CTCRC 2016

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
Oxfordshire driver

CTCRC 2016

Post by Oxfordshire driver »

Hi All
The next CTCRC outing is this weekend (18/19 June) at Donington.
Here is a link to the provisional timetable:- http://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=timet ... 162421.pdf
Of course you can also link to the live timings here during the racing:- http://www.tsl-timing.com/event/162421 (if you really need to get out of cutting the grass)

Taplow driver (Duncan) will be out in the red Sprint.
I will be out in the red SC. (new big brakes and suspension! Just me lacking in talent now..)

Both races look as though they are going to be dry and on the National circuit (no Melbourne hairpin which is a bit of a shame for the Alfa's).

Qualifying = 10:35

first race Sat @ 14:00

Second race Sun @ 15:20 on Motors tv

All the best,
Malcolm

Kegsti66

Re: CTCRC 2016

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cheers Malcolm,
I will see how Dad feels about a trip out.
So have you now got a similar set up to Simon on the Trofeo?
Have a good weekend .

Oxfordshire driver

Hi Keith
I now have identical brakes to Simon's Trofeo, Hi-Spec 4 pot calipers, ventilated inboard discs and CL RC6 pads.
I believe suspension as very close to Simon's. Set up should be there or thereabouts. Tom has worked his magic and I cannot wait to try it out!
Now this may sound like I am getting the excuses in early but I should point out that the 8j wheels and I have 6j :o
However I do have a bit more straight line speed ;) But not as much as Duncan!

Cheers
Malcolm

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Sounds great.
Best make sure the go-pro is charged. :D
Hope all goes well. You could see the huge improvement and confidence Simon gained with his car.
Watch out Duncan, he's coming for you. :lol:

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Good luck Malcolm, hope it all goes well and you enjoy the recent upgrades :-)

Taplow Sprint

Post by Taplow Sprint »

Good to see you have noticed my straight line speed :) its all about how you leave that last bend !!!!!

Unfortunately I didn't leave the last bend very well mountain biking this morning and have damaged a bit of my vintage bodywork so not going to make Donington as can't now get in the car!

Will be watching your times, good luck Malc as the only surviving member of the Jeff's racing squad its all up to you!

Cheers
Dunn

Oxfordshire driver

Thanks Bryan, I am really looking forward to chucking the SC into the corners and slamming on the brakes later than normal.
Last year at Donington I recall the brakes disappearing from me 2 laps from the end, not a confidence builder when tackling the Melbourne hairpin! Also the cockpit filling with smoke as the gearbox oil spewed out of the breather at the top of the gearbox down onto the exhaust and back up through the split gaiter on the stick. Received an 'oil' flag at Snetterton for that as well.
All fixed now and also a baffled oil sump, new main bearings with Toms magic woven throughout it all.
I just hope I don't screw it all up tangling with a pesky 05 car on the first corner!

Duncan, get well soon. Stick with racing 1980's cars, mountain bikes are dangerous and can kill!

All the best
Malcolm

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Good luck Malcolm .......you need to aim for sub 1:28. :D

Oxfordshire driver

Thanks Tim.
Shame you couldn't come along and show me how to get sub 1:28's ;)

Oxfordshire driver

Hi All
The car ran really well at Donington on the Saturday. Tom has done a lovely job setting it up with hardly any of the body roll we had at Rockingham. The brakes are magnificent!
I had a quick look around for times to aim for as I have not run the National circuit at Donington before. I found some old times of Tim's in his 33, 1.33 - 1.34 and more importantly I found some times from Duncan's Sprint when it was in the hands of the previous owner (Ibrahim?). He was doing 1.34's.
My best lap for Saturday was a 1.31.0 which I was very pleased with as I am having to adapt my driving style to suit the new setup. As you will no doubt see from the video there is a lot more time to be gained if I can just get my head around the Craner Curves and also Redgate.
I had a great time battling with the Mini, any car to have a battle with makes for a fun bit of track time.
I will put some pics up, one from Rockingham and one from Donington to try and show the magic Tom has performed.

Sunday was not so good, electrical failure on lap 2 put me into retirement. Complete cut-out (under heavy cornering at Redgate), coasted to a halt, ignition off, ignition on and started up again. Definitly electical and not fuel starvation. Main suspects; HT lead, battery master switch connections or ignition column connections. Any other areas to check?

https://youtu.be/MJVd4qjItkU

All the best
Malcolm

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Malcolm,
Cracking lap time, just shows the difference with a better set up.
I saw the Sunday race and you having to pull out, that was a real shame. Hope you can trace the fault quickly and sort it out.
Loved the trip around , you had a good duel with the mini :shock: . The old Jags had a good weekend didn't they. Thanks.
All the best.
Keith.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Well done Malcolm, good lap time and very consistent also lap after lap.

I did get ahead of myself slightly, my fastest lap at Donington in my old prod spec 33 was actually a 1:30. I Thought it as 1:29 hence pushing you for a 1:28! The very quick drivers in prod spec 16vs were hitting 1:27's.

Irrespective I'd be very pleased with both your time and consistency. :D Donington can also be a bit inconsistent, sometimes seems a bit more slippery than other days and I think the circuit has changed a bit since my 1:30. The back straight might be shorter and the Esses arrive earlier hence that would be a slower lap than the previous format, so your 1:31 is a good result.

My conditioned reflex has never allowed me to take Craner flat, brain says yes, foot lift says no. Redgate is a late turn in.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Have you got a Rev limiter fitted ? I had all sorts of random cut outs with am omex rev limiter on my old Sud . We finally disconnected it and all was fine. Did it cut out any where else on heavy cornering or just redgate ?

I just watched the vid, the circuit is different so slightly longer lap time now to before I reckon hence the 1:31 is a great time.

Great start off the grid and the car looks quicker in the video overall compared to Rockingham, although you might be driving it harder also overall?

I'd suggest redgate in 3rd, sounds like you were in 4th, up the hill after old hairpin flat out with no lift in 4th(it will do it) and the double apex before the back straight might be better going into in 3rd and pulling 4th as you come out onto the straight. I can't tell you to do Craner flat cos I don't either !
Last edited by Veesix75 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

fogartys chicane for the full circuit was straightened out considerably a couple of years ago, not sure about for the national circuit though?
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Oxfordshire driver

A couple of pics;
battling with Simon and understeer at rockingham
12983232_1742639289287564_8101626235275150828_o.jpg
and now loaded up through Roberts..
IMG_4839.JPG
Hi Tim, yes a rev limiter is fitted. I will stick that on the list to check. Thanks for the pointer.