 1300
Liam - Sud s3(?) 1600 (?)
Ian Brookfield - Sud s3 1700
Mario - Sprint 1500 (races in Scotland)
??? - Sud S3 (blue sud races in Scotland)
??? - Sud S3 (red sud races in Scotland
Tim Lewis - Sprint 16v supercharged ?
Steve Dymoke - S3 Sud 1800 (?)
???? - Sprint Trofeo 1500 (the very nice one I posted some pics of at Race Works)
Adi Hawkins - 33 s3 16v supercharged
Bryan - 33 1800 s3 (?) 16v
Lee Penn - 33 s2 ???? 16v
Lou - 33 s3 ????
Steve Fletcher - 33 s3 1700 16v

There are one or two more I can picture in my mind, but the grey matter is too worn out to remember the names, my old 33 is still tucked away somewhere and a wide arch modified red s2 33 that raced in ARCA a couple of years ago, and was for sale about the same time. Someone on here (or the other forum) I think also has a ex racer sud shell with Alitalia livery, plus Adsblacksud ?

Maybe we should ring auto italia and do a mass photo shoot ? :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Jane Cheffings ?

Didnt Alfatech run cars for a short time in 'Platimun Technology' Black and Green livery ? I remember a 75 and Alfetta GTV in those colours, plus a 33 ?

kammatic

Post by kammatic »

That's it! Jane Cheffings! I think the car actually had rich bitch in the window as her name lol
I did two stints working there ( mad I know )
The cars were platinum technology, green and black for a while. I was there when mark ticehurst drove a 33, he went on to do the vauxhall vectra challenge. Bloody good driver and nice bloke. I worked on both of those cars. There was another one we built, driven by Simon frost I think? He crashed it the first time out if I remember correctly. It's all coming back to me now. God that's was so many years ago but the memories all come back. I left alfatech due to the crap going on there at the time.

I'm trying to remember who drove the alfetta gtv..it might even have been Rob himself.

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

kammatic wrote:Hope you guys can help my poor memory.. when I was about 18 / 19 years old, I worked for alfatech racing in Luton for a while. Run by Rob emberton. I wasn't there that long. There was a lady that used to race a green 4 door and, her name was Jane something?
We also looked after a guy called Adam Stanhope, white alfetta gtv. And then another gtv, can't remember the colour to save my life, but that one was driven by Paul buckley? It's a long time ago so I may have the names mixed it... But at that age, going racing and seeing those and other cars out there, fired up a passion for things.
Yes, Veesix is correct, Jane Cheffings. I had a crazy night out with Rob Emberton and Adam Stanhope in Louth. They were good fun. I think I have photos that include Jane's and Adam's cars, both class F. I will try and dig them out.

kammatic

Post by kammatic »

garygecko wrote:
kammatic wrote:Hope you guys can help my poor memory.. when I was about 18 / 19 years old, I worked for alfatech racing in Luton for a while. Run by Rob emberton. I wasn't there that long. There was a lady that used to race a green 4 door and, her name was Jane something?
Yes, Veesix is correct, Jane Cheffings. I had a crazy night out with Rob Emberton and Adam Stanhope in Louth. They were good fun. I think I have photos that include Jane's and Adam's cars, both class F. I will try and dig them out.
Ah please do. Do you remember if there are pictures in the paddock? If you see an Italian looking lad with long hair in a pony tail, that would be a very much younger version of me then lol

adsblacksud

Post by adsblacksud »

Yes, my car is an ex. AROC racer, which was piloted by Gavin Powell.

Here is some in-car footage 1992 maybe - anybody recognise themselves or other combatants?

The car was also featured in Car and Car Conversations magazine as one of the contestants in the 1993 converted car of the year challenge.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gIoKI2gf5QY

Cheers

Adam

adsblacksud

Post by adsblacksud »

I took my car to the body shop yesterday for a nearside rear arch repair to be followed by a full respray.

After that it will be a decent exhaust (anyone heard from Shrew lately??), a rolling road carb and ignition set-up (it's on megajolt), suspension alignment and off we go!
Attachments
IMG_4877.JPG
IMG_4873.JPG

alfatwo

Post by alfatwo »

kammatic wrote:That's it! Jane Cheffings! I think the car actually had rich bitch in the window as her name lol
I did two stints working there ( mad I know )
The cars were platinum technology, green and black for a while. I was there when mark ticehurst drove a 33, he went on to do the vauxhall vectra challenge. Bloody good driver and nice bloke. I worked on both of those cars. There was another one we built, driven by Simon frost I think? He crashed it the first time out if I remember correctly. It's all coming back to me now. God that's was so many years ago but the memories all come back. I left alfatech due to the crap going on there at the time.

I'm trying to remember who drove the alfetta gtv..it might even have been Rob himself.
Just to let you know guys Jane Cheffings has Alzheimer's disease

Saw her a couple of years ago, she wasn't good

Dave

alfatwo

Post by alfatwo »

In all the years I was racing, the Nick Humphries prepped Suds were always the quickest

Being the chief engineer at Andy Rouse Engineering in the 80's and years of experience of running the BTCC Sierra Cosworth programmes he knew how to prep the race cars

He wasn't a bad driver either!

Dave

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

alfatwo wrote:In all the years I was racing, the Nick Humphries prepped Suds were always the quickest

Dave
Ah, sorry Dave, but I'm going to have to contradict you there but I also admit to being ever so slightly biased!

Ted

alfatwo

Post by alfatwo »

Ted27sud wrote:
alfatwo wrote:In all the years I was racing, the Nick Humphries prepped Suds were always the quickest

Dave
Ah, sorry Dave, but I'm going to have to contradict you there but I also admit to being ever so slightly biased!

Ted
Ok Ted, the other two that come to mind are Nick Sismay's and the parts box Sud from Cubley's

I saw that a few years ago, it was in a terrible state!

Dave

junior

Post by junior »

Nick Sismay worked on my car, did he work on many back then ?

alfatwo

Post by alfatwo »

junior wrote:Nick Sismay worked on my car, did he work on many back then ?
Not really, his dad used to do all the work on the race cars

Dave