Castle Combe 16th/17th July

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
BS25

Castle Combe 16th/17th July

Post by BS25 »

I'll be out with the 33 for the first time this year at Castle Combe next weekend. It will be a bit of a test session as much of a race weekend as we've gone from radials to cross ply slicks in a bid to find a suitable tyre compound. This has led to fundamental suspension geometry changes and with no opportunity to test or bed the tyres in this will have to take place during qualifying.

Some of the other races will be good - especially the HRDC Touring Car Greats (very quick A40's, etc). The timetable is pretty good for us with a race early on Saturday evening and then Sunday morning. Here's the links:-

http://www.brscc.co.uk/CASTLE-COMBE---B ... D-14-08-43

http://alfaracer.com/events/castle-combe-2016/

Oxfordshire driver

Re: Castle Combe 16th/17th July

Post by Oxfordshire driver »

Good luck for the weekend Bryan, I am sure you have the setup sorted for the new tyres.
I had some fun at Castle Combe last year, for me I think it is one of those tracks that I will never quite get right. However I do say that about all the tracks I venture onto. :roll:
The entry list looks entertaining, you even have Theo Profiteroles in an A35!

Will be glued to the TSL timings.

adsblacksud

Post by adsblacksud »

Hello Bryan

I'll be there on Saturday with my son and would love to have a look around your 33 for a bit of inspiration if it is not intruding.

I first took my boy in my long departed Sud to spectate at Castle Combe in 1990 when there were probably 25 - 30 Suds and 33s in the AROC class F race.

The sound as they all buzzed up the slope at Avon Rise where we were standing and into Quarry was incredible.

That's why I ended up with an ex class F sud when the opportunity arose.

Cheers

Adam

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Thanks Malcolm - the pre-1999 Combe (no chicanes) was really, really quick but in fairness to them the changes haven't detracted too much from the character of the place. Always good crowds and the trip round on the class and overall winners car is a nice touch. I've been lucky enough to have some great results at Combe so hopefully more of the same at the weekend. That said, the last time I was there was 2001 so some tyre scrubbing/circuit re-learning will occupy me during qualifying. I wonder if Mr Profiteroles will have the Grumpy Woman and the Exceedingly Tall Man with him for company :)

Hi Adam, absolutely do come and say hello - I'm the only 33 there these days so you can't miss us (or miss hearing us!). See you on Saturday :)

adsblacksud

Post by adsblacksud »

Hello Bryan,

It'll be Sunday now as my son was called into work - best of luck today.

Thanks

Adam

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Good luck Bryan. I will be watching on TSL timing and wish you every success with the new tyres.

All the best,
Simon

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Quick update!

Great race yesterday - made a really good start to lead then held off the 3.8 V6 until he had a driveshaft problem on lap 9. Ended up winning by over a minute (it wasn't a great entry).
Today I made an even better start and my main rival had sorted his driveshaft but made a bad start - I led the first lap by over 7 seconds. After that I looked after the car and managed the gap - it was at 4.5 seconds and then my throttle stuck open heading into Tower. I stayed on the tarmac but was an obvious retirement - the problem being in the engine bay rather than the pedal. We will take a look into it.

So a positive weekend, I was somewhat rusty having not been on track since October last year - but the car and tyres went well! :D

BS25

Post by BS25 »

My lucky mascot was present over the weekend - Jixxer in attendance with Shrew! Other than the win on Saturday he was also rewarded by a look round a Ferrari F40 in the paddock - still stunning cars!

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Great results Bryan. Really pleased the tyres worked out so well.

All the best,
Simon

adsblacksud

Post by adsblacksud »

It was a pleasure to meet both Bryan and Shrew today and despite the disappointment in the race they gave up loads of time to talk with myself and my son Lewis and give us good look around this magnificently presented car.

There is no question about it; the BLS 33 was the best sounding car out there today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG-_JQ7Vt0A

Many thanks,

Adam

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Nice clip Adam, the car does look and sound awesome.
Bryan, glad to hear the weekend, overall, was a positive one.

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Thanks guys!

Adam - nice to meet yourself and Lewis - glad you got to take a good look at the car. It's also good to watch the clip of the car - I obviously get a different view/sound - but so many people say it sounds great and it's good to see/hear what they do :)

I've got some footage of Race 1 to upload, I'll get onto that over the next few evenings.

Oxfordshire driver

Post by Oxfordshire driver »

Well done Bryan!
A stuck throttle at any corner is not what you want but at Tower would be a challenge. Not much run-off there!
Great result in the first race and I guess you will be sticking with your new tyres.

The car sounds magnificent in Adam's video clip.

All the best,
Malcolm