Driveshafts

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
rsfruitbat

Driveshafts

Post by rsfruitbat »

I am running in board brakes i.e. Sud front suspension setup With Wilwood Pwerlite calipers and 260mm discs.
brakes are big improvement on Sud setup.

Did an event yesterday and had a driveshaft snap in the middle. I have had a CV let go and the splined end on the shoulder snap.

Anyone else had this happen?
WP_20170501_15_49_50_Pro.jpg
Thanks for posting pic Shrew.
What do the racers use? one -offs or is there a better shaft to pick or does something from another car fit?

I have been told there is a larger outer CV shaft but when i tried fitting it to my setup the CV boot was catching the stirrup on the lback end of the leading arm. I may try fitting 33 front arms to see if this creates a bit of "air"

any suggestions on where to go appreciated

rsfruitbat

rsfruitbat

Re: Driveshafts

Post by rsfruitbat »

still hunting for driveshafts.

looking for new CV joints at the moment.
How do you count external splines i.e a male spline? i have counted 23 peaks but can only find outer CVs listing 22.
The internal side (female ) is right at 25 but i took this number by counting the peaks on the end of the driveshaft.

am i missing something?

rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

peaks is the correct method to count mate, not the troughs. so you're right there.
shrew has a bunch of shafts that I sold him some time back, may be worth dropping him a text. varying states of ends though but if you're getting new CV joints then the shafts will be useful
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Ive been in contact with John at justsuds to start with so i'll see where that goes to start with.

i'll contact shrew and see if he has still got them and what he is after for them.

tried the CV ive got in a couple of hubs so its definately not a one-off.
i'm probably going to pop it all down my local motor factors tomorrow and see if they can come up with any alternatives.

I have also dropped aHM and e-mail!

keep trying eh!

rsfruitbat

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hello RSFruitbat,

Are these any good for you?

http://r.ebay.com/mzTNb5

Where your driveshaft snapped there is normally a raised land. I can't see that on your failed driveshaft?
I don't think the driveshafts we are using when racing are anything special and we have big vented inboard discs with hi spec 4 pot calipers.

Brgds,
Simon

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I've definitely got some shafts Ade, just need to sort through whats what! :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi Marlow

i have looked at those a couple of times but it says 22 teeth on output side and my CV's have 23. Dont know if its a typo or what. I have tried 3 different cvs ive got and they all have 23.

I have been in contact with shafttech and they are supposed to be checking it out for me.

Shrew
If you do find them let me know what you want for the as it looks like i need to increase my spares stock.

John at Justsuds is also trying to help me

Thanks rsfruitbat

junior

Post by junior »

Just finished preparing my drive shafts and found I have one spare. I bought three hoping to make up two good ones, but they were all fine.

The now spare one some one slotted the male end with cut. No idea why. I would expect it has weakened it though.

If your interested I am happy to do photo's. Otherwise all cleaned out, regreased, professionally checked and ready to go.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi junior

the slot must have been an option or certain manufaturer as i have a CV with exactly the same slot.

could you do me a favour and count the number of splines / peaks on the outer CV that bolts into the hub???

thanks rsfruitbat

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Guys,
This Autodelta one advertised on Alfasud Parts has a slot cut in it.
I guess that if you screw a bolt into the end of the shaft the slot allows the splined section to expand and grip the splines?
FullSizeRender.jpg
Brgds
Simon

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

That is curious. I know that Alfa changed the torque specification on the hub retaining nut, but I haven't seen this before. I would have thought the factory would specify some sort of fillet lock (you know what I mean, like thread locking compound for close-fitting parts) before doing something this radical.

That said, I can't imagine slotting the driveshaft at this point would make a significant difference to the overall strength.

junior

Post by junior »

That looks just like my one ! That has surprised me as I have found so many odd bits I just thought it was yet another. :D

junior

Post by junior »

Cripes I just looked at the price for an extra slot in the end. Hacksaw out in the morning I think. :lol:

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

If anyone gets a chance can they count the number of splines / peaks on the pointy end of their outer CV joint please????

rsfruitbat

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Here you go:
IMG_5986.JPG
Brgds
Simon

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

I make it 23 slots for driveshaft splines to fit into.
Brgds
Simon

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

The hub is from a 1974 1.2 ti. Just in case there are differences amongst models.
Brgds
Simon

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Chatting to Dad today, he said that all very early Sud driveshafts had the slot - so beware that they may be upto 46 years old! He couldn't recall when the slotted version dissapeared.

junior

Post by junior »

23 splines on mine. Was autodelta stuff much better then back in the day ?

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Autodelta was Alfa's in-house competition department - though the driveshaft slot wasn't an Autodelta thing, it was early mainstream production.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Thanks guys

everything i have got is 23 outer splines as well
so....

if loads of stuff on the internet is listed as 22 does it mean they have got it wrong, or are there no new outer CV,s out there?

How much was that autodelta driveshaft?

rsfruitbat

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Just resurrecting this thread. Still having problems with driveshaft breakages.
Any suggestions on where to get updated versions from for inboard brakes. I have had inner c.v. Fail, shaft itself, but most commonly th splined section of the outer cv as it goes into the hub.

Any suggestions appreciated

Rsfruitbat

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Ade. Have you tried Dave Mac Propshafts in Coventry I know that they can make upgraded half shafts for almost anything. I’m sure they’d be able to help with drive shafts.
I can confirm Bryan’s comment from Tom about the early cars having the slot. I also seem to recall that a green loctite type compound was used as std from the factory this meant the shafts had to be pressed out of the hub with a special tool (that I have)
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Thanks Loo I will give them a try.

Rsfruitbat

LooLooSud33Spider

This is They’re Website
https://davemacprops.co.uk/
Btw Ade have you still got my name on that Tank please ?
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Still there, was looking at it yesterday

Rsfruitbat

LooLooSud33Spider

:D