From Road car to Race car - Alfa 33

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
Brovold

Re: From Road car to Race car - Alfa 33

Post by Brovold »

:D
Attachments
image.jpg

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

nice collection of cars 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

Over 35 different Alfa Romeo's and some Italian brothers and sisters had a great time in the sun here i Norway. Great day!

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

As Kev said , great collection of Alfas and great weather too . Bet the 4c was fun 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

New frontlip installed :-)

Some cutting and handeling to get it to fit, but now it's in place and with "snap on" mounts.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Nice splitter!

whats happened to the bonnet though?

Looks like Corleone hasn't aged well! ;)
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

petrolhead wrote:Nice splitter!

whats happened to the bonnet though?

Looks like Corleone hasn't aged well! ;)
The paint is cracking - or aging Don C. - depending how you look at it. It might be that I did not sandpaper it enough (was polished) before painting. I also did the black just with a spray can down in the basement, so myst blame myself ;-(

Not sure if I should sand the black down again and give it a new go??

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Slitter looks good 8-)
As for the painting :shock: :lol: yeah just sand it back and redo , but make sure there no wax on the bonnet ;)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

Here some pics of the bumper mounting. Have left the original bumper brackets on the car si it's easy to slide the bumper in place, rest is just hood lock's and angle brackets
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

The upgrades worked great, and two more trophies for Don C :-)

Pole Position after qualification, stayde in front in first race, so class and heat victory. Race two I was second on the grid (no. two had better lap time then me in race one), but late breaking in turn 1 gave me the lead that I kept until the checkered flag, and I secured me third strait win :-)

Only challange was the sun and heat on saturday. I think I warped mye break disks, so now it's a bit shakey when I break hard. Should be possible to machine down, or......???

Nice weather, nice friends, nice racing, so all in all a really nice weekend
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Great result brovold 8-)
All your hard work on prepping the car is now starting to pay off . Well done chap! What do you think was the best upgrade you've done so far?
With the disks , I would replace . As machining them will make them thinner and heat up quicker ;) I would try and run more cooling to them.
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

Johnboy wrote:Great result brovold 8-)
All your hard work on prepping the car is now starting to pay off . Well done chap! What do you think was the best upgrade you've done so far?
With the disks , I would replace . As machining them will make them thinner and heat up quicker ;) I would try and run more cooling to them.

Best upgrade?? Most definitely Intrax coilovers, rebuilding/overhauling the enginge and slightly ported in/outlet

Besides that: agressive camber in front and some in the rear, small toe in front and neutral rear, Tarox G88 disc and Ferodo DS3000, 2" exhoust from manifold and back (original crossover manifold), removing the front anti roll bar, new and lighter radiator,

Want:
- CSC stainless crossover manifold
- Endless break pads
- Larger front brakes
- Rear break discs
- oil cooler or dry sump
- and a lot more.....

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Nice upgrades , the manifold I wouldn't bother with a cross over, I'm sure shrew can help you design one ;) bigger front brakes mite help. There's a few guys on here have used different car makers brakes with success. It's just a case of finding what fits.
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I'm all ears!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

petrolhead wrote:I'm all ears!
I'm all out of money... ;-)

Pål

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

:lol: the joys of racing . Never ending spending :D
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

On the manifold front, I was told by one race engine builder that on a lightly modified car the original Alfa manifold is fairly good as it stands.

Having said that the sprint I have currently does have a crossover manifold fitted to it.

If you have a standard manifold, the joints can sometimes overlap internally, reducing power so I do remember it being cut at the pipe joints, excess metal cut out and welded back up.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Veesix75 wrote:On the manifold front, I was told by one race engine builder that on a lightly modified car the original Alfa manifold is fairly good as it stands.

Having said that the sprint I have currently does have a crossover manifold fitted to it.

If you have a standard manifold, the joints can sometimes overlap internally, reducing power so I do remember it being cut at the pipe joints, excess metal cut out and welded back up.

