From Road car to Race car - Alfa 33

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
PETROLHEAD

Re: From Road car to Race car - Alfa 33

Post by PETROLHEAD »

good luck mate,

no need for the water wings this time then hopefully! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

4th place in race 3, but worked my way up in race 4 to this one...

Video will come later on
Attachments
image.jpg

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Well done , great result brovold ! Look forward to the video 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Brilliant! spot on mate!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

Took me some time to understand that you don't get aquaplaning on a dry day with sun and 25 degrees, so ended 5th in qualification. But after two laps in first race I finally got it, but then the gap was to big. I managed to get back on the rear bumper of no. 3 when the flag came....if it just where one more lap.....

Started 4th in race 2 in my class, managed to take two of them in first corner, and the last (red Alfa 156) in the next loong corner. Was just a matter of keeping the head cool and the white BMW (guest class driving with us) i had up my ass out of my way. It got past in the end, but did'nt slow me down to much.

And the car is still driveable.......!!!

Here is race 4 (race 3 will come later on)

http://youtu.be/tJ8k89KRdi0

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

well done again Brov.

its a mixed bag of competitors isn't it.

what spec is that 75? it looks a quick thing!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

It comes from Sweden and entered our series late last year.

Here is the original built tread I think (nick for builder:"bjurman"):
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine- ... quirt.html

And here the new one in Norwegian (but a lot of inbord movies):
http://www.corsaitaliana.no/forum/index.php?topic=438.0

A note on the new Norvegian owner/driver, he drove this car for the first time ever on the same track we did this weekend - 3 sec faster then the builder

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

And by the way, my name is Pål (Paul for you English speaking folks)

:-)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

hi paul :D

well done on the race result, great stuff 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Morning Paul
Great drive and great victory , love your built in g meter. Ie the fluffy dice :mrgreen: nice flowing track , that BMW couldn't get away from you :D
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

Thank's again guy's :-)

Here is race 3. Slow start, but happy with the last laps

http://youtu.be/Sdi6je5OeVE

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

Qustion:
I now drive with the front anti roll bar installed. Would it be an idea to remove this? Would it help my inner front wheel stay in contact with the ground when cornering?

I know I want a slip diff for Xmas, but until then...

Pål

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Brovold wrote:Qustion:
I now drive with the front anti roll bar installed. Would it be an idea to remove this? Would it help my inner front wheel stay in contact with the ground when cornering?

Pål

thats is a known theory paul, let the front wheels track the surface whilst the rear is responsible for stiffer handling overall.

quite a stiff rear arb is usually needed to do this, and often results in lifting the inner rear wheel on hard cornering, but its outright grip rather than forward traction thats more at risk so overall pace can still be improved.

and of course on a 33, this usually means a bit of a custom build item for rear arb.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

As you know, I have Intrax suspention with 40 clicks adjustment on damping from Full Open to Block. In front I differ due to the conditions on raceday (20 clicks on a normal day, 25-30 clicks on warm/sticky day), but in rear i use 39 clicks. I can change to stiffer springs, but what else can I do (except front anti roll bar)?

With the cage inside stiffening in the rear, is there an idea to weld a bar crossover on the damper tower? This is not needed in front I would guess, due to the construction of the enginge bay? Or....??

Pål

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Yeah i agree with your theory that the second bulkhead in our engine bay would be bracing already, but, that hasn't stopped other folk using a front strut brace aswell, so i should think there is still a benefit to be had from that.

This is all assuming it stays dry by the way, if the heavens open like your first event, then back it all way off again and soften her up for more grip and traction.

very few folk can find a happy medium once you're into track built specials, it goes on and on for years! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Brovold

Post by Brovold »

Have not found a 3-bolt front strut brace anywhere, only 4-bolt, so might have to make one...

After the flip last year smashing the right side, and the crash on the left this year, I think an 4 wheel allignment is in order also.

Anyone have any ideas on neg camber in the rear? I have fixed axel and drum breaks back there... ;-)

Also happy to hear any tip on amount camber/toe in front

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Right
The rear drums are bolted on with three bolts each side, so what the race boys do is put say two washers on the bottom and one on top. I would play around with thicknesses to get the right angle ;) as for bracing the rear shock towers go for it . you can brace from the top of towers or Chris cross from top to bottom with two tubes .
Hope this helps