CTCRC CHAMPIONSHIP 2016 - RESULTS

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
Marlow Sud

CTCRC CHAMPIONSHIP 2016 - RESULTS

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Guys,

The provisional results are in.
Well done to Ted for his two race wins beating all other cars regardless of class.
Well done to Malcolm for becoming Class D Champion 2016 and second in the overall Championship points.
Results 2016.JPG
All the best,
Simon

Veesix75

Re: CTCRC CHAMPIONSHIP 2016 - RESULTS

Post by Veesix75 »

Very well done chaps, including Duncan, great result.

Not just good results, but your lap times have been very consistent in your races, something I struggle with for some reason.

The handling and stopping are more important than worrying about power and you've done a great job on those, the SC was clearly good on power first time you used it at Silverstone (when it ran clean), and the trofeo goes to show a well set up and we'll driven smaller engine can do well (just look at the quick mini's).

I'm a bit torn on where to race next year, hscc have confirmed Donington for its first race of 2017, but I do like pre83. Maybe I'll try both again.

Unfortunately I was punted off at Silverstone last week in the 70's Roadsports race by a kamikaze Scimitar of all things, so some rear quarter panel damage to sort out. Very frustrating but the first time in 15 years so can't moan too much.

See you next year.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Forgot to add, great drives by Lee Penn in classic thunder in his 33. I think I saw Adie Hawkins with him at Silverstone, and Adie looks to be re-building his 33 for next year so could be 2 fast boxers in Thunder next year.

If Tim Lewis brought his Sprint out, and Bryan had a go, then a bunch of Alfa's could also shock some quick Thunder cars :D

I remember a green modified gtv6 that would probably do well in thunder, it might be Matt black now?

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Tim,

Sorry to here you got punted. First time in 15 years! You are lucky.

Trofeo - punted at Castle Combe 2015 by a Firenza.
Golf - punted at Snetterton 2015 by a Scirocco.
SC - punted at Donnington 2015 by a Honda.
Trofeo - punted during track day practice at Silverstone 2016 by a Clio I think.

Luckily the Clio just left a couple of blue skid marks on my rear valance so I guess 2016 has been a good year for us in that sense.

Always good when you can join us Tim. Hope to see you in 2017. The major turning point for the SC and Trofeo was setup and brakes by Tom.

Brgds,
Simon

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Veesix75 wrote:If Tim Lewis brought his Sprint out, and Bryan had a go, then a bunch of Alfa's could also shock some quick Thunder cars :D

I remember a green modified gtv6 that would probably do well in thunder, it might be Matt black now?
Thats correct Tim, it is now matt black under Ian Stapleton's ownership iirc

I find it quite an exciting car personally. sounds bloody marvellous too with a big bore V6, 3.8 i think.

I keep trying to pinch his wheels! Huge deep dish Compomotive Turbo and Revolution RFX split rims! lol! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Ian's owned that car for years now - through it's green and black era! It's a 3.8 24v V6 - comfortably north of 400bhp. Ian does very well with it in the CSCC Modsports series.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

On a side note to this, i would like to congratulate the CTCRC alfa lads, for a geat season, committed and determined all of you and it has paid off.

BUT, i'm currently involved with building and preparing another Sud for the series, but oddly, since you guys finished the season so strongly, it would appear that a few noses are out of joint.

We were intending to follow suit of the precedence already set with Malcolm and Richards pre83 sub-1600cc engined cars, but have so far been stonewalled with the idea, and told a max oversized 1.5 is all that will be permitted.

I sincerely hope you guys aren't going to be forced to comply with some pegging back of the "pesky old'Suds" for next season?

Any news or info on that would be greatly appreciated, because as of now, the build is on standby as the scarce advice from CTCRC is so far a little discouraging for us.

:?: :?: :?:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

:x

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Shrew,
Can you PM me with what you want to build so we can speak to the organisers. They are pretty good when they know the background.
Brgds,
Simon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

The published pre 83 regs are quite clear in not allowing the engine to be stroked, but I'd put grid size before that. However the Scottish classics series has the same regs (hence Rodgers dry sump 1500), and the hscc is similar but includes carb restrictions.

Would a 1500 within regs be such an issue Shrew, does that additional 100cc make a massive difference? Simon only has 1300cc and look at his results this year.

A 1500cc car can run at a lighter weight than a 1600cc car, ask Tom if the extra 100cc and 10bhp (?) more is better with a 1600cc, or if 20kg less weight is better with a 1500cc with 10bhp less? However if those that know say that a 1600 will give loads more power then let me know and I'll consider it too. You will get a 1500 sud on the class weight limit readily enough.

I genuinely dont know the answer but worth pondering, sticking to regs makes it a safer bet longer term.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

All very valid questions and points Tim, i have asked the same of the cars owner myself and the engine plan is very much up in the air.

However, no-one in the right mind would allow their desired engine build to be restricted to a lesser spec than that of at least 2 class rivals,

How can they say no to something that already exists, twice!

They've also been very slow to respond to our queries, but we don't want to be too pushy on it just in case it backfires for Malcolm and Richard, so it will simply mean we'll race elsewhere in another guise at the moment.

Shame though...
SHREW

I AM the Law!

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

Sounds messy. But surely it needs to be one set of rules for all?

I understand you not wanting to make it difficult for other competitors though.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Well hopefully pragmatism will focus on grid sizes and the contribution the cars make to the series overall so hopefully that will continue - there wouldn't have been a Class D without the Suds'.

The Suds did well this year because the drivers performed exceptionally well and extracted the maximum from their cars on ability / capability, not based on engine cc's.

I can vouch for that when I passed Simon in a straight line, only for Simon to out brake and out corner me on the outside and disappear down the track (top move Simon - very impressive!).

Malcolm has been super consistent in lap times, qualifying, good starts and has driven exceptionally well and deserves his successes based on his performance overall which has been top notch.

Well done again chaps and optimistically looking forward to being on the grid together again next year - hopefully with another new Sud that Shrew is helping build, and Duncan and Ted again in their Sprint and Sud......roll on Cadwell Park 2017.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Guys,

We have really enjoyed our year. None of our cars comply and the CTCRC have been good enough to accommodate us.

If I was starting with a car from fresh, I would build it to regs. Carrying 20KG of lead because of an extra 30cc is not attractive.

I would like to think I was an out-breaking God Tim but then someone is going to remind me my wheels are 8in wide! That is why I am in class D 1301-1600cc with a 1298cc engine but I am happy with that.

The more cars we get, the more fun it is for everyone. Looking forward to Julian joining us and I will be in touch to help see through your acceptance. Duncan is the expert in making lead blocks!

Do be aware that the CTCRC may be a little weary of Suds at the minute. The overall Champion is a very good driver in the dry and the wet and had not lost a race all season until Ted came along. What a weekend that was for Suds.

All the best,
Simon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Two good points made Simon.......lead blocks are not nice and should be avoided, and the ctcrc have been a very welcoming and friendly club every time I've raced with them.

I think I need some new bakes....wonder if Santa will have any :D

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

There's nothing wrong with being accommodating but they are being selective on who they are accommodating.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Marlow Sud wrote: The overall Champion is a very good driver in the dry and the wet and had not lost a race all season until Ted came along. What a weekend that was for Suds.

Indeed it was Simon. Awesome !! 8-)