I wish i could agree with the first bit Tim, but i can't! :D !
Ask Kev what difference he felt from the manifold and system built for his 16v Sud, it's quite convincing.

the second bit however is very true, not only are they undersized yet 3 mile long, most were very badly assembled too.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

cadwell track day, out of hairpin and to last corner at barn. you had a choice, change up to 3rd or hold in 2nd with loads of revs.
next time out, only engine changes were the shrew designed and built exhaust, heads back with equal length headers etc. a real thing of beauty. now you had to change up to 3rd, it got up the revs that much quicker that you reached the rev limiter way before turn in point at barn.

must say that i've always been slightly sceptical of just how good or not exhausts can be, how much difference they make.
not anymore ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Was it short 4 pipes to longer 2 pipes, or long 4 pipes to shorter 2 pipes on Kev's 16v?

I'm sure I read in a tuning book one is biased towards torque and the other to top end power. The longer 4 pipes being torque?

Have I lost my memory on that shrew or does it make a difference.

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

Well boys, you can enjoy the original sound in this videos from the weekend. To bad i had the camera forward, as usual, in the first race - but last race it's mounted in the rear where the action is...

race 5:
http://youtu.be/wx_QZQljvtU

race 6:
http://youtu.be/C2-dUQzEuz0

Pål

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Actually, not sure mine is a crossover, it's equal lengths tho I think. I will take a photo next time I'm underneath the car.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

here's my old 16V (now shrews) that he built the exhaust for, sure i've some pics somewhere of the build....

this one was on my trailer
Attachments
P210513_18.54.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

nice video's, and well done mate.

exhausts Tim, as a general rule, short headers are biased towards top end power motors, such as drag engines

secondaries are added to create a broader spread of torque, and to aid scavenge in paired cylinders, and can be tailored to place peaks of torque according to the cars use.

lose rules, and all rules can be played with of course, but equal lengths and a good healthy practice of high quality construction is a must, even if you don't have the sums quite spot on.

If your exhaust is from Dave's build, it could well be a crossover, as he is one of the few fans of them.

Most folk find them too compromising on ground clearance unless using a shallow dry sump set up, and tricky to get the routing right to work well and with equal lengths, or in other words

more expensive! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Well done on your wins! The circuit looks good fun - it seems to flow quite well. I do prefer a rolling start too, the ARCA series tried them several years ago but whilst it saved a few transmissions off the line it didn't really solves the first corner incidents (just made them happen at a higher speed!).

Shrew made a race exhaust for my 16v race car a couple of years ago - we didn't want a crossover, Shrew - please feel free to post pics of it up!

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

BS25 wrote:Well done on your wins! The circuit looks good fun - it seems to flow quite well. I do prefer a rolling start too, the ARCA series tried them several years ago but whilst it saved a few transmissions off the line it didn't really solves the first corner incidents (just made them happen at a higher speed!).

Shrew made a race exhaust for my 16v race car a couple of years ago - we didn't want a crossover, Shrew - please feel free to post pics of it up!
Happy with rolling start! We have that on all races we do in Norway, but for season start in Sweden it's a standing start. This year it was so wet in Sweden, so no problem for any transmissions :-)

Pål

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Heres a few pictures for future reference

a race manifold on a wet sump 16v sud (kev/my own)
DSC_1540 - Copy.jpg

the race manifold on the BLS race 33, with dry sump
PHP 16v equal length.jpg

a crossover for 16v 33 road car, onto a cat, wet sump motor
PHP 16v crossover.jpg

a crossover from mandrel bends, on a dry sump 8v race sprint
DSC_0595.JPG
SHREW

I AM the Law!

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Good pics - though mine is a wet sump using the much copied BLS 'big wings' wet sump design 8-)

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Of course it is Bryan,

I was just testing you :lol: :lol: :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

Nice Shrew :-)

Here is some more pics from last weekend
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg